What's new

Bahrain executes three Shiites in first capital punishment since 2010

The UN's special rapporteur on extra-judicial killings, Dr Agnes Callamard, condemned the executions of 3 men in Bahrain describing it as: "Torture, unfair trial + flimsy evidence: these are extrajudicial killings."
Thank you for coming back to the point.

Manama : The final death penalty sentence upheld against the convicts indicted in the Daih bomb blast was based on compelling evidence, said Haroun Alzayani, Attorney General affiliated with the Public Prosecutor’s technical office.

The evidence included the witnesses’ testimonies, the convicts’ own confessions, the material tools and telecommunication devices which were found with the executed convicts and others.

Results of forensic reports also corroborated with the verbal testimonies, material evidence as well as the circumstances that surrounded the Daih deadly explosion.

The High Criminal Court took into consideration the detailed compelling evidence in issuing the death verdict, which was upheld respectively by the High Court of Appeals and then by the Court of Cassation.

The convicts were caught with materials and substances which used in making the lethal explosives.

Human cells collected from one bomb which was defused at the scene of the blast were found to be matching with the DNA of one of the executed convicts.

Forensic examination of the mobile phones revealed that the convicts used a special programme in their communications. The taped conversations revealed that the trio used the same programme during the days before the blast.

The investigation revealed that the two mobile phones which were used in detonating the bomb that targeted the security forces had been tested the night before the blast.

The reports submitted by the coroner and the forensic experts matched with the convicts’ confessions, regarding the nature of the substances which were used to make the bomb and the detonation technique.

The convicts received fair public trials and all the legal guarantees, in the presence of their lawyers, who had access to the case before delivering their pleadings.

Twelve judges handled the case during the different stages of judicial litigation and found the evidence compelling, dismissing any presumed doubt and finding no
reason to grant the convicts mercy or commute the death penalty.

000PST_15-01-2017_1484545282_3BKHt1O4LW.jpg

Killed Bahrain policemen

http://www.newsofbahrain.com/viewNews.php?ppId=29444&TYPE=Posts&pid=21&MNU=2&SUB=50

Manama : To implement their terrorist plot, the suspects planted three IEDs on the highway the evening before the crime. According to the plan, members were tasked with detonating the devices, others with monitoring the area and one with recording the explosions.

They carried out their plot, starting with staging riots to lure the policemen. A group member (sentenced to death) took up his place atop a building and detonated the explosive device.

“The other two IEDs were not detonated as one was damaged by the first explosion and the policemen did not get close to the place where the other one had been placed,” Al Hammadi said.

http://www.newsofbahrain.com/viewNews.php?ppId=29440&TYPE=Posts&pid=21&MNU=2&SUB=3

Manama : Six suspects were charged with joining the terror group Al Ashtar Brigades.

“They, along with the second suspect were charged with carrying out terrorist activities, killing and attempting to kill policemen, damage public properties, and possessing, storing and using explosive substances. Their aim was to carry out acts of terror, fund their terror group and finance its activities,” Al Hammadi said.

The High Criminal Court sentenced three defendants to death and the remaining suspects to life in jail.

000PST_15-01-2017_1484544569_XrscMKBFNd.jpg

Some of the defendants were also stripped off their nationality.

The defendants challenged the verdict and their lawyers presented memoranda explaining the reason for challenging the court rulings.

The verdicts were later upheld by the Court of Appeals.

The Public Prosecution referred the case to the Court of Cassation which cancelled the sentence and referred it back to the Court of Appeal on October 17, 2016 to re-consider it

000PST_15-01-2017_1484544617_xzeUk62l0d.jpg

The Appeals Court deliberated the case a second time on December 4, and upheld the sentence.

The appeals by the defendants were again reviewed by the Court of Cassation last Monday.

The Court upheld the initial ruling, and the death sentence was finalised leading to the execution.

http://www.newsofbahrain.com/viewNews.php?ppId=29443&TYPE=Posts&pid=21&MNU=2&SUB=3

This is no game that the evidence is not substantial and the courts give out death sentences. The case has been to different courts and the court of cassation cancelled the sentence and probably preferred a lenient punishment. But the court of appeals again reinstated the rightful initial judgement of execution. Blasting a bomb and killing government official is not a joke. They should be dealt with an iron fist. This is just one of the instances where justice has been served. There should be more of such examples. Human rights and other such organizations are casting doubts in peoples' minds that the investigation was not proper or the evidence was not substantial. Instead it culprits have been proven guilty by means of witnesses, DNA (from another undetonated bomb from the same scene), recorded conversations and confessions. Bahraini authorities are very competent and they do not present a case in front of a judge until it is solid.

Most of us here feel for the families of the executed but we also feel for the families of the policemen they killed. Justice needed to be served. No two ways about it.

Last edited:
you statement is self contradictory,

Democracy means people's choice and no dictatorship

We all know the so called democratic groups of Bahrain are proxy extensions of Iran..just like the Iranian people lose to Mullah dictatorship same will happen in Bahrain...the majority will vote on sectarian basis and then the country will be lost..

Those killed Bahraini policemen were not angels or unarmed civilians. In fact these policemen are guilty of killing 93 civilians, wounding 2900 people and torturing 1800 people.This is a fact and even Al-Jazeera, the mouthpiece of Qatar which is a close ally of Bahrain's ruling family couldn't deny.

We all know the so called democratic groups of Bahrain are proxy extensions of Iran..just like the Iranian people lose to Mullah dictatorship same will happen in Bahrain...the majority will vote on sectarian basis and then the country will be lost..
Again Contradiction :P

If majority wants some thing then its not dictatorship

US, UK support encourages Bahrain to suppress dissent: Pundit

bahrain-f2-protest-rdv-tmagArticle.jpg

Bahrain’s recent execution of three anti-regime activists has caused widespread rage throughout the nation and drawn international condemnation. Press TV has talked to two commentators to discuss the reasons why the Al Khalifah dynasty carries out such harsh measures which could instigate violence in the tiny Persian Gulf state.

Michael Springmann, a former US diplomat in Saudi Arabia from Washington, maintained that the Manama regime does not want to change its repressive policy against the democracy-seeking opposition, because of its reliance on full support from Western powers and their regional allies.

“With Bahrain being backed by the British and the American governments, this may be a small hiccup. It is a long road of repression,” Springmann told Press TV’s “The Debate” program on Sunday night.

“The United States with its Fifth Fleet headquartered in Manama knows that their presence would be threatened if the people of Bahrain want a free and democratic government,” he said.

Washington, Springmann said, attaches itself to this repressive and repulsive government, because it knows that it can gain control of the region much more easily with help from such suppressive governments compared to democratically-elected constitutional governments.

The United Kingdom, which controlled most of the Persian Gulf region until the 1970s, has changed its colonial tactics now, he said, adding that Britain is currently supporting these sheikhdoms to suppress all voices seeking a real government.

According to Springmann, in a bid to blame foreign states for the domestic unrest in Bahrain, Western governments and media have echoed allegations that Iran is supporting the Bahraini opposition to pave the way for its future role in the tiny country.

He mentioned that Britain and its puppet government in Bahrain resort to baseless allegations against Iran, whereas, in actuality, a popular uprising for freedom and democracy is happening in the Arab nation.

“Iran did not invade Bahrain when people were demonstrating [for] more freedom and democracy, [but] it was the Saudis who did this,” he said.

The analyst further touched on the history of repression and crackdown on freedom-lovers in Bahrain, saying that during the 1990s, Bahraini people demonstrated for a constitutional monarchy, but the current monarch who promised to establish a parliamentary government back then, reneged on his pledges and suppressed opponents after he became king in 2002.

As the demonstrations began in 2011, the Al Khalifah dynasty brought in Sunni forces to suffocate any opposition, while the unrest in Bahrain has nothing to do with the Shia-Sunni differences, because people from all walks of life and with different religious affiliations have been showing their resentment of the widespread inequality and lack of freedom in the country, he argued.

Pointing to the Al Khalifah regime’s tactics to repress the Shia population, he noted that the Manama government brings in foreign forces to “dilute the Shia majority.”

Since 2011, Bahraini people have been holding non-violent protests to demand reforms and a democratic state, but the government has been giving a heavy-handed security response to peaceful popular protests.

The analyst said there would not be any change in Bahrain “unless the government is overthrown and the people manage to gain control, in spite of a government monopoly on weapons.”

He predicted that the status quo wound not change and that the government would become far more repressive “if it sees its hold on power threatened in any reasonable way.”

Meanwhile, Lee Kaplan, an investigative journalist from San Francisco, said that since the US President-elect Donald Trump is going to take office in the coming days and the Bahraini government feels more secure from the American side, it has used the opportunity to adopt more harsh tactics against the opposition.

However, Kaplan claimed that the three Bahrainis, who were executed, were “terrorists” because “they killed three police officers.”

Referring to the root causes of the popular uprising in Bahrain, he said that “there is obviously a conflict between Shia Muslims and Sunni Muslims.”

The analyst acknowledged that the Manama government is a “dictatorial regime” but that Western powers “have to pick and choose their allies” in order “to have control” on international affairs.

The United States has a military presence in Bahrain “to check Iran’s expansion in the region,” Kaplan said, accusing the Islamic Republic of trying to “take over Bahrain” through supporting the Bahraini Shia population against the regime.

Since the beginning of the popular uprising in Bahrain, Iranian authorities have rejected all allegations of playing a role in the conflict, saying that they are in favor of reconciliation between the Manama government and the opposition.

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2017/01/16/506390/Bahrain-US-UK-Al-Khalifa-Springmann-Kaplan

The difference is that a mass serial killer is in no position to criticize or lecture a murderer.

Let me repeat myself once again.

I don't support either policy nor have I anything to do with historical events that occurred 10-15 generations ago.

Useless discussion and thread.

If democracy was handed to Bahrain it would become another mullah dictatorship like Iran..

If democracy was given to Syrian rebels, we would have another Saudi Arabia or let's just say another ISIS caliphate in a much bigger scale since all of them are same garbage.

Only difference is, Bahraini Shias are mostly peaceful, don't blow up themselves among Sunnis, don't behead anyone, don't eat heart of a dead soldier, don't cooperate with ISIS/AQ. But look at the hypocrisy here, it's astounding.

Last edited:
Again Contradiction :P

If majority wants some thing then its not dictatorship

Vegetarianism is bad for brain as it deprives of mono-saturated fats which is essential for brain building and function...If majority wants sick dictatorship..the majority is not right...! rationality is more important than majority vote bank...no wonder India in the name of democracy is a political laughing stock..

If democracy was given to Syrian rebels, we would have another Saudi Arabia or let's just say another ISIS caliphate in a much bigger scale since all of them are same garbage.

Only difference is, Bahraini Shias are mostly useful, don't blow up themselves among Sunnis, don't behead anyone, don't eat heart of a dead soldier, don't cooperate with ISIS/AQ. But look at the hypocrisy here, it's astounding.

I doubt it..I have met enough of these Jokers..they are extremely aggressive + sadistic and given slightest change..rivers of blood will be flowing..their obsession with settling scores and taking revenge on 1400 year old history makes them dangerous to global peace...

Personally speaking, I'm against capital punishment. I think the death penalty should be abolished worldwide as I don't find it to be civilized in any way whatsoever. Furthermore, I don't think prisons should be a place for punishment. Instead, I think prisons should be a place for rehabilitation, where inmates ought to be prepared for reintroduction to society. I admire the prison and criminal justice systems in the Nordic countries, and I believe they should be emulated elsewhere in the world.

Having said that, I do understand why convicted killers are sometimes executed. While I don't agree with the death penalty, I do understand why it is sometimes necessary for these executions to take place.

This isn't my issue here. My issue is not that they were executed. Instead, my main concern is that they were very likely sentenced to death on false charges, considering that many human rights organizations and Bahraini lawyers have suggested that the defendants weren't given a fair trial by the state.

Even in Kuwait, a country that happens to be hundreds of times more democratic and free than the rest of the GCC, there have been many instances in which innocent people -- be they Sunnis, Shias, liberals, or conservatives -- were imprisoned for crimes that they didn't commit and were later released with a simple apology and a measly form of compensation.

This is why I don't celebrate these kinds of news stories. I don't want karma to bite me in the back in the future. My fear of seeing loved ones get wrongly convicted is what stops me from celebrating these kinds of events.

You really never know what might happen to you or your loved ones in the future, especially in countries that aren't famous for having just/fair legal systems.

Back
Top Bottom