What's new

Are India's Railway engines indigenous?

What's the harm in developing the technology? Once developed we also need to keep improving it.
Dude we dont have enough money to fund for the Kaveri and other critical projects and you are talking to fund Bullet train technology which we wont use for atleast 20 years??
why not invest in critical technology areas?
We are already doing that,Making a nuclear reactor,aircraft carrier and ssubmarines is not child's play and are very critical techs.Only 5 or 6 nations can do that on earth.We are investing in all critical areas

And bullet train tech is not some critical tech lmao.It will take only 1 0r 2 year to devlop this thing.
It is a simple tech which is not economically feasible in a country like India.In other words common man in India cant afford this.

Last edited:
Any doubts??

China is a good example.They license produced many foreign HSR trainsets -Shinkansens,Alstom,Bombardier,Siemens ones &got technology of Traction motors,pantographs,transformers from companies like Hitachi,Mitsubishi,Alstom etc.With those,they developed their own HSR trainsets.

Any doubts??

Yes. WAP 4 uses a Hitachi traction motor and WP5 uses a traction motor by a Swiss company. If bullet train technology is as simple as you make it sound why don't we use our own indigenous traction motors?

The below is from WAP-5 Wikipedia entry

"Some of the units homed at Vadodara shed have air-conditioning. The production had been paused for a long time due to a indigenous replacement of the Hurth coupling. But now the production has resumed with the indigenous replacement."

So we purchase engines from abroad, replace a few components and then call it indigenous? I believe Sukhoi aircraft in India uses avionics developed by the HAL. That doesn't make the aircraft indigenous, does it? Also, one other question that I asked previously remains unanswered. There was a talk of using the Kaveri engine for our railways. What engines are we using currently?

Note: I'm not challenging anyone's claims. Just trying to understand the situation and learn.

Last edited:
IF you think that we are purghasing from other countries,then give me links about it.

I just shared an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry for WAP 5. Those engines were purchased from a Swiss company in 1995 according to the Wikipedia entry. I can't post the link due to restrictions (new user).

I just shared an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry for WAP 5. Those engines were purchased from a Swiss company in 1995 according to the Wikipedia entry. I can't post the link due to restrictions (new user).

Sorry,

But, Now i am getting the feeling that you just joined to troll.

Thats just for WAP 5,what about other engines we have devloped??

Thats just for WAP 5,what about other engines we have devloped??

An earlier poster tells me Bullet train technology isn't complex and India can develop it in 1-2 years. But we can't develop traction motors for WAP-4 and WAP-5 which was developed decades ago abroad?

I joined to enlighten people about the latest findings regarding the AIT Ancient Man and His First Civilizations.Proving Aryan Invasion Theory is a myth and severe lie | Page 4

Why do resort to name calling and get personal? Just answer the question instead.

So I was true . You TROLL............

No need to waste your time, he is a troll..........

IIT bombay gave one engine design They suggest some aerodynamic improvement in engine shape. they said that the engines which runs at 160 KMPH will run at 200 KMPH and will save 3.5 crore electricity every year. How can you expect indian railway to implement it?

So, if you caste doubts on gems like 'Bullet train technology is not very complex and India can develop the technology in 1-2 years' you're declared a troll. Not surprising though!

IIT bombay gave one engine design They suggest some aerodynamic improvement in engine shape. they said that the engines which runs at 160 KMPH will run at 200 KMPH and will save 3.5 crore electricity every year. How can you expect indian railway to implement it?

They didn't implement it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom