What's new

A Knockoff, Made-in-China Phone Electrocuted and Killed a Man

IFB

Reaction score
Country
India
In a horrifically sad story, Dhanji Damor, a 25-year-old man in India, was electrocuted when he used a "shanzai cell phone" while it was charging. Shanzai means it's a knockoff, an imitation, a fake made in China

Gadgets - WSJ.com: A Knockoff, Made-in-China Phone Electrocute…

Original article :

In a horrifically sad story, Dhanji Damor, a 25-year-old man in India, was electrocuted when he used a "shanzai cell phone" while it was charging. Shanzai means it's a knockoff, an imitation, a fake made in China.

Damor's friends rushed him to the hospital but when they arrived, doctors pronounced him dead due to electrocution. This isn't even the first time a poorly made, knockoff phone has killed someone in India. Back in 2010, a woman was killed due to a similar incident of using a made-in-China phone while it was charging.

The market of cheap imitation goods from China is incredibly hard to police, so this might not even be the last death. It's just not worth it. Even if a phone, an iPod, an anything looks the same, works the same and only costs pennies on the dollars, there's a reason for that. It's poorly made and downright dangerous. Don't fall for it.

I have seen a supermarket in a nearby town selling this phone :eek:

@ mods I think this belongs here if not please move it to the relevant section thanks.

Even if a phone, an iPod, an anything looks the same, works the same and only costs pennies on the dollars, there's a reason for that. It's poorly made and downright dangerous. Don't fall for it.

Thats the point which need to be understand :) What legal action can be taken by the relatives of poor guy?

Thats the point which need to be understand :) What legal action can be taken by the relatives of poor guy?

I am 99% sure no compensation, no case nothing will happen....this is india you know.

I had a iPhone 4 64G Chinese made... It rocked with dual sim and other stuff... Broke it, in anger, after 7 months (On 13th July 2011 :P)

I had a iPhone 4 64G Chinese made... It rocked with dual sim and other stuff... Broke it, in anger, after 7 months (On 13th July 2011 :P)
why broke phone in anger lol you should stay away from expensive phones when you are in anger..

One day my laptop caught fire due to a Chinese battery, when I was asleep. Half of my room was burdened. I myself had some minor burn injuries.

After that I never bought Chinese stuff regarding electronics.

:no: the man should have checked his faulty power lines before plugging it in

Back
Top Bottom