What's new

Why India's Bullet Train Project is So Slow

It is anything but slow, its speed has been remarkable ever since construction started. But since its coming from B1M, one can ignore it for good.

but why are you trying so hard for so long to build one now?
Maybe you should ask those people who are trying to build it.

Only fools believe HSR is only worth the passanger tickets value, China cares more about the massive economic benefits they bring to the local provinces, cities and supply chain, these benefits are worth millions of times than the tickets revenue.
It's ok. I understand your need to do Bullet Train Evangelism, because you have a hell lot of them. But no thanks. We don't need them. We have other priorities. We are not rich like China.

No wonder short sighted India can never have meaningful long term development. they can never see anywhere beyond their nose tip.
There is absolutely no link between Bullet Trains and economic development. A rich country may have them, but it is an outcome of wealth, not a cause of it.

India needs bullet trains but not "nationwide" bullet trains if you know what I mean
Not just India I think most of the world should follow this strategy of 160 kmph plus trains for big distances and bullet trains for interconnected, economically vibrant cities

Like Mumbai to pune or Chennai to begaluru makes more sense than Mumbai to Delhi
Or for US Boston to NYC to Philadelphia and Washington
Or LA to San Francisco
Texas triangle makes more sense than connecting east coast with west coast through bullet trains

Or for Pakistan connecting peshawar valley
or Lahore & Golden triangle of Punjab makes more sense than connecting Lahore and karachi through bullet train

Last edited:
India needs bullet trains but not "nationwide" bullet trains if you know what I mean
Not just India I think most of the world should follow this strategy of 160 plus trains for big distances and bullet trains for interconnected, economically vibrant cities

Like Mumbai to pune or Chennai to begaluru makes more sense than Mumbai to Delhi
Or for US Boston to NYC to Philadelphia and Washington
Or LA to San Francisco
Texas triangle makes more sense than connecting east coast with west coast through bullet trains

Or for Pakistan connecting peshawar valley
or Lahore & Golden triangle of Punjab makes more sense than connecting Lahore and karachi through bullet train

I am not against HSR as a means of transport, but only against:

1. Showcasing it as some kind of magic bullet solution for our transport problems
  2. Pretending that it will transform Indian economy
  3. Pretending that we desperately need it
  4. Using a few stretches as proof that we have arrived in the world

India's rail network is already very dense. Major stations, which these trains are supposed to connect are already choked at peak hours with traffic movement. HSR trains will either wait for their turn when they enter the city, or they will be prioritised and cause ordinary trains to be delayed. You can construct new stations in outskirts, but in Indian cities it takes minimum 1 hr to exit or enter any city. So that defeats the purpose too. Lastly I just don't trust safety practices in India. When there is shortage of manpower, we end up hiring people no one would touch with a barge pole. The safety culture in India is very poor and rests on the shoulders of a tiny zealous minority who double check and triple check the work of irresponsible juniors.

These are the kind of assholes we have to deal with 👇

Last edited:
Maybe you should ask those people who are trying to build it.
It's your government trying to build it, that's why I asked you since you said your country doesn't need it, I don't know who to believe, you or your government.

It's your government trying to build it, that's why I asked you since you said your country doesn't need it, I don't know who to believe, you or your government.
I don't have to agree with everything my government does.

Back
Top Bottom