Bangladesh: Profits of commercial vehicle sellers slump in Q1

SMX 3.0

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Profits of commercial vehicle sellers slump in Q1

17 November, 2021, 09:55 pm

Three listed automobile companies – Ifad Autos, Runner Automobiles, and Aftab Automobiles – posted up to a 40% fall in profits in the quarter

1637219371754.png

Tanveer Ahmed, managing director at Ifad Autos Limited, told The Business Standard, "Both our import and transport costs had increased owing to Covid-19, leading to a drop in profit margins."

Their sales of trucks rose, but those of buses fell in the first quarter like in the previous fiscal year. However, revenue did not fall drastically this time, he also added.

Shanat Datta, chief financial officer at Runner Automobiles, said they had suffered losses from sales of motorcycles and three-wheelers in the quarter. "With the normalisation of the pandemic situation, we are now on the recovery track," he also said.

The losses also hit their share prices badly. In the last one month, Ifad's share price dropped by 26%, Runner's share 24% and Aftab's share 22% at the Dhaka Stock Exchange (DSE).

At the end of Wednesday's trading session at the DSE, Ifad's each share closed at Tk50.10, Runner at Tk52.80 and Aftab at Tk30.60

Aftab Automobiles, which assembles and sells Japanese Hino buses, saw its revenue drop by 40% to Tk19.78 crore and reported a loss of Tk0.87 crore in the first quarter of the current fiscal year.

Officials at Aftab Automobiles said their business has been going through a lean time for a long time. And, bus sales basically dropped as they could not import chassis of any new Hino bus because they cannot open a letter of credit owing to their defaulting on bank loans.

Besides, demand for Hino buses is also dropping as buses of other companies manufactured in India are now becoming popular, they added

Ifad Autos, a sole distributor of Ashok Leyland vehicles, reported an 8% year-on-year quarterly fall in revenue to Tk173.32 crore and its net profit also decreased by 40% to Tk10.43 crore.

On the other hand, two-wheeler sales of Runner Automobiles fell by 10% to Tk85.48 crore and it incurred a loss of Tk1.09 crore from motorcycle business.

Runner Automobiles is the manufacturer of Runner, UM and Piaggio two wheelers, and also the sole distributor of KTM motorcycles and Bajaj three-wheelers.

The company also sells Eicher commercial vehicles under its subsidiary Runner Motors, which helped the company post growth in consolidated revenue. In the first quarter of the current fiscal year, its truck sales rose by 15% to Tk146.50 crore.

Ifad Autos, a sole distributor of Ashok Leyland vehicles, reported an 8% year-on-year quarterly fall in revenue to Tk173.32 crore

Only 173 crore or $20 million worth of Ashok Leyland CVs sold in a quarter.

Annual market for CVs in Bangladesh= 10,000 trucks and 3000 buses.

Fullscreen capture 14-01-2021 141127.bmp.jpg

Does this looks like a 8% growth rate economy with higher per capita GDP than India @bluesky??

@SMX 3.0, you speak of decreased vehicles sales in Bangladesh as compared to say India as if that's a bad thing. Please read the below thread of mine on a related topic :

@SMX 3.0, you speak of decreased vehicles sales in Bangladesh as compared to say India as if that's a bad thing. Please read the below thread of mine on a related topic :

Please do tell me how you will transport containers/ LCL loads/ construction material/ fuel to it's destination without freight trucks. I am waiting.

This
Only 173 crore or $20 million worth of Ashok Leyland CVs sold in a quarter.

Annual market for CVs in Bangladesh= 10,000 trucks and 3000 buses.

View attachment 794325

Does this looks like a 8% growth rate economy with higher per capita GDP than India @bluesky??

You have presented a most idiotic analysis of an economy - no background research, no context.

Judging BD on vehicle sales is like judging India based on toilet sales - your economy would look sub-Ethiopian.

You have presented a most idiotic analysis of an economy - no background research, no context.

The consumption of commercial vehicles itself is a good indicator for the performance of the economy. The self proclaimed exports- based economy should definitely buying more than 10,000 trucks every year.

And well, it's not like Bangladesh has decent consumption figures to show for literally anything from motorcycles to smartphones either. They have been compared in this forum before.

Consumption of trucks is even more important for Bangladesh as it's railway system is literally a train wreck. Do you want me to dig out the percentage shares of modes of transportation in & out of your only major port from sources such as the ADB or WB?

I do admit that the comparison is not the most accurate, given that the market in India is skewed towards more productive tractor trailers & multi axle trucks unlike the same in Bangladesh.

Also it's known that Bangladesh cooks up it's GDP figures by adjusting the percentage share of its transportation sector. It's already well known that BD calculates it's GDP by first fixing a per capita GDP figure & then calculating backwards.

Judging BD on vehicle sales is like judging India based on toilet sales - your economy would look sub-Ethiopian.

You got it, but in reverse. :lol:

India 71%
Bangladesh 54%

Please do tell me how you will transport containers/ LCL loads/ construction material/ fuel to it's destination without freight trucks. I am waiting.

My thread is not about trucks but about cars, two-wheelers and buses. Trucks will need to be there.

Yeah. I've noticed that, usually ignore him but this thread is just desperate

Reality hurts? Don't worry, here's more...

According to BBS, the size of Bangladesh land transport sector is $28.4 billion.

The percentage share of land transport sector in Bangladesh's is 8.8% which is higher than the GDP share of all modes of transportation in India (7%).

There is are just 2 problems.

Problem 1: The number of commercial vehicles in Bangladesh per capita is just a fraction of the same in India.

As of 2018, Bangladesh has just..

1/5 times the number of trucks
1/3 times the number of buses
1/14 times the number of light commercial vehicles (4 wheelers- goods)

...per capita, when compared with India.

Want to see something even more funny?

Divide the value addition of land transportation by the total number of commercial vehicles in Bangladesh (490K). Each vehicle adds $58K or 4 million taka to the GDP.

I can't even... :rofl:

Problem 2: Despite claiming a higher GDP per capita than India & a higher share for land transportation in GDP, the primary energy consumption of Bangladesh is a fraction of that of India, per capita.

Primary energy consumption in quadrillion BTUs (British Thermal Units)- US Energy Information Administration.

India: 31.328
Bangladesh: 1.551

That is 2.5 times more per capita.

So Bangladesh's road transportation sector is adding more than 2X per capita when compared with India while the country itself consumes just 2/5th of India's primary energy consumption per capita?

I dont know what you fill the fuel tanks of your trucks with, but the stuff even seen to violate the laws of thermodynamics. :lol:
My thread is not about trucks but about cars, two-wheelers and buses. Trucks will need to be there.

Please do read the opening post of this thread.

On the other hand, two-wheeler sales of Runner Automobiles fell by 10% to Tk85.48 crore and it incurred a loss of Tk1.09 crore from motorcycle business.

Runner Automobiles is the manufacturer of Runner, UM and Piaggio two wheelers, and also the sole distributor of KTM motorcycles and Bajaj three-wheelers.

@jamahir

The topic is about commercial vehicles. That's why I quoted the sales figures of Ashok Leyland in the second post.

Also please do see the number of buses in Bangladesh. Also do Google up the number of passengers carried by Bangladesh's railways.

Then you'll understand why your idea of banning personal vehicles for public transport won't work there.

Reality hurts? Don't worry, here's more...

According to BBS, the size of Bangladesh land transport sector is $28.4 billion.

The percentage share of land transport sector in Bangladesh's is 8.8% which is higher than the GDP share of all modes of transportation in India (7%).

There is are just 2 problems.

Problem 1: The number of commercial vehicles in Bangladesh per capita is just a fraction of the same in India.

As of 2018, Bangladesh has just..

1/5 times the number of trucks
1/3 times the number of buses
1/14 times the number of light commercial vehicles (4 wheelers- goods)

...per capita, when compared with India.

Want to see something even more funny?

Divide the value addition of land transportation by the total number of commercial vehicles in Bangladesh (490K). Each vehicle adds $58K or 4 million taka to the GDP.

I can't even... :rofl:

Problem 2: Despite claiming a higher GDP per capita than India & a higher share for land transportation in GDP, the primary energy consumption of Bangladesh is a fraction of that of India, per capita.

Primary energy consumption in quadrillion BTUs (British Thermal Units)- US Energy Information Administration.

India: 31.328
Bangladesh: 1.551

That is 2.5 times more per capita.

So Bangladesh's road transportation sector is adding more than 2X per capita when compared with India while the country itself consumes just 2/5th of India's primary energy consumption per capita?

I dont know what you fill the fuel tanks of your trucks with, but the stuff even seen to violate the laws of thermodynamics. :lol:

They aren’t using air trasportation that much either.

They aren’t using air trasportation that much either.

They don't use much transport or energy for that matter. Consumption of products like smartphones are yet another indicator. Another excellent indicator is tax revenue, and the size of it is out there for everyone to see

Little wonder why they all rely on cooked up statistics from BBS. I ave no clue how this country functions, lol.

Back
Top Bottom