What's new

A Third Pakistan?

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I was doing something usual reading, and while I came across the topic of the partition of India I found something that struck me.

The source suggested there was suppose to be a "Third Pakistan". That's right three different Pakistan's after the partition of India.

Two that we all are familiar with, West Pakistan (Modern day Pakistan) and East Pakistan (Bangladesh)...But I came across some information that suggested that the Hyderabad plateau in Southern India could have possibly become the "Third Pakistan" or "South Pakistan".

It is because of the considerable Muslim population there at the time, I don't know about the Muslim population there today, but there seemed to be plans to carve out the Hyderabad area/province and establish it as the "Third Pakistan" or "South Pakistan".

If anyone has good information please bring it forward, I would like to learn more about this very interesting subject.

Today there is a faction called the Royal State of Hyderabad fighting for a Muslim controlled independent province or small state in India. There flag has the Crescent Moon & Star on it as well, which resembles the Pakistani flag and suggest their Muslim loyalties or identity...

0de417cf4a461a77642b7be17d1626f2.png

The leader of the Razakars or Royal Forces of Hyderabad led by Qasim Rasvi has been open about his fondness for Pakistan (1948). It was in 1948, a year after the partition, the Indian operation, Operation Polo, fought the independence struggle of Muslim Hyderabad (or Possible South Pakistan) and annexed it in 1948...

Last edited:
This had nothing to do with Pakistan. The 'State of Hyderabad' under Osmaan Ali Khan only had 'Moral' support from Pakistan.

Read 'Operation Polo' for further details ...

The 1948 Invasion of Hyderabad, also termed as "Hyderabad Police Action" and code-named "Operation Polo" by the Indian military was the Indian armed forces action that ended the rule of the Nizam of Hyderabad and led to the incorporation of the princely state of Hyderabad in Southern India, into the Indian Union.

The military operation was carried out because the State of Hyderabad under Osman Ali Khan, Asif Jah VII, decided to remain independent after the partition of India. Wary of a Muslim ruled state right in the middle of India, Deputy Prime Minister Sardar Patel decided to annex the state of Hyderabad. Though backed by Qasim Razvi's armed militias, known as Razakars, and a distant moral support of Pakistan, the Hyderabad State Forces were defeated by the Armed Forces of India within five days.

At that time, Hyderabad state had some 17 polo grounds, the largest number in India, hence the name "Operation Polo".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Polo

Last edited:
This had nothing to do with Pakistan. The 'State of Hyderabad' under Osmaan Ali Khan only had 'Moral' support from Pakistan.

Read 'Operation Polo' for further details ...

Operation Polo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is more to it than Operation Polo, there were critical events that unfolded before Operation Polo was in progress. I recommend a further analysis and further reading into this very interesting subject.

To suggest "it had nothing to do with Pakistan" may seem correct to some or on the surface level of history, personally I think it's naive, but there is perhaps information we don't know and that I would like to explore and learn more about.

"After the British Raj (1947-48)

When India gained independence in 1947, the British, left the choice of independence or unification up to the local rulers of the princely states. The Muslim ruler of Hyderbad, the last Nizam, wished to remain independent. First he tried to declare Hyderabad as a part of Pakistan but the British government did not allow this. Later in the same year, he announced his intention to become independent."

Here is more about the "Nizams" who ruled in Hyderabad, India. The source describes their cultural and religious affiliation which is also compatible with Pakistan's.

"The Nizams patronized Islamic art, culture and literature and had a railway system called "The Nizam's Government State Railways". Sharia-The Islamic Religious Law Code, was the guiding principle of the Nizams' official machinery."

Source: Hyderabad State

"The state only had a 10 to 12% muslim population."-Fateh71

Whether this is true or not, I am not sure but it is quite possible that by creating a South Pakistan would allow the Muslims in Central & South India who could not walk to West or East Pakistan due to the long distance give them a "South Pakistan" to abide in (1947-48), a small Muslim state that legally and stately identified itself with the 'Tri-part state' of Pakistan...So it would have been convenient with the partition plans as well.

The state of Hyderabad was split up between Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Karnataka under the Indian state reorganisation Act. And the muslim population is just below 12% so no chance of becoming a third pakistan. Now its know as the capital of Andhra pradesh or IT hub of India.

A country is all about the people in it - not its boundaries. Hyderabad did not have a muslim population to sustain a third Pakistan. There may have been some enclave towns, but these are different from the vast state that Hyderabad was.

The Hyderabadi rulers for all purposes were elitists. They had foreign troops , foreign generals, foreign wives and were out of touch with reality - and they let extremist elements like Kasim Rizvi (Who migrated to Pakistan after release) dictate public policy.

"The state only had a 10 to 12% muslim population."-Fateh71

Whether this is true or not, I am not sure but it is quite possible that by creating a South Pakistan would allow the Muslims in Central & South India who could not walk to West or East Pakistan due to the long distance give them a "South Pakistan" to abide in (1947-48), a small Muslim state that legally and stately identified itself with the 'Tri-part state' of Pakistan...So it would have been convenient with the partition plans as well.

Possible, but not possible as per June plan because the princely state had no boundary connecting East or West Pakistan.

I would start by saying... good PR. just Kautilyan strategy :P(I honestly think this)

Above all the resolve for national unity.

The Hyderabad state delayed getting recognition from UN and establishing relations with other countries. In fact only Indian leaders have this kind of wisdom then. Even Pakistan did blunders in subjects like this as late as in 1971(though different reasons created the same state then).

Indian leaders were interested in only one thing... national unity.
Their resolve is what saved India from Balkanization to a large extent. With just two fragments we are facing what we are now. Imagine hundreds of countries fighting over petty things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom