What's new

Biker's Lounge

Who needs power? This bike has isshtyle in spades! :D

Ya it's a looker. It's pretty comfortable. The tyres are great. Grippy off road, and the handling on tarmac is nice. Brakes are great too. Steel braided lines! The earlier lots would bottom out at the back. Now they've solved that. The front end soaks up anything you throw at it. I've ridden down a pretty steep flight of stairs very easily. The gearbox is not bad (by farm machinery standards of bullet). The headlight is not great. The instrument cluster is too busy. Small bluddy peanut sized tacho with a compass that's bigger. The ergos are spot on. You can stand and join around through gnarly stuff effortlessly. Wishing for cheap Indian pivot pegs though. The ground clearance is surprisingly not great though. People have hit the bottom on the road on speed bumps etc. But ALL of this is inconsequential. The bike is just anemic man. No power. You wring the throttle. Nothing. Like a very big Impulse. Needs at least a respectable 35+ bhp. But for you it will be as cheap as chips.

Ya it's a looker. It's pretty comfortable. The tyres are great. Grippy off road, and the handling on tarmac is nice. Brakes are great too. Steel braided lines! The earlier lots would bottom out at the back. Now they've solved that. The front end soaks up anything you throw at it. I've ridden down a pretty steep flight of stairs very easily. The gearbox is not bad (by farm machinery standards of bullet). The headlight is not great. The instrument cluster is too busy. Small bluddy peanut sized tacho with a compass that's bigger. The ergos are spot on. You can stand and join around through gnarly stuff effortlessly. Wishing for cheap Indian pivot pegs though. The ground clearance is surprisingly not great though. People have hit the bottom on the road on speed bumps etc. But ALL of this is inconsequential. The bike is just anemic man. No power. You wring the throttle. Nothing. Like a very big Impulse. Needs at least a respectable 35+ bhp. But for you it will be as cheap as chips.

Thank you for that detail. Overall, it does seem like a good bike.

Thank you for that detail. Overall, it does seem like a good bike.

I don't know from which angle my description made it sound as a "good" bike. But glad you liked it nonetheless.

I would never buy Royal Oilfields and Hardly Ablesons. But thats me.

Some good advice here:

http://www.cycleworld.com/five-moto...ctice-every-ride-nick-ienatsch-tuesday#page-5

In addition to the parking lot workouts, My Big Five practice checklist focuses on the most important things that I started with five years ago, and continue to practice each and every ride, with or without a passenger.

1. Eyes:
  • I scan what is behind me (using mirrors), to the sides and in front of me, constantly looking for potential hazards.
  • Your eyes can continue scanning back and forth, even when your head turns and sets up body position for anticipating the bike's next direction.
  • Target fixation can be deadly, so I practice avoiding it in turns or on straights by visually selecting something on the road (debris, dark/light patches, etc.) and immediately looking farther down the road. The brain retains a short-term map of what was just seen and the rider then guides the bike around the imagined hazard. With enough practice, you don’t even have to think about it, and your reactions kick in to steer you away from trouble.
2. Trail Braking:
This technique is the bomb. I took to trail braking right away, as I found that a gentle application of the front brake would immediately control speed and direction. I had been using snow-ski edges (brakes) for the exact same reasons while hauling down steep mountain slopes since I was a kid. Aside from “Eyes” I practice trail braking more than anything else. Just like my skiing, more brake control equals significantly greater exhilaration and reduces the frequency of panic-prayers. I saw a real-world application of this when riding behind Nick through the Colorado mountains. His brake light came on just before he started leaning into a right-handed turn. From out of nowhere, a deer bounded directly into our lane. Because Nick was already on the front brake, he was able to quickly, yet smoothly stop, even at lean angle.

3. Emergency braking:
Nick has emphasized repeatedly: “If you ride at 100 miles an hour, you need to practice braking at 100 miles an hour.” I practiced braking the scooter from that speed a couple of times and didn't feel comfortable at all. But I've found that 80 mph is about the high end of my comfort zone, so that's the speed at which I usually practice, either solo or with a passenger. Caution: Braking with a passenger on board is quite different than riding alone, and may require some extra practice, especially if your passenger is your precious-cargo girlfriend. In these instances, I started at much lower speeds and worked up from there. (Note: Merrilee, my girlfriend, forced me to write that last part. She's not the boss of...Nothing, sweetie. Just humming to myself. Love you!)

4. Body position:
I like watching professional riders set up their next turn. First, their rear ends shift off the seat in the new direction they will be going. Next, their heads lean toward that same direction to utilize body weight for steering. Having a turn already set up like this has helped me avoid big trouble while enhancing the experience of cornering. It not only reduces target fixation significantly, but also sets the tone for the entire turn. While practicing the essentials at slow speeds in parking lots didn’t seem like such a big deal, I’m glad I did because they become exponentially more important at street speeds.

5. Rolling on and off the throttle:
First, I triple check that no vehicles are behind me. Next, I put the bike in first gear and get to a pretty good clip so the torque is instant and pronounced. Then, I work on speeding up and slowing down smoothly. At higher revs, the feedback does little to sugarcoat my errors and pathetic excuses. In emergency situations, the best outcomes are usually a result of the body immediately reacting to correct techniques that have been practiced ad nauseam. I need more work on this.

That's it: My Big Five techniques I practice every ride. Oh, there's another fabulous concept I picked up from my friend, Walt Bayless, who, among other things is a jiu-jitsu master. Walt said he frequently exchanges his black belt for a white one and starts training all over again with the basics. “When I start feeling complacent and confident,” he said, “that's when I'm most vulnerable to injury and I swap out belts and go back to the essentials.”

Zen teacher Shunryu Suzuki said, "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." So, every time I swing a leg over the bike, I remember that as long as I am a beginner, I can justify another ride to practice my essentials while enjoying the stunning beauty in our corner of the universe. We riders truly are lucky bastoids.

Some good advice here:

2. Trail Braking:
This technique is the bomb. I took to trail braking right away, as I found that a gentle application of the front brake would immediately control speed and direction. I had been using snow-ski edges (brakes) for the exact same reasons while hauling down steep mountain slopes since I was a kid. Aside from “Eyes” I practice trail braking more than anything else. Just like my skiing, more brake control equals significantly greater exhilaration and reduces the frequency of panic-prayers. I saw a real-world application of this when riding behind Nick through the Colorado mountains. His brake light came on just before he started leaning into a right-handed turn. From out of nowhere, a deer bounded directly into our lane. Because Nick was already on the front brake, he was able to quickly, yet smoothly stop, even at lean angle.

I use this predominantly with the rear to scrub speed (finer adjustments) and stabilize the bike well into and through the corner. So much so that even sometimes an extra downshift well inside the corner does not upset the bike (too much :))

I use this predominantly with the rear to scrub speed (finer adjustments) and stabilize the bike well into and through the corner. So much so that even sometimes an extra downshift well inside the corner does not upset the bike (too much :))

A useful technique, indeed, one well worth mastering.

A useful technique, indeed, one well worth mastering.

Most desis do it naturally, without having to think about or practice it or even learn its nuances. Especially since we've grown up with bikes with not very good front brakes, even though discs. And rear drums. It wasn't till very recently that disc brakes in India started matching international standards in terms of feedback and modulation. A grabby disc is a no no complete to any sort of trail braking.

Most desis do it naturally, without having to think about or practice it or even learn its nuances. Especially since we've grown up with bikes with not very good front brakes, even though discs. And rear drums. It wasn't till very recently that disc brakes in India started matching international standards in terms of feedback and modulation. A grabby disc is a no no complete to any sort of trail braking.

Trail braking can be done with the front brake too, and is very useful, although it needs experience and smoothness to be used properly, specially with large bikes ridden fast.

Trail braking can be done with the front brake too, and is very useful, although it needs experience and smoothness to be used properly, specially with large bikes ridden fast.

I agree. I do it as well. But there is a significant degree of re-learning needed for us who are used to grabby front brakes. As brakes improve, riders learn to trust the modulation more, beyond the on-off responses of the older ones. Simply put - the brakes have changed. The riders (and their balls) are still the same. Am talking about a happy marriage of the two (3 if you take each separately ....).

I agree. I do it as well. But there is a significant degree of re-learning needed for us who are used to grabby front brakes. As brakes improve, riders learn to trust the modulation more, beyond the on-off responses of the older ones. Simply put - the brakes have changed. The riders (and their balls) are still the same. Am talking about a happy marriage of the two (3 if you take each separately ....).

The main difference is not the brakes. It is between the necessity of riding as a means of conveyance, and the choice of riding as a pleasure hobby. :D

IMG-20160613-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20160612-WA0030.jpg
IMG-20160612-WA0024.jpg

Some cornering photos of friends on a ride.

If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a noise if there is no one to hear it? :D

20160313-07.jpg

3 guys posing, one struggling to move tree. Bahut naainsaafi hai. :tsk:

The group has all already crossed the tree from the left. The one guy in the back is setting up the group mascot for a photo, not trying to move the tree.

Before the tree:

20160313-03.jpg

Going around off-road:

20160313-06.jpg

Posing for a photo:

20160313-09.jpg

It was really muddy off the track:

20160313-10.jpg

This is British Columbia?

Also, these tyres (on the KLR). Don't you prefer something with slightly deeper grooves. Not full on buttons, but larger interlocking blocks with deep sipes.

Something like the Pirelli MT60 Scorpion. Have you tried the Heidenau Scout? Thinking of that next for my GS, which is chewing through tyres man ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom