What's new

Bangladesh to allow making motorcycles up to 500 cc but ban local use above 165 cc ones

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Bangladesh to allow making motorcycles up to 500 cc but ban local use above 165 cc ones

INDUSTRY

TBS Report
05 February, 2023, 09:55 pm
Last modified: 05 February, 2023, 10:04 pm

Photo: Salahuddin Ahemd/TBS

Bangladesh will allow the manufacture of motorcycles up to 500 cc but will prohibit the use of motorcycles with engine capacities higher than 165 cc.

The commerce ministry is going to amend the Import Policy Order 2021–24 to ban the import of motorcycles with engine capacities above 165 cc for use within the country.

However, manufacturers will be allowed to import machinery or parts used in the production of motorcycles up to 500 cc for the purpose of export only.

The Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FBCCI) and the Bangladesh Motorcycle Assemblers and Manufacturers Association are opposing the conditions to be included in the amended import policy.

According to the existing policy, registered motorcycle manufacturers can import machinery or parts used in the production of motorcycles up to 500 cc. But nothing is mentioned about whether these motorcycles can be used in the country or have to be exported.

Senior Secretary to the commerce ministry Tapan Kanti Ghosh recently held a meeting with stakeholders on amending the import order. In that meeting, it was decided that motorcycles up to 165 cc could be imported for use in the country. And higher capacity motorcycles produced with imported parts and accessories must be exported abroad and cannot be used in the country.

Opposing the decision, the FBCCI told the commerce ministry in a letter sent on 26 January that the motorcycle manufacturers have already invested a huge amount of money in research, planning, and setting up factories for the production of motorcycles up to 500 cc.

"It is not possible to cover this investment cost through exports alone. Besides, to survive in the competition on the international market and to improve the quality of the locally produced motorcycles, it is necessary to sell the motorcycles in the local market before exporting them," said the country's apex trade body.

In a separate letter, Matiur Rahman, president of the motorcycle manufacturers' association, informed the commerce ministry that some motorcycle manufacturing companies have made preparations, including the establishment of factories, to produce high-performance motorcycles.

"Besides, if the companies can sell high-performance motorcycles in the local market before entering the competitive international market, it will help to improve their quality as well as save their investment costs," the letter added.

Can someone detail the issues here. What is the problem with higher performance bikes? Why does the government feel the need to regulate here. If someone want to build higher performance bikes and someone wants to buy it whats the problem?

Can someone detail the issues here. What is the problem with higher performance bikes? Why does the government feel the need to regulate here. If someone want to build higher performance bikes and someone wants to buy it whats the problem?

I also don't understand this. Maybe to reduce oil consumption in the country, the government after all subsidizes petrol.

Road safety most likely. Bikers in BD think they are invincible in their 125cc, until they are not. Imagine what they would do with higher performance bikes.

Road safety most likely. Bikers in BD think they are invincible in their 125cc, until they are not. Imagine what they would do with higher performance bikes.
Its bizzare... no article explains why.... must be some kind of monopoly interest seeking to maintain status quo.

Road safety anecdotally hardly looks like a priority for government and as fuel subsidies are being reduced again seems like a minor issue. Could it be environmental.... well slap higher tax on higher performance bikes.

Its bizzare... no article explains why.... must be some kind of monopoly interest seeking to maintain status quo.

Road safety anecdotally hardly looks like a priority for government and as fuel subsidies are being reduced again seems like a minor issue. Could it be environmental.... well slap higher tax on higher performance bikes.
1. Reckless riding in the absence strict licensing regime, safety culture and road etiquettes.
2. Cops unable to chase down higher capacity bikes.

I also don't understand this. Maybe to reduce oil consumption in the country, the government after all subsidizes petrol.
Government no longer subsidies petrol. It’s making profit from it.

1. Reckless riding in the absence strict licensing regime, safety culture and road etiquettes.
When was the last time such chase happened on any road in Bangladesh?

There’s no rational behind this. The only issue here is the colonial "zamidari" mindset of our establishment.

That seems to be the real reason.

It is irrelevant whether government subsidizes the cost of petrol as the dollar money still leaves the country.

Another excellent policy by the BAL government.

That seems to be the real reason.

It is irrelevant whether government subsidizes the cost of petrol as the dollar money still leaves the country.

Another excellent policy by the BAL government.
Might well ban cars then....
People dont ride around burning petrol as a joke dude....

Might well ban cars then....
People dont ride around burning petrol as a joke dude....

BD has pretty much banned cars due to extremely high customs duty.

Only limited numbers are assembled in BD.

These 500cc cycles would be affordable to the massess and they would drain billions of US dollars in precious reserves as oil imports rocket.

Where in Bangladesh somebody's going to ride a 500cc motorbike ? The extra taxes over 150cc is just fine and prudent.

Iran has a very similar law. Its for national security reasons.

Motorcycles have insane engine to weight ratio. A powerful bike will easily outrun any police vehicle, and also be more manueverable in tight streets

It will become the go to transportation for criminals

This part is exactly what I wanted to say!

I also heard such things from people but didn't believe it , as Bangladeshi people are good at making gossip! But since you said that , case is same in Iran , so there must be some fact!

However I'm wondering what exactly stopping Govt to buy the same or better motorcycle for police?
Ho mama, bideshi koise toh akhon hasa kotha :sarcastic:

And

Ho mama, bideshi koise toh akhon hasa kotha :sarcastic:

Apology post for misunderstanding!

( Moderators, please don't delete the partial long Bengali post , as I must write in Bengali in order to express myself properly , to solve the misunderstanding )

@Destranator , ভাই আপনি আমাকে ভুল বুঝেছেন , আর সে কারনেই মনে হয় ইরানী লোকটাকে কোট করে আমার আগের পোষ্ট টাকে কিছুটা ব্যক্তিগত ভাবেও নিয়েছেন।

আসলে ঐ পোষ্ট টা আপনার তথ্যের পরিপ্রেক্ষিতে করা নয়! কারন আমি আপনার মেসেজের ২য় পয়েন্ট টা আগে ভাল করে দেখিই নি।

আসলে আমি এই কথাটা আগে ( রিয়েল লাইফে) শুনেছিলাম এমন কিছু লোকের কাছে যারা গসিপ ছড়ায়! তাই হেসে উড়িয়ে দিয়েছি, আর ফ্যাক্ট চেক করার দরকার মনে করি নি। কারন চিলে কান নিয়ে গেছে এই গুজব শুনে চিলের পিছনে ছোটা লোকের অভাব বাংলাদেশে নেই সেটা আপনি ভাল করেই জানেন!

ইরানী লোকটাকে উদ্দেশ্য করে আমার লেখা মেসেজ টা ছিল এ কারনেই।

তবে এখন বুঝতে পারছি যে ব্যাপারটা গিট্টু লেগে গিয়ে ভুল বুঝাবুঝির সৃষ্টি হয়েছে!

অনেস্টলি স্পিকিং, আপনাকে আহত করার বিন্দুমাত্র ইচ্ছা আমার ছিল না! এই ফোরামে যে কজন লোককে আমি শ্রদ্ধা করি আপনি তাদের মধ্যে অন্যতম!

এই অনাকাঙ্ক্ষিত ভুল বোঝাবুঝির জন্য আমি বিব্রত , এবং আন্তরিক ভাবে দুঃখিত! 😢

(Also I've deleted that old post that is the reason of misunderstanding!)

Ps - However, since you informed, so I'm taking it to be correct information!

That's why asking a question! it's not clear to me , if police can't chase down higher capacity bikes , I'm wondering what exactly stopping Govt to buy better motorcycle for police?

What kind of absurd law it is , could you please elaborate?

Is it not like wrapping the whole earth with leather to prevent your feet getting dirty from dust? While a simple shoe can protect your feet from dust?

However I also thought that road safety could be an issue , as many people ( specially young ) ride recklessly, and most of people don't use helmet!

But police can't chase criminals and it can be a reason for banning such thing is hard to digest!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom