What's new

Ashraf Ghani's Bodyguard Assassinated

Yousafzai tribe. Ma-sha Allah.

Thank you.

Qiam or Qiyam is Arabic.
Maqsoodi is from Arabic maqsood.
However, some Afghans do use the Maqsoodi form of name. It seems the Dari speakers.

However, some Pashtuns use the name "Gul", which is Persian.

Yes ur right, infact alot of persian is used in pashto. Languages evolve with time and conditions. Pashto is more influnced by farsi and dari west of durand line, while pashto to the east of durand line is more influnced by urdu and turkic words.

Yes ur right, infact alot of persian is used in pashto. Languages evolve with time and conditions. Pashto is more influnced by farsi and dari west of durand line, while pashto to the east of durand line is more influnced by urdu and turkic words.

This is my opinion. It is important to preserve the language. I understand language evolves. But I would not use a word like "aeroplane", if there is "alwateka" in Pashto, or "havapaima" in Persian.

This is my opinion. It is important to preserve the language. I understand language evolves. But I would not use a word like "aeroplane", if there is "alwateka" in Pashto, or "havapaima" in Persian.

I tend to agree to that too, though new specific names are inevitable. Old arabs used to send their kids to villages to learn pure arabic. In today's world it should be responsibility of parents.

I tend to agree to that too, though new specific names are inevitable. Old arabs used to send their kids to villages to learn pure arabic. In today's world it should be responsibility of parents.

Do use the word or term "krriing", meaning crooked, twisted, all on one side?
Our form is "krrung".

Last edited:
Do use the word or term "krriing", meaning crooked, twisted, all on one side?
Our form is "krrung".

Never heard of it, maybe its a dari word. Is it for crooked twisted person? Or u mean an object twisted or on one side? For something titled or twisted on one side we use the word "kog".

Never heard of it, maybe its a dari word. Is it for crooked twisted person? Or u mean an object twisted or on one side? For something titled or twisted on one side we use the word "kog".

https://dsalsrv04.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/raverty_query.py?page=793

We use it for a person. Its Pashto.

Krriingedal is the verb intransitive. To become distorted or crooked.
The verb.n. being krriingedanah or krriingedah.

Krriingawul is the verb transitive. To make crooked or twist.
Krriingawunah being the verb.n.

https://dsalsrv04.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/raverty_query.py?page=794

There is another term we use "kagey".
Plural for "twisted, crooked, bent." We use it sometimes for someone's ears that are bent or crooked.

https://dsalsrv04.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/raverty_query.py?page=821

Last edited:
https://dsalsrv04.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/raverty_query.py?page=793

We use it for a person. Its Pashto.

Krriingedal is the verb intransitive. To become distorted or crooked.
The verb.n. being krriingedanah or krriingedah.

Krriingawul is the verb transitive. To make crooked or twist.
Krriingawunah being the verb.n.

https://dsalsrv04.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/raverty_query.py?page=794

There is another term we use "kagey".
Plural for "twisted, crooked, bent." We use it sometimes for someone's ears that are bent or crooked.

https://dsalsrv04.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/raverty_query.py?page=821

I need to study this in my free time... I never heard Krringawul before, but I have heard "Kog" or "Kag" before... For example "di aghay ghawgh kag da" his ear is crooked. How would you use "Krringawul" in a sentence, it sounds awkward...

I need to study this in my free time... I never heard Krringawul before, but I have heard "Kog" or "Kag" before... For example "di aghay ghawgh kag da" his ear is crooked. How would you use "Krringawul" in a sentence, it sounds awkward...

"Di aghay ghawgh krring (krrung) da".
This is because "kag" and "krring" are both adjectives.

Interesting... is kriing a purer form of Pashto? it seems like kag is more similar to Farsi "Kaj" or "Kajaki", this is the first time I am hearing kriing.

I think it is. If I have time I will try to find its origin.

No worries. Thank you.

Also did you know, when we pronounce the days of the week... Apparently we in Afghanistan are saying it in Farsi whereas the Pakistanis are saying it Pashto e.g. Atwar (sunday) Gola (Monday) Nah (Tuesday) shror (wednsday)

Yak shanbe (sunday) du shanbe (monday) Say shanbe (tuesday) char shanbe (wednesday) is in actuality farsi.

Also did you know, when we pronounce the days of the week... Apparently we in Afghanistan are saying it in Farsi whereas the Pakistanis are saying it Pashto e.g. Atwar (sunday) Gola (Monday) Nah (Tuesday) shror (wednsday)

Yak shanbe (sunday) du shanbe (monday) Say shanbe (tuesday) char shanbe (wednesday) is in actuality farsi.

Gul.
Nehi.
Shoro.
Ziarat.
Jummah.
Khaali.
Itwar (itbar).

Yek Shambe.
Do shambe.
Se shambe.
Chahar shambe.
Panj shambe.
Jumma. Adinah.
Shambe.

True. Its Farsi.

No worries.

Have you interacted with a lot of Pashtuns from different tribes? What do you think of the differences in Pashto between them?

. Have you interacted with a lot of Pashtuns from different tribes? What do you think of the differences in Pashto between them?

I've interacted with Durranis (my tribe) Yusufzai and Afridis, I found Afridi pashto to be the most challenging, but it is understandable.

But I believe their Pashto is much purer, my theory behind this is that the Afghan kings from the times of Ahmad Shah, Timur, Zaman, Dost Mohammad all the way down to Zahir Shah all spoke Farsi at court, which is why our Pashto is more closely akin to Farsi, and those that border Punjab, their Pashto is much more closer to Urdu, and the Pashtuns in the middle, Waziristan, Swat, their Pashto was for the most part preserved.

I've interacted with Durranis (my tribe) Yusufzai and Afridis, I found Afridi pashto to be the most challenging, but it is understandable.

But I believe their Pashto is much purer, my theory behind this is that the Afghan kings from the times of Ahmad Shah, Timur, Zaman, Dost Mohammad all the way down to Zahir Shah all spoke Farsi at court, which is why our Pashto is more closely akin to Farsi, and those that border Punjab, their Pashto is much more closer to Urdu, and the Pashtuns in the middle, Waziristan, Swat, their Pashto was for the most part preserved.

I agree with you. There is really old Pashto terminology. I guess it depends on the family too. Some people try to preserve it more than others. Do you have Pashto names in your family genealogy?

I agree with you. There is really old Pashto terminology. I guess it depends on the family too. Some people try to preserve it more than others. Do you have Pashto names in your family genealogy?

Alizai is my family name, its a funny story that my grandfather (may he rest in peace) told me when I was younger, my ancestor I forgot what his name was from the Durrani tribe accompanied Dost Mohammad Khan Barakzai to Kabul, but after Dost Mohammad was successful, he then executed my ancestor for fear that his power would grow more, his kids however were pardoned and they thereafter settled in Kabul. I don't know how much this story is true, but I take it with a grain of salt today.

Back
Top Bottom