What's new

Bangladesh bans marriages for Rohingya Muslim refugees

This anti Muslim move set legal precedence and now ban can be imposed on Bangladeshis marrying anyone from west Bengal and india.

Really sad plight of the Rohingiyas. One tragedy after another is happening to them

Do you think we are in a position to invade and annex full or parts of Arakan/Rakhine?

I'm not arguing for invasion rather diplomatic pushes. If adding the land to Bangladesh is considered so outrageous, an independent Arakan could be a better solution.

I'm not arguing for invasion rather diplomatic pushes. If adding the land to Bangladesh is considered so outrageous, an independent Arakan could be a better solution.

Even independent Arakan is not an option. Independent Arakan was a vassal of Sultanate Bangalah and Subah Bangalah, but when the Subah or semi-independent Nawabi fell under British in 1757, the Bamar and Burman took this opportunity to attack and annex Arakan in 1785. All Rakhines resisted in 1785, some of them escaped to our land and some were here from before. There are 200,000 Rakhines in Bangladesh, roughly 10% of their total population:
Rakhine people, Bangladesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But more than 2 million Buddhist Rakhines that are in Rakhine state today, no longer want independence. I understand their reasoning, they have historically been too small to survive on their own, and they are still like that today. Bamars/Burmans have convinced them that they are safer under protection of their Buddhist kin Bamars/Burmans. After we became Bangladesh in 1971, we became a weak state again, so Bamars/Burmans took this opportunity to drive out close to 2 million Rohingya's. They did not dare take this step during Pakistan. There is only about Rohingya's 800,000 left in Rakhine state today. So Buddhist Rakhines are the overwhelming majority there and in fact are committing much of the atrocities in riots to displace and oust as many Rohingya as possible in a slow motion ethnic cleansing, with full backing and sponsorship of the Bamar/Burman dominated Army and elected govt.

If you look at history, what happened in Bengal always had an effect in Arakan, whenever we lost power and sovereignty, the Bamar/Burmans have advanced. Today they are armed to the teeth and they have changed the facts on the ground, meaning ethnically cleansed the Rohingya from their land. But try explaining these things to any Bangladeshi, even historians or university professors, they will open their mouth and draw a blank stare at you.

So this latest Rohingya fiasco is also intimately tied with the Indian sponsored project Bangladesh, breaking Pakistan and creating an independent country called Bangladesh, ruled by clueless morons, which will forever remain a client state of Delhi.

Even independent Arakan is not an option. Independent Arakan was a vassal of Sultanate Bangalah and Subah Bangalah, but when the Subah or semi-independent Nawabi fell under British in 1757, the Bamar and Burman took this opportunity to attack and annex Arakan in 1785. All Rakhines resisted in 1785, some of them escaped to our land and some were here from before. There are 200,000 Rakhines in Bangladesh, roughly 10% of their total population:
Rakhine people, Bangladesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But more than 2 million Buddhist Rakhines that are in Rakhine state today, no longer want independence. I understand their reasoning, they have historically been too small to survive on their own, and they are still like that today. Bamars/Burmans have convinced them that they are safer under protection of their Buddhist kin Bamars/Burmans. After we became Bangladesh in 1971, we became a weak state again, so Bamars/Burmans took this opportunity to drive out close to 2 million Rohingya's. They did not dare take this step during Pakistan. There is only about Rohingya's 800,000 left in Rakhine state today. So Buddhist Rakhines are the overwhelming majority there and in fact are committing much of the atrocities in riots to displace and oust as many Rohingya as possible in a slow motion ethnic cleansing, with full backing and sponsorship of the Bamar/Burman dominated Army and elected govt.

If you look at history, what happened in Bengal always had an effect in Arakan, whenever we lost power and sovereignty, the Bamar/Burmans have advanced. Today they are armed to the teeth and they have changed the facts on the ground, meaning ethnically cleansed the Rohingya from their land. But try explaining these things to any Bangladeshi, even historians or university professors, they will open their mouth and draw a blank stare at you.

So this latest Rohingya fiasco is also intimately tied with the Indian sponsored project Bangladesh, breaking Pakistan and creating an independent country called Bangladesh, ruled by clueless morons, which will forever remain a client state of Delhi.

Well I know Arakan and Bengal have a common history and they rightfully belonged to us. Probably, splitting the Rakhine state into two would be the best solution, one for the Rakhine Buddhists and the other for the Rohingya Muslims. The part of the Rohingya Muslims should be merged with Bangladesh to prevent the Burmese aggression that they have conducted in Arakan throughout history. However, these all should be achieved through diplomatic pushes.

I somewhere read that the during 1947 the Rohingyas called for merging Arakan with East Pakistan (Burma was yet to be established) but the Pakistani leaders ignored it.

Probably, splitting the Rakhine state into two would be the best solution, one for the Rakhine Buddhists and the other for the Rohingya Muslims. The part of the Rohingya Muslims should be merged with Bangladesh to prevent the Burmese aggression that they have conducted in Arakan throughout history. However, these all should be achieved through diplomatic pushes.

I somewhere read that the during 1947 the Rohingyas called for merging Arakan with East Pakistan (Burma was yet to be established) but the Pakistani leaders ignored it.
The problem with this solution is that there is no one to implement it. Its merely wishing.
Bangladesh does not have the military capability to do so. Myanmar is adequately armed to prevent this.
There is no diplomatic support - neither China, nor India nor US nor UN will support any idea of splitting Myanmar.

The problem with this solution is that there is no one to implement it. Its merely wishing.

Well, any solution to this issue is merely wishing as no one is interested on it.

Bangladesh does not have the military capability to do so. Myanmar is adequately armed to prevent this.

Even if we did, I would have never supported a military action.

There is no diplomatic support - neither China, nor India nor US nor UN will support any idea of splitting Myanmar.

There is no support because we have the worst diplomats on the planet. However, if it becomes worse and we can build a strategic ally with China and could convince the West, could be possible. You can't predict how the geopolitics would go in future.

The problem could even be solved if the Burmese government grants citizenship to the Rohingyas, however, given the anti-Muslim sentiment prevalent throughout Burma, I don't know how effective it would be.

Well, any solution to this issue is merely wishing as no one is interested on it.
Exactly. So you must think of solutions that are doable - ie within Bangladesh's reach.

Even if we did, I would have never supported a military action.
A peacenik eh?
Well, more power to you.
There is no support because we have the worst diplomats on the planet. However, if it becomes worse and we can build a strategic ally with China and could convince the West, could be possible. You can't predict how the geopolitics would go in future.
Its not about your diplomats. Its simply not in China's interest to see a divided Myanmar. Their interests are better served with a united Myanmar. You have to make any one see benefits for them to back such a plan.
The problem could even be solved if the Burmese government grants citizenship to the Rohingyas, however, given the anti-Muslim sentiment prevalent throughout Burma, I don't know how effective it would be.
How many rohingyas are there?

Exactly. So you must think of solutions that are doable - ie within Bangladesh's reach.

Well, there's nothing on our reach really.

A peacenik eh?
Well, more power to you.

:D

Its not about your diplomats. Its simply not in China's interest to see a divided Myanmar. Their interests are better served with a united Myanmar. You have to make any one see benefits for them to back such a plan.

It is largely about diplomacy I guess, the bold part is what the diplomats have failed to deliver, the best period to do such thing was probably during Burma's isolation and economic embargo from the West.

How many rohingyas are there?

About 1.5 million overall, 800,000 are still living in Rakhine. We have about 400,000 registered Rohingya refugees, another 100,000-150,000 are living in Thailand. A few hundred thousand also managed to migrate to middle-East with fake Bangladeshi passports.

Well I know Arakan and Bengal have a common history and they rightfully belonged to us. Probably, splitting the Rakhine state into two would be the best solution, one for the Rakhine Buddhists and the other for the Rohingya Muslims. The part of the Rohingya Muslims should be merged with Bangladesh to prevent the Burmese aggression that they have conducted in Arakan throughout history. However, these all should be achieved through diplomatic pushes.

You cannot split any part of another sovereign nation state, you are not dealing with piece of pie you know.

I don't know what happened with Arakan in 1947, perhaps @asad71 can elaborate.

As I mentioned before, we are left with the only option of accepting all remaining 800,000 Rohingya's. Perhaps rich Gulf states can bear part of the burden with financial help and jobs for some of them. We cannot afford to screw up our relationship with Myanmar, which is now an important member of ASEAN and this will build the foundation of a working relationship.

As I mentioned before, we are left with the only option of accepting all remaining 800,000 Rohingya's. Perhaps rich Gulf states can bear part of the burden with financial help and jobs for some of them. We cannot afford to screw up our relationship with Myanmar, which is now an important member of ASEAN and this will build the foundation of a working relationship.

Okay, I'm all for accepting all the Rohingyas if the Gulf states could build us few Palm islands on Bay of Bengal....

Okay, I'm all for accepting all the Rohingyas if the Gulf states could build us few Palm islands on Bay of Bengal....

We don't need a palm island, what we need is around 200,000 additional overseas jobs specifically allocated for these Rohingya's so they can remit money to Bangladesh and support their families and also contribute to Bangladesh economy. May be some part of these jobs could be from Malaysia as well.

Back
Top Bottom