What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Sometimes, Beating is like heaven-sent. If this guy was a soldier in Army, Most probably, He will face a hell torture as a punishment.
11251020_1612677448943939_1109757888_n.jpg

After this move, It seems Otokar engineers strongly warned this guy so He introduces himself as first person who received a warning in IDEF.

I don't know If human weight effects it much but In order to increase first round hitting probability, Aselsan develops reference collimator system (next to his hand on gun) which is correcting fire control system, when muzzle is bending due to heat or other factors but Some childs are swinging under the gun to do buffoonery.

Last edited:
Sometimes, Beating is like heaven-sent. If this guy was a soldier in Army, Most probably, He will face a hell torture as a punishment.

After this move, It seems Otokar engineers strongly warned this guy so He introduces himself as first person who received a warning in IDEF.

I don't know If human weight effects it much but In order to increase first round hitting probability, Aselsan develops reference collimator system (next to his hand on gun) which is correcting fire control system, when muzzle is bending due to heat or other factors but Some childs are swinging under the gun to do buffoonery.

Oh please it is a tank ffs.

If it can take the force of a shell going through it, I'm pretty sure it can also handle the weight of a human. Don't worry about it.

His weight will bend the muzzle about 7-8 % more compared to the bending of muzzle due to its weight for static based calculation also 15% higher stress on tip moreover, in that amount the material stays in elastic region ,so just a person swinging on the tip wont give a permanent deformation. The control system is located in the most probably for dynamic structural effects like vibration .

I think he is warned for ethical reasons , also in past idef in 2013 i saw a guy trying to hang on T-129's propeller , he was warned. Later i checked it out and i have concluded that , propeller can stand in the case the chopper hanged on tips of each pal.

Last edited:
I think he is warned for ethical reasons , also in past idef in 2013 i saw a guy trying to hang on T-129's propeller , he was warned. Later i checked it out and i have concluded that , propeller can stand in the case the chooper hanged on tip of it.

Helicopter rotors are made, in simple terms, to ''pick up the weight' of the helicopter; so I doubt a guy hanging is going to cause plastic deformation....

His weight will bend the muzzle about 7-8 % more compared to the bending of muzzle due to its weight for static based calculation moreover, in that amount the material stays in elastic region ,so just a person swinging on the tip wont give a permanent deformation. The control system is located in the most probably for dynamic structural effects like vibration .

I think he is warned for ethical reasons , also in past idef in 2013 i saw a guy trying to hang on T-129's propeller , he was warned. Later i checked it out and i have concluded that , propeller can stand in the case the chooper hanged on tip of it.

I really doubt 75 kg would be enough for a permanent deformation on anywhere of a tank. But hey, you are the pro here...

Edit: That's what you said. Sorry, I misread it.

Last edited:
Turkish military electronics giant Aselsan has unveiled a new active protection system, dubbed AKKOR (short for Aktif Koruma) at the IDEF’15 international defense fair in Istanbul. The system is intended primarily to provide Turkey’s indigenous Altay tanks with a hard-kill self defense capability, but it can also be used aboard AIFVs, APCs and other armored vehicles.

AKKOR features an impressive reaction time of only 1/15th of a second, allowing it to effectively defend the host platform against rockets and missiles fired from a distance as close as 50 meters (164 feet). It consists of three main components: a central processing unit that functions as the brain of the whole system, four M-band radar sensors and, typically, two projectile launchers capable of firing four smart interceptors. Each radar sensor continuously scans a 100-degree arc, creating a full 360 degree detection capability with some overlap. AKKOR’s radar plates, in their current configuration, can detect incoming threats with an elevation of up to 75 degrees, but vehicles can be integrated with an additional sensor on the roof as well for protection against top-attack missiles such as the Javelin.

What sets AKKOR apart from its competition is its smart interceptor. Most other hard-kill active protection systems detect an incoming threat, calculate its trajectory, find out when it will arrive at a certain point in space, and then fire a bunch of projectiles, typically steel balls (like a shotgun pellets), toward that general direction hoping that at least one of the steel balls will hit the threat and destroy it before it can make contact with the host platform. This technique, while simple and efficient, doesn’t protect against the newer generation, variable-velocity rockets and missiles that are designed to trick an active protection system into firing too early or too late, and consequently missing.

AKKOR, on the other hand, goes one step further. First, just like a legacy active protection system, it detects a threat, calculates its trajectory and aims towards a point in its path to intercept it — within a deviation allowance of less than 1 degree. Then, instead of firing a swarm of steel balls like its competition, AKKOR launches a single smart interceptor with its own on-board sensor, jointly developed by TUBITAK SAGE, and a high explosive warhead. Once activated, the interceptor continuously measures the distance between itself and the incoming threat during its short flight, detonates the high explosive warhead when it determines that it’s closest to the threat and effectively destroys it, all within the span of about one to two seconds. This method ensures the highest hit probability and effectiveness against both older and the newest generation anti-tank rockets and missiles.

“We’ve begun AKKOR’s development back in 2008 and successfully demonstrated the core technology behind it in a prototype back in 2010.” an Aselsan engineer explained at IDEF’15. “At the time, AKKOR proved effective against a HAR-55 projectile, also known as the M72 LAW.”

Aselsan aims to finish the development of the AKKOR system in time to field it aboard Turkey’s Altay main battle tanks and other armored vehicles. A lighter version, dubbed AKKOR Lite, and a naval version, AKKOR Naval, are being designed for use aboard lighter vehicles and by the navy respectively.

Aselsan hopes to sign a contract in the second half of 2015 with Turkey’s Undersecretariat for Defense Industries, the SSM, for further field tests. Serial production is expected to start in 2017 so that the system be can made available for the country’s first batch of 250 Altay main battle tanks.

Short URL: Aselsan Reveals AKKOR Active Protection System for Armored Vehicles | TR Defence

AKKOR, on the other hand, goes one step further. First, just like a legacy active protection system, it detects a threat, calculates its trajectory and aims towards a point in its path to intercept it — within a deviation allowance of less than 1 degree. Then, instead of firing a swarm of steel balls like its competition, AKKOR launches a single smart interceptor with its own on-board sensor, jointly developed by TUBITAK SAGE, and a high explosive warhead. Once activated, the interceptor continuously measures the distance between itself and the incoming threat during its short flight, detonates the high explosive warhead when it determines that it’s closest to the threat and effectively destroys it, all within the span of about one to two seconds. This method ensures the highest hit probability and effectiveness against both older and the newest generation anti-tank rockets and missiles.
That has advanced the field of active protection to a whole new level. Congratulations to Turkey and it's scientists.

Back
Top Bottom