What's new

Bangladesh Navy is getting some extra frigates very soon

So how many does the bangladesh wants 7? then they should look towards the Type-54As they are the best along with some corvettes and FACSs too...

So how many does the bangladesh wants 7? then they should look towards the Type-54As they are the best along with some corvettes and FACSs too...

Looking at various sources, i think bangladesh is going for around 5 frigates to replace the aging ones from the royal navy. I think we did order some corvettes from china, not sure about FACs though.

Type 54A is relatively new. I dont think the chinese would want to share it yet

...yet I seriously believe that we need a strong submarine fleet, both in offensive and defensive role...

...yet I seriously believe that we need a strong submarine fleet, both in offensive and defensive role...

Hasina said already that she is going to get it around 2019

Posted in New Age on May 20, 2012

New Age | Newspaper

Dhaka to talk frigate purchase with Beijing

By: Shakhawat Hossain

The government has formed a committee to negotiate with a Chinese team on purchase of two frigates to enhance Bangladesh’s naval strength in the resourceful Bay of Bengal, officials said.
Commodore Khandokar Tawfiquzzaman of Bangladesh Navy is heading the 10-member local negotiating committee and commander Kazi Mehdi Masud will act as its member- secretary.
Other members of the committee are: captain M Ziauddin Alamgir, captain M Jahangir Alam and commander SM Riazul Rasdid of the navy, commander Sayeed Mahmud Hasan of the armed forced division and one member each from the ministries of finance, defence and law and senior finance controller of the navy.
Officials said the Chinese delegation of PLA navy is scheduled to visit Bangladesh in the current month and will stay here until the middle of June.
The delegation will also include officials of Bometec, a leading Chinese electric company, and Poly Tech, a subsidiary of China Poly Group Corporation manufacturing defence equipment.
Both the sides will work out details of the state-to-state frigate purchase agreement the groundwork of which was laid during the visit of prime minister Sheikh Hasina to China in March 2010.
Beijing had offered two of its old 053H2 frigates at a very lower rate on conditions that Dhaka would bear refurbishment and defence equipment costs for the off-the-shelf ships.
Officials said the armed forced division had planned to utilise budgetary allocations of Tk 6.55 billion to be given for 2012-13 to 2016-17 fiscals for the purchase of the proposed frigates.
China had built the frigates in early 1990s which are capable of carrying eight anti-ship missiles.
At present, Bangladesh Navy has six frigates – BNS Bangabandhu, formerly known as BNS Khalid bin Walid of South Korea, BNS Osman of China and BNS Umar Farooq, BNS Abu Bakar and BNS Ali Haider of the UK.
But half of the frigates will be decommissioned in near future or are in the process of decommissioning.
Officials said commissioning of the 053H2-type frigates would help the navy to bolster coastal patrol in the bay, the dimension of which had changed a lot in the last one decade amid growing interest of India, China and the US in the area.
Bangladesh and its neighbour Myanmar were on the edge of a war in the bay in 2009 over oil and gas exploration by the latter in the disputed areas.
Both the countries had engaged in legal battle over the disputed areas in an international court that gave verdict a couple of a month ago. Besides, Bangladesh is still running a legal battle against another neighbour, India, over maritime boundary in the same international court.
Officials said Myanmar also plans to acquire two old frigates from China. The type- 53H1frigates, built in the 1980s, can carry four anti-ship missiles, they said.
Associated Press reported from New Delhi on February 9, 2012 that India had decided to buy 126 multi-role fighter jets from France, taken delivery of a nuclear-powered submarine from Russia and prepared for its first aircraft carrier in recent weeks to increase its strength in the Bay of Bengal as well as the Indian Ocean.
The US struck a deal called the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement with Sri Lanka in 2007. ACSA, a military cooperation deal, aims at enhancing the rapid deployment capability of the US forces far away from their bases.
Officials said Dhaka is under pressure from Washington to sign a similar military cooperation deal.

I think, BN will have a fleet of seven frigates. It will decommission three out of its present five frigates and add five to make it seven. Out of the five addition two will be from China and three units will come from south Korea. However, the induction will take place in phases.

I have read somewhere and then posted to some thread that BN will purchase two diesel-electric submarines from China.

I think, BN will have a fleet of seven frigates. It will decommission three out of its present five frigates and add five to make it seven. Out of the five addition two will be from China and three units will come from south Korea. However, the induction will take place in phases.

I have read somewhere and then posted to some thread that BN will purchase two diesel-electric submarines from China.

The following Type 53H2 ships (JianghuIII) are to be sold to Bangladesh Navy

00624502.jpg

00624506.jpg

1. 535 Huangshi
2. 536 Wuhu

Type 53H2 Jianghu III to be transfered to Bangladesh navy

Specification and Refit:

Tonnage : 2000 Full
Crew : 190
Speed : 27 knots

Electronics :
Type 360 radar air/surface search, I-band
Type 517H-1 2D long-range air search, A-band
Type 352 Radar surface search fire-control, I-band
Type 343 fire control radar, G/H-band
2 x Type 341 fire control radar for dual 37 mm AA gun
2 x Racal RM-1290 navigation radars, I-band
SJD-5 medium-frequency sonar
SJC-1B reconnaissance sonar
SJX-4 communications sonar
CTC-1629 combat data system (or Chinese copy ZKJ-3A)
Data link: HN-900 (Chinese equivalent of Link 11A/B, to be upgraded)
Communication: SNTI-240 SATCOM
RWD-8 (Jug Pair) intercept EW suite
Type 9230I radar warning receiver
Type 651A IFF

Armament :
8 x C-802A SSM
8 x FM-90N SAM
2 x PJ33A dual 100 mm gun (modified Type 79A)
4 x Type 76A dual-37 mm AA guns
2 x 5-tube Type 81 ASW rocket launcher (30 rounds)
4 x Type 64 DC projectors
2 x DC racks
2 x Mk-36RBOC 6-barrel decoy rocket launchers

i have heard that Bangladesh will procure frigate's from South Korea ..... is there any updates about this info?

I have checked the specifications/characteristics. It has no helipad.

If the rear mounted gun is removed then it may be refit to carry one helicopter. Two of the Type 53H1 ships were transferred to Chinese Coast guard has been modified to carry one Z-9C helicopter. But, i do not know if the two upcoming BN ships will do such modifications.

we are not getting any f22B or korean frigates.... These two will replace two old non guided missile frigates... Thats all for this government.....

Back
Top Bottom