Reaction score
Bangladesh shows 'remarkable progress' against hunger since 2015

BANGLADESH

Mohsin Bhuiyan
13 October, 2023, 10:35 pm
Last modified: 13 October, 2023, 10:45 pm

Bangladesh ranked 81st out of the 125 countries in Global Hunger Index 2023​

p5_infograph_global-hunger-index-2023.jpg

Bangladesh has shown "remarkable progress" since 2015 in combating hunger riding on the declining trend of undernourishment, child stunting, child mortality and child wasting, according to the Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2023.

Bangladesh ranked 81st out of the 125 countries in the 2023 edition of the index, released on 12 October, positioned above its neighbours Pakistan (102nd), India (111th), and Afghanistan (114th) in reducing hunger.

The report highlighted, "Despite the challenges facing the world and the stagnation in hunger levels at the global level in recent years, some countries—including Bangladesh, Chad, Djibouti, Lao PDR, Mozambique, Nepal, and Timor-Leste—have shown remarkable progress since 2015."

This year, Bangladesh's hunger level has been categorised as "moderate", as it achieved a GHI score of 19.0 points out of a 100-point severity of hunger scale.

Bangladesh had been categorised in the "serious" level of hunger in 2015, scoring 26.2.

This is the eighteenth annual publication of the GHI, jointly published by Concern Worldwide and Welthungerhilfe, to track the state of hunger worldwide and country by country and spotlights those regions and countries where action to address hunger is most urgently needed.

Based on the data from 2018-2022 of the four indicators – undernourishment, child stunting, child wasting, and child mortality – a GHI score is calculated on a 100-point scale reflecting the severity of hunger, where 0 is the best possible score (no hunger) and 100 is the worst.

The index defines undernourishment as the share of the population with insufficient caloric intake; child stunting as the share of children aged under-five who have low height for their age; child wasting as the share of children aged under-five who have low weight for their height; and child mortality as the share of children who die before their fifth birthday.

Each country's GHI score is classified by five severity levels – low (9.9 or less), moderate (10.0-19.9), serious (20.0-34.9), alarming (35.0-49.9) and extremely alarming (50-100).

The report also mentioned that the results within this 2023 Global Hunger Index report supersede all previous GHI results. The 2000, 2008, and 2015 scores and indicator data contained within this report are currently the only data that can be used for valid comparisons of the GHI over time.

Bangladesh ahead of India, Pakistan
The index includes six South Asian countries where Sri Lanka (60th) tops the ranking, followed by Nepal (69th) and Bangladesh.

These three countries are in South Asia to be placed in the "moderate" severity level.

Afghanistan (114th), India (111th) and Pakistan (102nd) are the bottom three countries in South Asia. These countries' hunger levels are categorised as "serious".

There are 50 countries that have "low" levels of hunger, including Belarus, China, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates.

Meanwhile, nine countries in this year's report are experiencing "alarming" levels of hunger. They are: Burundi, Central Africa Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Madagascar, Niger, South Sudan, Somalia, and Yemen.

"Today's report spells out the scale of the impact which multiple crises – including the fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic, the Russia-Ukraine conflict and climate disasters – are having on some of the world's poorest people," said David Regan, chief executive of Concern Worldwide, one of the report's co-authors.

bro, people usually show price of food they eat, even in Somalia -Congo - Siera Leone :-)

there is a credibility of news of any reference? whats credibility of this ranking?
usually, no country sleep hungry :disagree:

bro, people usually show price of food they eat, even in Somalia -Congo - Siera Leone :-)

there is a credibility of news of any reference? whats credibility of this ranking?
usually, no country sleep hungry :disagree:

Bangladesh has surpassed Pakistan no need to ask questions

Pakistan will overcome its current economic problem in near future. You need political stability and I am sure your leaders will find a way to coexist amicably. I am very much worried about Bangladesh though. The current fascist regime in Bangladesh is all set to rig the next election. This may prompt the army to take over power.

Although I don't trust BD govt sources fully, yet there has been a lot of progress for sure. I am happy for Bangladesh, it took two generations but they've finnally recovered from the pre-71 damage. There's still a long way to go. Land-trade with India, especially NorthEast and Maritime trade with the world can actually take BD far.

Pakistan will overcome its current economic problem in near future. You need political stability and I am sure your leaders will find a way to coexist amicably. I am very much worried about Bangladesh though. The current fascist regime in Bangladesh is all set to rig the next election. This may prompt the army to take over power.
I sincerely doubt it. Pakistan doesn't have the level of education required in today's fast changing world. It's a desert nation with just one river-system keeping it fed. That river-system is drying up and population is increasing fast. Pak will soon collapse on itself.

I am sure Dhaka will be filled with Pakistani maids and labourers looking for two square meals in 2-3 decades.

Although I don't trust BD govt sources fully, yet there has been a lot of progress for sure. I am happy for Bangladesh, it took two generations but they've finnally recovered from the pre-71 damage. There's still a long way to go. Land-trade with India, especially NorthEast and Maritime trade with the world can actually take BD far.

I sincerely doubt it. Pakistan doesn't have the level of education required in today's fast changing world. It's a desert nation with just one river-system keeping it fed. That river-system is drying up and population is increasing fast. Pak will soon collapse on itself.

I am sure Dhaka will be filled with Pakistani maids and labourers looking for two square meals in 2-3 decades.

Pakistan has a lot of land but it lacks the water to make use of it.

Irrigation is very expensive.

Same situation in Indian Punjab and Indian Gujarat.

Irrigation is very expensive.

Same situation in Indian Punjab and Indian Gujarat.
Absolutely not. Pakistan is a desert being irrigated by the Indus river system. Gujrat was struggling but Nramada project has taken care.

Alhamdila. It's not education, but the mindset the middle class and upper and rulling elite have.

Time and time again they have betrayed their selves.

Pakistan could have been developed as an upper middle income country by around a decade ago.

If I say this to an average pak on the street, their mind will jump straight at mujib bdeshi being traitors.

Mujib even though he had reassurances he knew full well, he at the worst he could loose his life and will of his family members perishing. He did it to save united, he also wanted to do his best Eastern side. As still now the pak rulling elite keep falling thier ppl.

At the heart of pak ppls culture - its their caste blood lineage On a near feudal level that is very problematic

Shuppapowa with shuppapowa economy is now doing better than war torn Afghanistan. They're on the right trajectory alright. :lol:

I thought Pakistan had a perpetual agreement with India on sharing of water of indus. Indus river system is drying up is a news to me.

Good work by BD. Shows what you can achieve with a visionary leader (like SHW at the helm).

Regards

Are you dividing water quantity by the area of total Pakistan to think Pakistan water scarce?

Punjab both in Pakistan and india has been the bread basket since after 1860s when the then British Indian govt built extensive irrigation canals.

Deserts do not produce farm goods and so, you do not have to add it to show Pakistan is short of water except that it has a few ponds where children swim just it is in BD.

Please read about the Noon-Nehru Treaty on water distribution of Sind and other rivers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom