What's new

Beghairath

muse

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
This is what happens if you give up your honour
Anwar Iqbal[/I]

“Sardar Hashim Khan weighed his spear and spurred his horse. The beast galloped towards his daughter. Even before the spectators could understand what was happening, the sharp and cruel weapon pierced his daughter’s heart. She died, quietly.”

I looked at Hafez Saheb as he finished his story and asked: “Can you, please tell us why the sardar killed his daughter?”

“I already told you, didn’t I? When the flash flood hit the village, Gul Bahar was trapped inside. But the next morning, she came to the camp where the tribe had taken refuge with a young man from another tribe,” said Hafez Saheb.

“Who was this young man?” I asked.

“He had rescued her from the flood and had taken her to his village,” Hafez Saheb said.

“But why did he kill her?” I asked again.

“Well, you are from a city. You will not understand. She spent an entire night with a stranger. The sardar had no option. His honour was at stake,” said Hafez Saheb.

“Honour, eh? And who did you say was the beast, the horse or the sardar?” I asked.

“I told you, you will not understand. You don’t know how difficult it is to face your tribe in such situations, especially if you are a sardar,” Hafez Saheb said and moved his hookah away, indicating that he had no more to say.

We had gathered at the Virginia Tavern after a long break. And since it was Ramazan, the gathering had a religious touch. After breaking the fast, we said the evening prayers and returned to the table to eat more.

When we finished, we went to a large table, waiting for the daily dose of mint tea. It goes well with a full stomach.

“This is Saturday night, the time for our weekend story,” said Zahid Jedi, the cab driver, who was one of the founding members of the Alif Laila group.

“Yes, but this is Ramazan, so let’s ask Hafez Saheb to tell us a story, after all, he is our prayer leader,” said Hamid Malik, another member who owns a grocery store in a Northern Virginia neighbourhood.

“Yes, but it should not be a religious story as we have already heard enough sermons on the television,” said Zahid.

Hafez Saheb agreed and said he will tell us a story he had heard from his grandfather. “But this story is very old. My grandfather heard it from his grandfather who heard it from his grandfather,” he added.

“This is about a sardar from our tribe who lived many centuries ago. Everybody in our tribe knows this story.”

When he came to the part where the sardar kills his daughter to salvage his honour, we interrupted him.

“Sorry, Hafez Saheb,” said Hamid, “this was a very stupid sardar. Nothing justifies killing your daughter.”

“Hold on, hold on,” Hafez Saheb protested. “Don’t judge him yet. The sardar loved his daughter so much that he jumped into the river after killing her and was never seen again.”

“Maybe he swam to the other side and escaped,” I said.

“Yes, he must have remarried and lived happily in some remote village,” Zahid added.

“No, we all know he drowned,” said Hafiz Saheb.

“How? Did you see his body?” I asked.

“No, but we now have a shrine near where he jumped into the river. The daughter is buried there and there is a little monument for the father too,” Hafez Saheb said.

“That’s not nice. You put the victim and the murderer in the same shrine,” said Hamid.

“No, he was no murderer. He had to do this for himself and for the entire tribe,” Hafez Saheb said.

As we finished tea, we went to a large parking lot near the tavern where Pakistani-American teenagers were playing cricket. This was called the Ramazan tournament. They start their game soon after the night prayers and end it an hour before dawn to eat their pre-fast meal.

This is also our daily routine during Ramazan. We walk in this parking lot for an hour, while also encouraging the players with our comments, and then go home.

As we walked, we noticed a Latino couple kissing in a car.

This annoyed Hafez Saheb.

“Look at them,” he said. “This is what happens to you if you give up your honour.”

“Don’t look,” I suggested.

“I am not looking,” said Hafez Saheb, “but this is not right.”

Every time we walked by the car, Hafez Saheb looked inside and said: “May God protect us.”

“Why are you looking inside the car, Hafez Saheb?” asked Zahid.

“How can you not look?” asked Hafez Saheb.

“We are not looking,” said Hamid. “It is none of our business. Who are we to interfere in their personal affairs?”

Hafez Saheb disagreed. “It is our business. We need to prevent vice and promote virtue.”

“Try and you will end up in police custody,” I warned.

“Yes, this is what I do not like about this country. You cannot stop people from doing such things in public,” Hafez Saheb said.

“You do not like many things in this country and yet, you get very upset when someone suggests that you should leave,” said Hamid. “This is something I will never understand.”

“I like living here because this is a much organised place, very disciplined,” said Hafez Saheb who used to live in the Middle East before coming to America.

“Also because there’s justice and equality,” said Zahid, while reminding him that he was only quoting what Hafez Saheb had said before.

Hafez Saheb often used to say that there’s no justice in the Middle East for foreign workers. “They are treated like animals,” he complained.

“Yes, justice and equality too,” Hafez Saheb conceded.

“If there are so many good things in this society, then why can’t you just close your eyes when you see a kissing couple?” I asked.

Hafez Saheb did not respond.

“OK, what is better, to close your eyes or kill your daughter?” asked Zahid.

But the next week, when he received his green card, he came to the iftar gathering with a big box of sweets.

Anwar Iqbal is a correspondent for Dawn, based in Washington, DC.

@muse what will you say,if you were in a place of Hafiz sahab?what will you do?after seeing the couple,do you prefer to stay in United States or leave for Middle East again?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
good read... even the most conservative agree that wester society is morally superior as it gives you freedom and equality. They may ***** about a few thing here and there but they know they like it here.
Another common refrain I here a lot among muslims 'UK people are better muslim than us' .. which translates to UK society has better human values than our society.

@muse what will you say,if you were in a place of Hafiz sahab?what will you do?after seeing the couple,do you prefer to stay in United States or leave for Middle East again?:D

Most of the people who have commented on the piece seem very disturbed, and I don't mean just by the substance of the piece

Think about it -- what is the lead article about? Why is the thread called Beghairath? What was and is Beghairathi?

There is an important line that Hafiz speaks when his friends advise him that it's not our business, lets mind our own business:

“It is our business. We need to prevent vice and promote virtue.”

“
You do not like many things in this country and yet, you get very upset when someone suggests that you should leave,”
said Hamid. “This is something I will never understand.”
“I like living here because this is a much organised place, very disciplined,” said Hafez Saheb who used to live in the Middle East before coming to America.

“Also because there’s justice and equality,” said Zahid, while reminding him that he was only quoting what Hafez Saheb had said before.

“Yes, justice and equality too,” Hafez Saheb conceded.

“If there are so many good things in this society, then why can’t you just close your eyes when you see a kissing couple?” I asked.

“OK, what is better, to close your eyes or kill your daughter?” asked Zahid.

Many Pakiatanis, particularly those who are experiencing social mobility, not just on a national scale but internationally, are terribly confused about some very basic things, these Pakistanis find that their religiosity of outward appearances and rituals and their experience and internalization of Mid-East as foreign laborers, has left scars on them, it will take many years to heal

IS killing your own daughter Ghairath? or is moving away from tribal shame? Those who imagine that urban and cosmopolitan existence is negotiated on the backs of tribal values, not only set themselves but others, for disappointment and further pain

Most of the people who have commented on the piece seem very disturbed, and I don't mean just by the substance of the piece

Think about it -- what is the lead article about? Why is the thread called Beghairath? What was and is Beghairathi?

There is an important line that Hafiz speaks when his friends advise him that it's not our business, lets mind our own business:

Many Pakiatanis, particularly those who are experiencing social mobility, not just on a national scale but internationally, are terribly confused about some very basic things, these Pakistanis find that their religiosity of outward appearances and rituals and their experience and internalization of Mid-East as foreign laborers, has left scars on them, it will take many years to heal

IS killing your own daughter Ghairath? or is moving away from tribal shame? Those who imagine that urban and cosmopolitan existence is negotiated on the backs of tribal values, not only set themselves but others, for disappointment and further pain

Mr.muse,I appreciate your contribution and further more,I would like to add that such so-called,ghairatmund Muslims didn't even know the basic definition of Islam and muslim,being a muslim means the: 'Submission of your will to Allah"
Once you have accepted Islam,then you are not bounded to your so-called stone age laws,but you have to spend your life with the given limitations of Allah's law,and most prominently Allah's law strongly forbids to kill anyone on the basis of 'shak' and strongly recommends to investigate,second as mentioned in the article that Hafiz sahab saw the kissing couple and kept on looking..let me add further that this is also contrary to Islamic laws to look/sneak into someone's privacy.

Thus we have ruined the image of Islam due to our hypocrisy,we have twisted Islamic laws for the sake of our interests and so called customs which are forbidden/banned in Islam,we ourselves talk shamelessly of ghairat and tradition etc.

good read... even the most conservative agree that wester society is morally superior as it gives you freedom and equality. They may ***** about a few thing here and there but they know they like it here.
Another common refrain I here a lot among muslims 'UK people are better muslim than us' .. which translates to UK society has better human values than our society.
Yes they give so much freedom that out every 5 women in USA 1 is rape victim and every year more than 20000 are killed

Yes they give so much freedom that out every 5 women in USA 1 is rape victim and every year more than 20000 are killed
yet you ask any pakistani here.. he will say.. inshaallaaa.. this is the most muslim country in the world.. more muslim than muslim countries.. :omghaha:

Women in Pakistan don't enjoy that much freedom but they are still get raped, killed and thrown acid in their faces.

The hypocrites like Hafez Saheb love to enjoy all the benefits the evil West has to offer and at the same time detest all their core values, and unfortunately there is no dearth of these kind of people from Muslim countries who have run over their beautiful and peaceful countries in the last few decades.

Women in Pakistan don't enjoy that much freedom but they are still get raped, killed and thrown acid in their faces.

The hypocrites like Hafez Saheb love to enjoy all the benefits the evil West has to offer and at the same time detest all their core values, and unfortunately there is no dearth of these kind of people from Muslim countries who have run over their beautiful and peaceful countries in the last few decades.
Mr first know Islam their is no much problem in using technology and doing trade problem is using their system and following their culture Mr

Mr first know Islam their is no much problem in using technology and doing trade problem is using their system and following their culture Mr

Currently which system you use to reply this thread i.e. internet, PC, wireless router or smartphone is developed by western countries. Would you ready to leave them?

is it said by those living there or those coming from abroad because i don't see that among british muslims infact right now they are the most radical and fanatic bunch of people with far flung from islamic values

is it said by those living there or those coming from abroad because i don't see that among british muslims infact right now they are the most radical and fanatic bunch of people with far flung from islamic values

no, they are refering to the society and general behaviour of all uk people not british muslims as such. Most muslims grudgingly accept that this society is more humane than back home. Conversation always starts with 'british women dont have izzat... and ends up with they are better muslims than us pakistanis'.

Mullay hotay hi beghairat hain.

Their sense of honor is only outward, a sort of show off about how pious they are. In the same breath he defended daughter killing but opposed kissing, both in the name of honor.

Musalmano ki kambakhti hi yeh ayi hui hai that they have to learn honor from such dishonorable people.

Most decent human beings I've ever seen in my life are the Norwegians in particular and scandinavians in general. Even their christians are more muslim-like in habits than the imam of masjib-nabwi. May Allah protect and further guide such noble and honorable races.

no, they are refering to the society and general behaviour of all uk people not british muslims as such. Most muslims grudgingly accept that this society is more humane than back home. Conversation always starts with 'british women dont have izzat... and ends up with they are better muslims than us pakistanis'.

Currently which system you use to reply this thread i.e. internet, PC, wireless router or smartphone is developed by western countries. Would you ready to leave them?

I am talking about their economic and goverment system not technology @Awesome in pakistan liberal scums are real and ultimate beghirat

Back
Top Bottom