What's new

Blasphemy Laws: Minorities to launch campaign

Dance

Reaction score
LAHORE: The All Pakistan Minorities Alliance (APMA) has resolved to continue its struggle against blasphemy laws (Section 295-A, B, C) as well as all laws discriminating against Ahmadis, MPA Perveiz Rafique, an APMA member, said on Thursday.

Rafique said that the APMA had decided to launch a campaign for repeal of Section 295-C.

The participants demanded that a judicial commission be formed to probe the brutal murder of federal minister Shahbaz Bhatti.

Blasphemy Laws: Minorities to launch campaign – The Express Tribune

I see turbulent days ahead for Pakistan, especially if this drive goes on schedule...

I see turbulent days ahead for Pakistan, especially if this drive goes on schedule...
As long as they peacefully protest (which I know they will) then no one has the right to stop them. People have protested against this law before

They should be wary about suicide bombers who usually don't spare rallies other than by Sunni Muslims especially after LeJ chief has been given bail by Pak court.

There is no problem in blasphemy law itself, problem is its misuse. A very strict law should be made for its enforcement either by introducing new law or amendment in current one.

§ 295-C forbids defaming the prophet Muhammad. Except for § 295-C, the provisions of § 295 require that an offence be a consequence of the accused's intent....

....If a charge is laid under § 295-C, the trial must take place in a Court of Session with a Muslim judge presiding.

The bold part up there clearly shows it is a problem when someone may unknowingly (with no intent) commit a mistake and shall be condemned to death. Islam is only for Muslims, but per this law even non-Muslims are presupposed to have read the book (ignorance will not be an excuse).

It is outright discrimination.

Something sure does need to change or else its a blot pakistan's judicial setup.

Something sure does need to change or else its a blot pakistan's judicial setup.

I am sure the law was very deliberately made so vague as to allow Zia and party do all in the name of God.

The law in itself is not a problem, the problem is the language which leaves open for anyone to be prosecuted - In fact, I see not a single Pakistani who can escape this law. When something so ambiguous is created, then it is meant to be used by the powerful on the powerless.

All that is required is proper editing of the law so as to make it clear and easy for people to recognize whom to prosecute and whom not to.
295-C, Use of derogatory remarks, etc., in respect of the Holy Prophet. Whoever by words, either spoken or written, or by visible representation, or by any imputation, innuendo, or insinuation, directly or indirectly, defiles the sacred name of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) shall be punished with death, or imprisonment for life, and shall also be liable to fine.
- Made in Oct. 1986

Is it really true that the minorities minister position was abolished after Shahbaz Bhatti's death?

Is it really true that the minorities minister position was abolished after Shahbaz Bhatti's death?

I thought that position would go to someones in his family, at least thats what the government said.

good for them and best of luck to them; blasphemy law is a man-made law....it should be totally crushed, repealed and forgotten in Pakistan Nation

in my opinion

something that can so easily be abused and which is so difficult to prove or disprove (blasphemy) should not have a law behind it.....it's stupid, and a waste of time. Even if someone is dumb and ignorant enough to abuse a religion, the religion doesnt change at all nor do the beliefs of the followers

Dr. Paul Bhatti is the Adviser to the Prime Minister on Minorities Affairs, with the status of Federal Minister

I believe Mr. Akram Masih Gill is current Minister of State For Minorities

both belong to the Pakistani Christian community

i think blasphemy should be applied to all religions. if anyone says anything against hindu or christian gods/beliefs, then too this law should be invoked.; thats the only amendment along with removing harsh penalty and keeping it very ligh.

Recently in Bangladesh, a Hindu teacher called our prophet a goat(nauzubillah) with respect to beard. Although his students right away protested, beat the hell out of him from the class room and then burn his house. Now the angry Muslim community want his head and perhaps he will get his due soon unless he fled to neighboring country. We do not have blasphemy law. However if we did then non-Muslim like him would have thought thousand time before such heinous remark.

Back
Top Bottom