What's new

Biker's Lounge

PW-PIMA-010.jpg

PW-PIMA-011.jpg

Look at the bright side: you will do your part in helping the government deal with the economic crisis. :D
HAHAHA, I think he will be in personal economic crisis thanks to the ridiculous tax tiers Pakistan have.

HAHAHA, I think he will be in personal economic crisis thanks to the ridiculous tax tiers Pakistan have.

Only the rich would consider a bike that in Pakistan. It is like the Landcruiser owner complaining about inflation. :D

i have done that before when I had the 300cc trail bike which I later sold because of hectic maintenance process due to lack of spare parts and mechanics. I am looking for a new bike now and i had Yamaha R6 in my mind because there are plenty of them in the market and parts are also available but then I saw this beauty. I am ready to bare the cost but not the difficulties
Even if u want to buy a super sports gsxr is much better option ... it is tuned to Pakistani environment as it is the only bike other than benelli that has dealers network in pakistan ...

R6 has heating issues in Pakistan plus its very aggressive posturing for a routine ride ... gsxr resale and after sale servuce is also much better

Look at the bright side: you will do your part in helping the government deal with the economic crisis. :D
:sarcastic: that was smooth, but the import of vehicle is already banned to balance the reserves deficit

Exactly, even if you can do some simple mechanical work (not considering dedicated ECU work, as that requires dedicated hardware), the unavailability of spare parts is a challenge on its own. As a biker I find nothing more frustrating not being able to ride my bike just because a spare part is not available in the local market.

R6 is an amazing machine, but as a former owner of one I can tell you, R6 is a thoroughbred track machine, unless we have some racing track in Pakistan (not that I am aware of) buying this machine for daily ride is not a good idea. Heck we dont even have roads with good twisty's at least in and around Karachi to be able to truly enjoy this machine. All you are left with is ride it in town, vroom here and there. The aggressive rider position is best suited for fast corners and top straight line performance.

But that is what my opinion is, I still think an adventure tourer would be better suited to Pakistan.
All of your points are valid and I think R6 is the most reliable option that I have right now and again you are right about the racing tracks. I have heard about a racing track near karachi hyderabad motorway but it'll take some time. I'll need your consultation regarding the maintenance of the bike and maybe we can meet and ride together as I am also from Karachi, If you don't mind.

Only the rich would consider a bike that in Pakistan. It is like the Landcruiser owner complaining about inflation. :D
Well for your knowledge, I am not a rich guy. I am a real estate average class broker and passionate biker, traveler.

This market in Saddar claims to sell luxury motorbikes for less than Rs 10 lakhs

SHAZIA HASAN

... but there's a catch!

5cce70ef8c985.png

One wonders if they are second-hand or refurbished models.

“I am thinking of getting a heavy motorbike for myself. It’s a BMW Motorrad. I am engaged in negotiations with the owner. Hopefully, I’ll be able to buy it for one and a half or two lakhs,” says a lady motorcycle rider who is also a part of the Pink Riders club.

But when informed that a BMW Motorrad cost far more than that, like something in the vicinity of over 50 lakhs the lady insisted that she had managed to find one far cheaper and which was also in very good condition.

How was that even possible?

The motorcycle market in Saddar these days has about 120 different brands that have nearly all been made in China. Apart from the 70CC, 100CC and 125CC motorcycles and shining scooters or the lighter scooties, as they call them, which are preferred by lady riders these days, this market also boasts of some five or six motorbike sellers who also deal in heavy bikes.

5ccde557ca8b1.jpg

Lighter motorcycles and scooters look like miniatures in front of the heavy bikes. / Photos by Fahim Siddiqi / White Star

One such dealer, Abdullah Shari, who had several beautiful machines, such as BMW, Yamaha YZF-R3 and Kawasaki, parked right before his work desk, smiles as he shares their price with Dawn. And you almost fall off your chairs when you expect to hear something like six or seven million and are told that they cost three to six lakhs in rupees only. One wonders if they are second-hand or refurbished models.

“Not everyone can afford genuine heavy bikes, the cheapest of which may cost as much as 25 to 45 lakhs,” says Shari. “Then if you are buying a second-hand genuine bike, its cost may go down to something between 16 to 25 lakhs, but here these new bikes are so reasonably priced due to their being replicas of the real thing,” he says, making everything fall into place.

5ccde5966fb32.jpg

Heavy motorbikes are all the rage these days. / Photos by Fahim Siddiqi / White Star

“What do those people who also love heavy bikes and dream of owning one but can’t afford it, do?” The dealer asks and then ends up replying to his own question. “Well, they can go for these China-manufactured first copies of the originals,” he smiles. “When parked next to an original, even someone who prides himself in knowing about heavy bikes can get confused,” he says, adding that some 70 per cent of such bikes in Pakistan are actually replicas.

He turns to his computer to show more heavy bikes that he is expecting from China in his 12th or 13th consignment. The machines which usually have a 350CC engine, have a running of about 25 to 30km per litre unlike the normal lighter bikes that one sees on the roads, which have a running of 60 to 70km per litre.

5ccde5c4edb0b.jpg

Abdullah Shari shows on his monitor a heavy bike that happens to be among his soon to arrive consignment. / Photos by Fahim Siddiqi / White Star

“But one who is willing to buy a bike worth Rs500,000 won’t really be worried about mileage,” the dealer laughs.

What he or she would be concerned about is maintenance. “We make sure to make all spare parts for this beautiful machine available as after-sales service is the key to their popularity here. Without that they will be a total flop.

5ccde5e9cadde.jpg

The running average of heavy motorbikes is about 25 to 30 km per litre. / Photos by Fahim Siddiqi / White Star /

Along with that they also come with a 2,000km engine guarantee,” he says.

All of your points are valid and I think R6 is the most reliable option that I have right now and again you are right about the racing tracks. I have heard about a racing track near karachi hyderabad motorway but it'll take some time. I'll need your consultation regarding the maintenance of the bike and maybe we can meet and ride together as I am also from Karachi, If you don't mind.

The final decision is yours, as I said earlier my personal believe regarding Supersports is that they are track based machines that are performance oriented. They are all about performance, and very little attention is paid to rider comfort or for that matter pretty much anything else. Few things to remember when you purchase your R6

1- Is it a brand new or a used one. If it is a used one, demand complete service record for the bike. It is very important the bike was serviced on time. If you decide to buy a second hand bike, ask where the bike was serviced and try visiting the mechanic to get some information before hand.
2- The kind of fuel (RON Number) used, as Pakistan does have fuel quality issues. Which engine oil was used, semi or fully synthetic.
3- Modifications done. Its always very important that the bike is stock or had been modified. The most common modifications done is replacement of exhaust system. If so was it a complete system or a slip on, if it was a complete system than they need to flash the ECU and do a dyno for proper power output and proper airfuel mixture.
4- The condition of shocks and suspensions, if they are leaking any oil. These bikes have performance and fully adjustable suspension. Believe me if they needs replacement it will be very difficult and expensive.
5- Milage is very important. Every 25K, you have to do not only valve clearance but you might have to completely replace them. Drops and accidents if any. So check the milage and inquire about valve clearance. Dont take sellers word for it, demand to see evidence of it via receipts.
6- Tires: They are often the most overlooked aspect on smaller CC bikes but believe me it will make all the difference between life and death. You need to have good quality tyres from a reputable brand such as Pirelli or Metzler. Check the tread wear pattern, this can tell you a lot on the kind of person who owned the bike. Presence of chicken strips does not mean that bike was not maintained, it simply means that the rider was not leaning enough. But if the tread pattern is uneven or focused on the centre this could mean few things such as tyre pressure was not maintained on regular bases, the wheels are off balance, and worst the rim could be bent as well. None of these are good signs.
7- Check the chain and sprocket for signs of extra wear. See if the chain appears to be loose, or appearance of rust. If the chains looks dirty or all gunk up, this is a sign that the person did not maintain the chain, hence leading to conclusion that the bike was not properly maintained. Rear sprocket can be checked by looking at the condition of the sprocket teeth, they should not be arched or making a wave in one direction.
8- Spare parts. A bike that does not have readily available spareparts is not worth owning. Ensure that before your purchase.
9- Last but not least, do a proper research about the bike you are planning to own, when you choose a bike let the owner know that you want to start the bike yourself. Request him not to start the bike on the day of meeting but only do so when you are there to inspect it. A cold start can tell you a lot about a bike if there are any problems. Ask the seller to show you where he parks the bike regularly and look for signs of any dried oil stains. Check for cracks along the fairing, foot pegs for sign of bending or sliding. You can never be too careful when buying a second hand bike. Also if possible look for a reliable mechanic.

