What's new

Bangladesh Air Force sends pilots for training on F-18 Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this desire to purchase the Super Hornets in response to Burma's procurements of the latest Russian MiG-29 SMTs and the recent bitterness emerged between Burmese Junta and Bangladeshi government?

If so, I highly recommend Bangladesh to consider the F/A-18s if expense isn't an issue for your country. We in Switzerland have them and they are excellent in terms of serviceability and maintenance. Also since both Switzerland and Bangladesh are small countries, it would be an effective solution to the Burmese aggression.

I think Yatagans were never a strong option,although would love myself to be proved wrong.
It could be that those 7 tanks are yatagans,to be tested in BD terrain.
But I still think Type-96 is ahead in the race.

About SAM system,yes its confusing.May be they are buying only a single unit of something.May be FM-90 land variant (HQ-7).It takes large bucks to raise a battalion.So it is a single battery.

Yes its on now in Cox Bazar.We need more air crafts ASAP.As it seems we have more air bases than we need.:lol:

I do not know about the self-weight of Yatagan tanks, but Type-96 tanks weigh more than 40 ton. Our terrain may not be suitable for heavy tanks, even in the north. In the 1971 war, Indians sent tanks that weighed less than 20 ton to our marsh land, but even these were bogged down.

I would prefer lighter tanks, but with heavy fire power and speed.

I do not know about the self-weight of Yatagan tanks, but Type-96 tanks weigh more than 40 ton. Our terrain may not be suitable for heavy tanks, even in the north. In the 1971 war, Indians sent tanks that weighed less than 20 ton to our marsh land, but even these were bogged down.

I would prefer lighter tanks, but with heavy fire power and speed.

T-84 is in the same league.

Recently I have seen a video of Leopard 2 tank in a terrain similar to BD.Although Leopard weighs more than 50 tonnes,it still maneuvered excellently.

The problem with light tank is they are lightly armoured and will be easily be damaged with RPG,ATGMs or enemy tank fire So not a good option.

We have to remember the power of the engines of these tanks are way more than those tanks in 1971s.So that's a big factor,as that will help the tank movement easier.
Besides the Northern part of BD is okay for tank battle.Our existing tanks with upgrades also weighs around 40 tonnes.So I don't think weight is going to be such a big factor.

Last edited:
KURMITOLA AIR BASE, Bangladesh — Family members and friends of Bangladesh Air Force personnel gather around a U.S. Marine Corps F/A-18 Hornet fighter aircraft during an open house Oct. 26 at Kurmitola Air Base, Bangladesh. Marine Fighter-Attack Squadron 314 is currently participating in Exercise Sumo Tiger 2007, a bilateral training exercise between the U.S. Marine Corps and the Bangladesh Air Force (800 × 533 pixels) :

1.jpg

640 × 426 pixels version of this photo in previous post # 169 (Chisty Chowdhury)

3088 × 2056 pixels version of the same and its indirect preview

Some photos about this (thumbnails here) posted by Lankan Ranger in page no. 2 of this thread :

images
images
images
images

MAG -12 Marines kick off Sumo Tiger in Bangladesh - PDF (go to page no. 8 of the magazine)

MAG -12 Marines kick off Sumo Tiger in Bangladesh - Google Docs (go to page no. 8 of the magazine)

Wikipedia entry about Squadron 314

How old is this thread?

BAF has seen PAF's days of sanctions. It wouldn't be wise to go for F-18. I still maintain my opinion that BAF should go for more Mig-29s with the best possible upgrades similar to the up coming upgrades of Russian Air Force Migs, along with current fleet to upgrades.

How old is this thread?

BAF has seen PAF's days of sanctions. It wouldn't be wise to go for F-18. I still maintain my opinion that BAF should go for more Mig-29s with the best possible upgrades similar to the up coming upgrades of Russian Air Force Migs, along with current fleet to upgrades.

I guess BAF decided to stick to Chinese. FC-1 probably won the race for now with two squadron if Chinese could deliver. J-10 is next in the menu.

I guess BAF decided to stick to Chinese. FC-1 probably won the race for now with two squadron if Chinese could deliver. J-10 is next in the menu.

FC-1 will most likely replace all A-5 Fantans that is the only BAF A-5 squadron, however it would be very attractive deal to get couple of squadrons of both FC-1 blk I and blk II keep cost low of modernizing.

I don't have any idea about this alleged stealth FC-1 but it true then blk II would be the best option.

How old is this thread?

Its almost a year old. I don't know why the USA banned sale of fighters to Bangladesh. We as a state have never participated in anti-American activities.

The FC-1 would make a good replacement for the aging A-5s.

I don't understand, America stands by Muhammad Yunus and at the same time stands with Indian interests in the region(?) Contradictory if you ask me. Highly contradictory.

It was speculated that there is a possibility of a more 'stealthy' variant of the FC-1.
http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-defence/116115-possible-photo-stealthy-jf-17-variant.html

Oh damn! The original photo was removed :argh:

Its almost a year old. I don't know why the USA banned sale of fighters to Bangladesh. We as a state have never participated in anti-American activities.

I don't understand, America stands by Muhammad Yunus and at the same time stands with Indian interests in the region(?) Contradictory if you ask me. Highly contradictory.

:

US decision to provide advanced technology is based on the threat perception of the country asking for the same and who would potentially have access to the aircraft. Maybe the Americans think that BD is close to the Chinese and they might provide F/A 18 access to them.

India and BD are not in the same league so the question of upsetting a balance of power does not arise. Even if BD does receive a squad or two of F/18s its not going to change the equation much.

US decision to provide advanced technology is based on the threat perception of the country asking for the same and who would potentially have access to the aircraft. Maybe the Americans think that BD is close to the Chinese and they might provide F/A 18 access to them.

India and BD are not in the same league so the question of upsetting a balance of power does not arise. Even if BD does receive a squad or two of F/18s its not going to change the equation much.

Yeah I know. Please understand, I don't imply into getting an arms race with India or anything.

I was referring to Indian interests because the current AL government is pro-India. Blindly pro-India for that matter :undecided:

F-18E/F is a $70+ Million Item Imagine the total cost of purchase and training.

Although FC-1 is relatively new the procurement of FC-1 becomes attractive deal also if BAF gets Y-8 based one or two AEW&C along FC-1s.

Yeah I know. Please understand, I don't imply into getting an arms race with India or anything.

I was referring to Indian interests because the current AL government is pro-India. Blindly pro-India for that matter :undecided:

Thanks for the clarification. Quite honestly, BD does not need to get into an arms race. Economy is the real deal nowadays. Make yourself an economic powerhouse and everything else follows.

There is a lot of negativity around Indians and India as such on BD forums. Not sure if its a general south asian trait that follow all of us or something. We are never really happy with each other progress :)

India will always have interests and she would do all in its power to further them and increase its sphere of influence. BD has its own interests too, but what it can do about them is limited to its resources and clout. Sure there are covert ways to further ones interest, but them that is a zero sum game as the other party is inclined to return in kind.

Regarding a pro India govt, BD needs to make up its mind what their international policy is. Do not follow Pakistan which is perpetually looking for a master in the international arena. It was US now it China,tomorrow it will be someone else. BD needs to grow in economy and stature before it can stand eye to eye with India and stare it down. As of now, neither does BD have the economy or resource at its disposal to do the same.

If BD people are not happy with the govt they should vote them out. That's the beauty of democracy.

F 18 apparently is not selling!

India found it a trifle 'heavy' to response.

F 18 apparently is not selling!

India found it a trifle 'heavy' to response.

What's more, the US will replace the Hornets with F-35s. I'd say around ten years time, it'll retire. Apart from the Super Hornet and Growler versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom