What's new

Aselpod on Jf17 spotted

Pakistan placed two similar orders of 8 pods in each order. Now if any new I don't know

Pakistan placed two similar orders of 8 pods in each order. Now if any new I don't know

It’s was 8 pods plus integration for about 24 million and second order was claimed to be for 16 pods for ~25 million so total 24

I think depending on the jf fleet size 1/4 - 1/3 number of pods will be required

Aselpod has successfully completed weapons targeting trials on JF-17 in June, 2017.
guzelik6.jpg

Aselpod has successfully completed weapons targeting trials on JF-17 in June, 2017.
View attachment 487794

Are there more clear pics available ??

Per initial news available pac was responsible for developing the pylons i.e alternate mission equipment

this is center station and may be another version for new under intake station on block 3 ?? And future upgrade on older blocks

Expect about 40-50 pods for jf fleet may be more

Latest variant L-15 B for ground attack has now more stations expect block iii Jf to follow same pattern for total of 10-11 stations, 2 new under wing plus one or two under intake, same 9.48 meters wing span for both jf and L15

IMG_0559.JPG

View attachment 490162

Last edited:
Latest variant L-15 B for ground attack has now more stations expect block iii Jf to follow same pattern for total of 10-11 stations, 2 new under wing plus one or two under intake, same 9.48 meters wing span for both jf and L15

View attachment 490161

View attachment 490162
@Oscar I was thinking (re: the Ground Attack JF-17 idea), is a conventional AESA radar necessary? Yes there's the A2A aspect, but for BVRAAM engagement, can't they use AEW&C to provide AAM guidance?

How about taking the KLJ-7v1 out and swapping it out for a electro-optical targeting system (EOTS)? This way we free additional hardpoints for ordnance (instead of using a pod for a targeting pod).

Alternatively, swap the KLJ-7 with an AESA-based ground-attack optimized radar - i.e. more devoted to SAR/GMTI with a MMW system?

@Oscar I was thinking (re: the Ground Attack JF-17 idea), is a conventional AESA radar necessary? Yes there's the A2A aspect, but for BVRAAM engagement, can't they use AEW&C to provide AAM guidance?

How about taking the KLJ-7v1 out and swapping it out for a electro-optical targeting system (EOTS)? This way we free additional hardpoints for ordnance (instead of using a pod for a targeting pod).

Alternatively, swap the KLJ-7 with an AESA-based ground-attack optimized radar - i.e. more devoted to SAR/GMTI with a MMW system?
Anything off board is off board. A fighter needs systems to guide its weapons, even a datalink as robust as link-17 can be jammed and in that case you have a defenseless aircraft in the a2a scenario.
AESA isnt air to air or air to ground specific. The adabtibility of esa systems is that it all ends up depending upon the software and power of the dsp on what mode to use.
You can have a SAR running while you are scanning the air, or focus on ground targets while still running a LPI search for air targets.
So optimization of AESA either A2G or A2A isnt as such the issue as much is self reliance or cost reduction.
Even with the old KLJ, you aren’t really sacrificing a2g as it is a fairly capable radar in that frame as well.
Targeting pods arent always available for the A-10 community so they tend to use weapons seekers to sometimes guide and target directly.

A hypothetical but impractical solution could be to have swap capabilities from the cockpit forward or near the radome. A plug and play module that either takes a AESA or a targeting module with laser rangefinder/designator and flir. Something that can be changed on the flightline.
However it would end up being a compromise to both structure and aerodynamics.

Back
Top Bottom