I am a daily rider and I like to ride all my bikes, although I havent been to a track for over a year, as I have no time to do so anymore. The minimum requirement for a bike to be used as a daily rider is having ABS, I tend to stay away from bikes without ABS for normal road usage, R6 only got them in 2017 along with rider modes.
R6 wont be very comfortable to ride on for longer then an hour or may be 2 before you must take a break.
If you have never ridden a supersports before, getting used to rider position along with the amount of power at your throttle would be the biggest challenge. Respect the machine and dont try to race anyone if you do not have the skill.

In my experience R6 are not maintenance intensive machines like BMW's, KTM or Ducati's, but they do require on time and proper servicing.

Invest in proper riding gear.

-Invest in a good helmet with atleast ECE rating, DOT is utterly useless and obsolete in my opinion. BELL, HJC and LS2 are good options, they wont be cheap but still less expensive than top of the line Shoeis or AGV. Dont try to be a squid to show off.

- Buy a good jackets with D3O armour around shoulders and elbows along with chest and back protectors. There are a lot of jackets for riding being made in Pakistan, so I am sure that you can find some for local consumptions as well. Leather is the best friend of a motorcyclists but at the same time it is not very easy to wear in heat of Karachi. Mesh is a good alternate, all bigger brands offer them, Alpinestar, Komine, Icon etc. I personally prefer a brand called Tucano Urbano, I find their mesh jackets to be the best. I had been involved in an accident and the jacket did held up very nice.

-Invest in a good riding jeans with kevlar lining and built in knee pads.

-Get good riding shoes that can provide you with some protection around your ankle and prevent your foot sole from bending in case of an accident. I am not asking you to invest in high end track oriented shoes but check out urban line up of TCX, they are better when compared to Dainese and costs less as well. Gloves are a must.

Meeting up is highly unlikely for reasons that should be obvious as I am not based in Pakistan anymore.

This market in Saddar claims to sell luxury motorbikes for less than Rs 10 lakhs

SHAZIA HASAN

... but there's a catch!

5cce70ef8c985.png

One wonders if they are second-hand or refurbished models.

“I am thinking of getting a heavy motorbike for myself. It’s a BMW Motorrad. I am engaged in negotiations with the owner. Hopefully, I’ll be able to buy it for one and a half or two lakhs,” says a lady motorcycle rider who is also a part of the Pink Riders club.

But when informed that a BMW Motorrad cost far more than that, like something in the vicinity of over 50 lakhs the lady insisted that she had managed to find one far cheaper and which was also in very good condition.

How was that even possible?

The motorcycle market in Saddar these days has about 120 different brands that have nearly all been made in China. Apart from the 70CC, 100CC and 125CC motorcycles and shining scooters or the lighter scooties, as they call them, which are preferred by lady riders these days, this market also boasts of some five or six motorbike sellers who also deal in heavy bikes.

5ccde557ca8b1.jpg

Lighter motorcycles and scooters look like miniatures in front of the heavy bikes. / Photos by Fahim Siddiqi / White Star

One such dealer, Abdullah Shari, who had several beautiful machines, such as BMW, Yamaha YZF-R3 and Kawasaki, parked right before his work desk, smiles as he shares their price with Dawn. And you almost fall off your chairs when you expect to hear something like six or seven million and are told that they cost three to six lakhs in rupees only. One wonders if they are second-hand or refurbished models.

“Not everyone can afford genuine heavy bikes, the cheapest of which may cost as much as 25 to 45 lakhs,” says Shari. “Then if you are buying a second-hand genuine bike, its cost may go down to something between 16 to 25 lakhs, but here these new bikes are so reasonably priced due to their being replicas of the real thing,” he says, making everything fall into place.

5ccde5966fb32.jpg

Heavy motorbikes are all the rage these days. / Photos by Fahim Siddiqi / White Star

“What do those people who also love heavy bikes and dream of owning one but can’t afford it, do?” The dealer asks and then ends up replying to his own question. “Well, they can go for these China-manufactured first copies of the originals,” he smiles. “When parked next to an original, even someone who prides himself in knowing about heavy bikes can get confused,” he says, adding that some 70 per cent of such bikes in Pakistan are actually replicas.

He turns to his computer to show more heavy bikes that he is expecting from China in his 12th or 13th consignment. The machines which usually have a 350CC engine, have a running of about 25 to 30km per litre unlike the normal lighter bikes that one sees on the roads, which have a running of 60 to 70km per litre.

5ccde5c4edb0b.jpg

Abdullah Shari shows on his monitor a heavy bike that happens to be among his soon to arrive consignment. / Photos by Fahim Siddiqi / White Star

“But one who is willing to buy a bike worth Rs500,000 won’t really be worried about mileage,” the dealer laughs.

What he or she would be concerned about is maintenance. “We make sure to make all spare parts for this beautiful machine available as after-sales service is the key to their popularity here. Without that they will be a total flop.

5ccde5e9cadde.jpg

The running average of heavy motorbikes is about 25 to 30 km per litre. / Photos by Fahim Siddiqi / White Star /

Along with that they also come with a 2,000km engine guarantee,” he says.

I just posted this thread separately, LOL. I think the mods should delete that one.

As far as these bikes are concerned, they are nothing but cheap knock offs. My main worry is the quality control and the hazard they might be putting their riders at. Safety would be my number one concern on these machines, forget about the engine and its performance. I am more worried about the brake lines and callipers, the fuel tanks integrity and resistance to tear or fracture in case of an accident.
In my opinion one should stay away from these things, and they are fooling no one as the seller likes to claim. Just one look at them and you would know they are utter fakes, may be except for fools the ones who dont know about bikes like the fools who would buy these death traps.

Last edited:
The final decision is yours, as I said earlier my personal believe regarding Supersports is that they are track based machines that are performance oriented. They are all about performance, and very little attention is paid to rider comfort or for that matter pretty much anything else. Few things to remember when you purchase your R6

1- Is it a brand new or a used one. If it is a used one, demand complete service record for the bike. It is very important the bike was serviced on time. If you decide to buy a second hand bike, ask where the bike was serviced and try visiting the mechanic to get some information before hand.
2- The kind of fuel (RON Number) used, as Pakistan does have fuel quality issues. Which engine oil was used, semi or fully synthetic.
3- Modifications done. Its always very important that the bike is stock or had been modified. The most common modifications done is replacement of exhaust system. If so was it a complete system or a slip on, if it was a complete system than they need to flash the ECU and do a dyno for proper power output and proper airfuel mixture.
4- The condition of shocks and suspensions, if they are leaking any oil. These bikes have performance and fully adjustable suspension. Believe me if they needs replacement it will be very difficult and expensive.
5- Milage is very important. Every 25K, you have to do not only valve clearance but you might have to completely replace them. Drops and accidents if any. So check the milage and inquire about valve clearance. Dont take sellers word for it, demand to see evidence of it via receipts.
6- Tires: They are often the most overlooked aspect on smaller CC bikes but believe me it will make all the difference between life and death. You need to have good quality tyres from a reputable brand such as Pirelli or Metzler. Check the tread wear pattern, this can tell you a lot on the kind of person who owned the bike. Presence of chicken wings does not mean that bike was not maintained, it simply means that the rider was not leaning enough. But if the tread pattern is uneven or focused on the centre this could mean few things such as tyre pressure was not maintained on regular bases, the wheels are off balance, and worst the rim could be bent as well. None of these are good signs.
7- Check the chain and sprocket for signs of extra wear. See if the chain appears to be loose, or appearance of rust. If the chains looks dirty or all gunk up, this is a sign that the person did not maintain the chain, hence leading to conclusion that the bike was not properly maintained. Rear sprocket can be checked by looking at the condition of the sprocket teeth, they should not be arched or making a wave in one direction.
8- Spare parts. A bike that does not have readily available spareparts is not worth owning. Ensure that before your purchase.
9- Last but not least, do a proper research about the bike you are planning to own, when you choose a bike let the owner know that you want to start the bike yourself. Request him not to start the bike on the day of meeting but only do so when you are there to inspect it. A cold start can tell you a lot about a bike if there are any problems. Ask the seller to show you where he parks the bike regularly and look for signs of any dried oil stains. Check for cracks along the fairing, foot pegs for sign of bending or sliding. You can never be too careful when buying a second hand bike. Also if possible look for a reliable mechanic.

I am a daily rider and I like to ride all my bikes, although I havent been to a track for over a year, as I have no time to do so anymore. The minimum requirement for a bike to be used as a daily rider is having ABS, I tend to stay away from bikes without ABS for normal road usage, R6 only got them in 2017 along with rider modes.
R6 wont be very comfortable to ride on for longer then an hour or may be 2 before you must take a break.
If you have never ridden a supersports before, getting used to rider position along with the amount of power at your throttle would be the biggest challenge. Respect the machine and dont try to race anyone if you do not have the skill.

In my experience R6 are not maintenance intensive machines like BMW's, KTM or Ducati's, but they do require on time and proper servicing.

Invest in proper riding gear.

-Invest in a good helmet with atleast ECE rating, DOT is utterly useless and obsolete in my opinion. BELL, HJC and LS2 are good options, they wont be cheap but still less expensive than top of the line Shoeis or AGV. Dont try to be a squid to show off.

- Buy a good jackets with D3O armour around shoulders and elbows along with chest and back protectors. There are a lot of jackets for riding being made in Pakistan, so I am sure that you can find some for local consumptions as well. Leather is the best friend of a motorcyclists but at the same time it is not very easy to wear in heat of Karachi. Mesh is a good alternate, all bigger brands offer them, Alpinestar, Komine, Icon etc. I personally prefer a brand called Tucano Urbano, I find their mesh jackets to be the best. I had been involved in an accident and the jacket did held up very nice.

-Invest in a good riding jeans with kevlar lining and built in knee pads.

-Get good riding shoes that can provide you with some protection around your ankle and prevent your foot sole from bending in case of an accident. I am not asking you to invest in high end track oriented shoes but check out urban line up of TCX, they are better when compared to Dainese and costs less as well. Gloves are a must.

Meeting up is highly unlikely for reasons that should be obvious as I am not based in Pakistan anymore.

I just posted this thread separately, LOL. I think the mods should delete that one.

As far as these bikes are concerned, they are nothing but cheap knock offs. My main worry is the quality control and the hazard they might be putting their riders at. Safety would be my number one concern on these machines, forget about the engine and its performance. I am more worried about the brake lines and callipers, the fuel tanks integrity and resistance to tear or fracture in case of an accident.
In my opinion one should stay away from these things, and they are fooling no one as the seller likes to claim. Just one look at them and you would know they are utter fakes, may be except for fools the ones who dont know about bikes like the fools who would buy these death traps.
Wow you are like full pro biker!!! I have been riding for 3 years but never owned something more than 300cc so it'll be a whole new experience for me to ride a super sports bike. I have been into 2 accident per year :no: and my father sold my bike after that, it's a long story and it was all due to ruthless riding and never looking after my machine and it's needs but after reading your precautions and combining my past experience, I think that I need to prepare this time because it'll be very fatal on sports bike.
Thank you so much for your time and this information. I'll stay in touch, I'll do my research and all the related field work. I usually buy my cars and bikes with minimum inspections and i am not going to use R6 for daily commuting, it is for the passion

Wow you are like full pro biker!!! I have been riding for 3 years but never owned something more than 300cc so it'll be a whole new experience for me to ride a super sports bike. I have been into 2 accident per year :no: and my father sold my bike after that, it's a long story and it was all due to ruthless riding and never looking after my machine and it's needs but after reading your precautions and combining my past experience, I think that I need to prepare this time because it'll be very fatal on sports bike.

So this means that you have had 6 accidents within 3 years, well that is not a good score at all. When you ride a bike accidents are inevitable but we must ensure that we are fully protected, hence increase our chances of survival. I was involved in a pretty bad accident some 4 years back, and if I was not wearing my protective gear the results would have been far more destructive. I had stopped riding over the weekends in my biker groups as I have personally witnessed several accidents with fatalities and lost two of friends to such accidents. I would just head to the track to quench any of my thirsts for speed and competition but not on public roads. All I can advise you is this, do not get carried away with your machine, respect your machine and know your limitations. If you do not have the skill dont push it, because you are gonna endup dead.

Moving up from 300CC to 650 is not a big deal but Supersports are a whole different ball game, they are not like your other street machines. I might be sounding like a broken record by now but they are made for one thing and one thing only, and that is speed and performance not just in straights but in corners as well. These machines can mince Litre bikes, if the rider had the skill but I have also witnessed these bikes kill riders who didnt had the skill and enough brain cells to know when to stop.

As for riding gear, these things are gonna set you cost some money but invest in gear, you never know they might save your life one day.

Thank you so much for your time and this information. I'll stay in touch, I'll do my research and all the related field work. I usually buy my cars and bikes with minimum inspections and i am not going to use R6 for daily commuting, it is for the passion

Just start your research, talk to other riders who own them in and around Pakistan, I am sure Pakwheels might have few, or you can also visit other forums. You are expected to be spending a million or more bucks on this one even if the bike is over a decade old so make sure you do your research. As for passion, dont take it the wrong way but you need to first develop your skill to ride such machines, dont expect that just by riding it you can develop it especially if there are no race tracks to go to, or any expert classes being offered.

My advise still is buy a machine that you develop your skill at first, learn to maintain it once you have the discipline you can move to such machines. I have watched too many young weekend riders demise on such machines, just because they had the money to buy one, but not the ability or skill.

Good luck.

Not just service, but valve checks as well, including a complete readout of the before and after clearances and shims used. On some bikes the interval can be as short as 12k miles, and new shims are quite expensive. The old ones should not be lapped to reduce their thickness as it removes the hard coating.

:sarcastic: that was smooth, but the import of vehicle is already banned to balance the reserves deficit

Banned? Motorcycles are still importable with relatively high tax rates AFAIK.

Well for your knowledge, I am not a rich guy. I am a real estate average class broker and passionate biker, traveler.

A real estate agent looking to buy a 600 cc bike for traveling would count as a rich guy in Pakistan, I would still think. It is a good thing, let me add.

Last edited:
Not just service, but valve checks as well, including a complete readout of the before and after clearances and shims used. On some bikes the interval can be as short as 12k miles, and new shims are quite expensive. The old ones should not be lapped to reduce their thickness as it removes the hard coating.
Yes, I think Ducatis have between 10 and 12K valve clearance along with some major service. I was talking in reference to R6, but your comment on why not to get used old shims is 100% valid for Pakistani market as he already stated that there are a lot of R6 parts in the market, so the mechanic might try to sell him used one. That thing is too pervasive in Pakistani motoring mindset.

Yes, I think Ducatis have between 10 and 12K valve clearance along with some major service. I was talking in reference to R6, but your comment on why not to get used old shims is 100% valid for Pakistani market as he already stated that there are a lot of R6 parts in the market, so the mechanic might try to sell him used one. That thing is too pervasive in Pakistani motoring mindset.

It might be well worth to just import a shim kit from HotCams or the like just for use with one's own bike there.

It might be well worth to just import a shim kit from HotCams or the like just for use with one's own bike there.
True, but I honestly think he might end up importing a whole lot of other stuff, if he keeps on listening to us. Lol

True, but I honestly think he might end up importing a whole lot of other stuff, if he keeps on listening to us. Lol

Not just importing, it will probably need learning to service a complex bike yourself if you need it done right.

Back
Top Bottom