What's new

63 Years On, India is Home to World's Biggest Population of Poor, Hungry, Illiterate

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In today's Times of India piece titled "Our freedom was born with hunger, we're still not free", one of India's Green Revolution leaders Monkombu Sambasivan Swaminathan says, "Our freedom was born with hunger. It was born in the backdrop of the Bengal famine. If you read the newspapers dated August 15, 1947, one part was about freedom, the other was food shortage".

As India celebrates its 63rd independence anniversary today, it is very unfortunate that economically resurgent India still remains home to the world's largest population of poor, hungry and illiterate people. Tragically, hunger remains India's biggest problem, with an estimated 7000 Indians dying of hunger every single day. Over 200 million Indians will go to bed hungry tonight, as they do every night, according to Bhookh.com. Along with chronic hunger, poverty and illiteracy also continue to blight the lives of hundreds of millions of Indians on a daily basis.

India ranks 66th on the 2008 Global Hunger Index of 88 countries while Pakistan is slightly better at 61 and Bangladesh slightly worse at 70. Though the problems of poverty and hunger in Pakistan are a bit less serious than in India, Pakistan also suffers from high illiteracy and low levels of human development that pose a serious threat to its future.

India has the dubious distinction of being among the top ten on two very different lists: It ranks at the top of the nations of the world with its 270 million illiterate adults, the largest in the world, as detailed by a just released UNESCO report on education; India also shows up at number four in military spending in terms of purchasing power parity, behind United States, China and Russia.

Not only is India the lowest among BRIC nations in terms of human development, India is also the only country among the top ten military spenders which, at 134 on a list of 182 nations, ranks near the bottom of the UNDP's human development rankings. Pakistan, at 141, ranks even lower than India.

India also fares badly on the 2009 World Hunger Index, ranking at 65 along with several sub-Saharan nations. Pakistan ranks at 58 on the same index.

A recent Oxford study on multi-dimensional poverty confirmed that Indians are far more deprived than Pakistanis and the poorest of the poor Africans. The study reveals that there are more "MPI poor" people in eight Indian states (421 million in Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh , Orissa, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, and West Bengal) than in the 26 poorest African countries combined (410 million).

Developed at Oxford University, the Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) goes beyond income poverty based on $1.25 or $2 a day income levels. It measures a range of "deprivations" at household levels, such as schooling, nutrition, and access to health, clean water, electricity and sanitation. According to Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI) country briefings 2010, 55% of Indians and 51% of Pakistanis are poor.

Access to healhcare in South Asia, particularly due to the wide gender gap, presents a huge challenge, and it requires greater focus to ensure improvement in human resources. Though the life expectancy has increased to 66.2 years in Pakistan and 63.4 years in India, it is still low relative to the rest of the world. The infant mortality rate remains stubbornly high, particular in Pakistan, though it has come down down from 76 per 1000 live births in 2003 to 65 in 2009. With 320 mothers dying per 100,000 live births in Pakistan and 450 in India, the maternal mortality rate in South Asia is very high, according to UNICEF.

The health problems in India are compounded by serious lack of sanitation. According to a joint study conducted by the World Health Organization and UNICEF, 665 million Indians, or nearly two-thirds of them defecate in the open. While a mere 14 percent of people in rural areas of the country - that account for 65 percent of its 1.1 billion population - had access to toilets in 1990, the number had gone up to 28 percent in 2006. In comparison, 33 percent rural Pakistanis had access to toilets in 1990 and it went up to an impressive 58 percent in 2006, according to UNICEF officials.

The reality of grinding poverty in resurgent India was recently summed up well by a BBC commentator Soutik Biswas as follows:

A sobering thought to keep in mind though. Impressive growth figures are unlikely to stun the poor into mindless optimism about their future. India has long been used to illustrate how extensive poverty coexists with growth. It has a shabby record in pulling people out of poverty - in the last two decades the number of absolutely poor in India has declined by 17 percentage points compared to China, which brought down its absolutely poor by some 45 percentage points. The number of Indian billionaires rose from nine in 2004 to 40 in 2007, says Forbes magazine. That's higher than Japan which had 24, while France and Italy had 14 billionaires each. When one of the world's highest number of billionaires coexist with what one economist calls the world's "largest number of homeless, ill-fed illiterates", something is gravely wrong. This is what rankles many in this happy season of positive thinking.

As India and Pakistan celebrate their 63rd independence day, it is time for both major South Asian nations to reflect and act on the urgent need for careful balancing of their genuine defense requirements against the need to spend more to solve the very serious problems of food, education, health care and human resource development for securing a better future of their peoples.

Haq's Musings: 63 Years After Independence, India Remains Home to World's Largest Population of Poor, Hungry and Illiterates

A little disappointed after seeing Riaz's post here.

Looking at the starting post of the below thread, I had hoped that Riaz will be moving out of his negative mind set, specially when the even today, despite the pathetic situation Pakistan is in, economically, diplomatically and socially, he categorized Pakistan's glass as half full.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/curren...f-full-63rd-independence-day.html#post1067508

I expected a similar view on Indian side as well, but from Riaz's perspective, it seems India doesnt even have a glass, forget half or full. ;)

it is very unfortunate that economically resurgent India still remains home to the world's largest population of poor, hungry and illiterate people. Tragically,
hunger remains India's biggest problem, with an estimated 7000 Indians dying of hunger every single day. Over 200 million Indians will go to bed hungry tonight, as they do every night, according to Bhookh.com. Along with chronic hunger, poverty and illiteracy also continue to blight the lives of hundreds of millions of Indians on a daily basis.

Half full or half empty -- either way, it is a truth - Why Indians on this forum should be so defensive about the truth is beyond me.

Are you working to correct the situation? Yes they answer, but this is a self serving idea, after all, if indeed this was a priority, would the situation continue as it has?

But we digress from the Mantra of Everything is Golden in India and it just can't seem to stop blinding the world with that SHINE (a euphemism for less than the truth)

News Flash for Indians in America: India has her share of problems -- Well so do a lot of others (Pakistan included) - but then unlike Indian, they are not into imagining that they can hide from these problems or that non-Indian ought not comment on them, after all Indian comment on problems others face - and why not?

it is very unfortunate that economically resurgent India still remains home to the world's largest population of poor, hungry and illiterate people. Tragically,

Half full or half empty -- either way, it is a truth - Why Indians on this forum should be so defensive about the truth is beyond me.

Are you working to correct the situation? Yes they answer, but this is a self serving idea, after all, if indeed this was a priority, would the situation continue as it has?

But we digress from the Mantra of Everything is Golden in India and it just can't seem to stop blinding the world with that SHINE (a euphemism for less than the truth)

News Flash for Indians in America: India has her share of problems -- Well so do a lot of others (Pakistan included) - but then unlike Indian, they are not into imagining that they can hide from these problems or that non-Indian ought not comment on them, after all Indian comment on problems others face - and why not?

Sir,

I cant speak for anyone other than me...

For me,I am not defensive.

I accpet that India is not the land of milk and honey (not yet) and we have our fair share of problems in sanitation,poverty,malnutrition etc.

But on the other side of the coin,u guys have to look at the bigger picture and the positive points (which r in plenty)....

A nation that had to pawn its gold to the Bank OF England in 1991 to pay for its import bills,a nation that had abt 23% literacy rate, a nation that had to import its food grains, a nation that had abt 10 million mobile users in 1990 - today has come to this level where we have abt 300 billion forex reserves,4 or 5 th largest gold holding nation,export food grains and almost 550 million mobile users with a 65% literacy rate.

Think at the growth that has taken place.We have not reached the destination yet but I can say with the fullest confidence that we r moving in the right direction at a good pace.

Thats wat matters...U may not be there now but u will be there in some time if ur fundamentals are strong..and for India it is.

:cheers:

Karthic

I genuinely think that most people on the forum, RESPECT, the growth India has CREATED -- the other side of the coin is, well as above.

If I was crafting a position with regard to the issue, I would highlight the size of the problem, the scope of the ambition and I would frame it in conscience.

In other words, I would no tbe saying look how far we have come, rather it would be this is the distance that we have to travel, and we have to do so, not because we are playing some geo-strategic game, but because we think the dignity of India, is the dignity of these least amongst us, that our conscience will not allow this situation to continue.

"We've come a long way" - what's your point? Given the distance that has to be traveresed? Our road is long, and we traverse it because our conscience compels us -

What do these numbers of poor and hungry say about you conscience? That it isn't easy or fast and that it's a tragic shortcoming.

Why does it continue ? Because the numbers increase everyday, for every three steps forward, we have to take a step back - if we don't get a handle on the population, the going will get tougher.

Karthic

I genuinely think that most people on the forum, RESPECT, the growth India has CREATED -- the other side of the coin is, well as above.

If I was crafting a position with regard to the issue, I would highlight the size of the problem, the scope of the ambition and I would frame it in conscience.

In other words, I would no tbe saying look how far we have come, rather it would be this is the distance that we have to travel, and we have to do so, not because we are playing some geo-strategic game, but because we think the dignity of India, is the dignity of these least amongst us, that our conscience will not allow this situation to continue.

"We've come a long way" - what's your point? Given the distance that has to be traveresed? Our road is long, and we traverse it because our conscience compels us -

What do these numbers of poor and hungry say about you conscience? That it isn't easy or fast and that it's a tragic shortcoming.

Why does it continue ? Because the numbers increase everyday, for every three steps forward, we have to take a step back - if we don't get a handle on the population, the going will get tougher.
sir, nobody is hiding all these things. if u come to india, u will see everyone is discussing about this problems only. just go the GOI websites you will find how many schemes has been initiated by GOI and states. the focus is on inclusive growth. see china has started its reforms in 1970. we have started in 1991. so give us one more decade then you will see ur progress for sure. we should appreciate the figures are coming down but at a slower rate. now goi has launched right to education and right of food is on table. we are having visionaries in our ranks..who will definitely help us in long run. we will slowly but surely reap the benefit in future

Karthic

Thank u.....

Sir we r just a young nation (same as u) ,we were looted,stripped of our natural resources for abt 200 years straight by some foreigners (same as u) and I think it is only correct to compare where India was 60 years ago and where it is now.

And yes we have a long long way to go and I personally would like to eradicate the povery than concentrating on weapons (but reality is pushing us).

But hey wats the use in stooping ur head and thinking "heck I have to go a long way".I would rather say "Heck I have come sucessfully this much and I m capable of much more".

We in India have that mindset.So if not in my generation,then in the next gen the problems would be significanlty reduced and so on.

p.s.:Abt getting defensive,I think we get defensive only wen some with a hatred for us intently picks out these problems and wastes their time which they could have spent wisely in thinking abt their home.

:cheers:

Sympathy u can get any time....Jealousy U have to earn...

I see India has earned the jealousy of many...!!!

This is one of the most awesome lines I have heard.. Thank you sir for donating my new signature (hope you dont mind)

Probelms just attract more attention, that's all - You think it is being done intentionally, I really don't this so - athough, the "ungli" factor is a reality -- but I suppose it all depends on how one deals with it.

Poor? Yes, Hungry? Yes, lack of toilets? Yes
These are just reality in developing countries -- in India it shows up dramatically because of the seeming "absurd" numbers, but then look at the "absurd" population numbers.

Could we do better? Yes, possibly -- in other words, you don't make an effort to get people to see the problem in context and in complexity, what are they to think other than think, well these guys are BS artists.

Probelms just attract more attention, that's all - You think it is being done intentionally, I really don't this so - athough, the "ungli" factor is a reality -- but I suppose it all depends on how one deals with it.

Poor? Yes, Hungry? Yes, lack of toilets? Yes
These are just reality in developing countries -- in India it shows up dramatically because of the seeming "absurd" numbers, but then look at the "absurd" population numbers.

Could we do better? Yes, possibly -- in other words, you don't make an effort to get people to see the problem in context and in complexity, what are they to think other than think, well these guys are BS artists.

The bolded parts..bloody true.

The number 300 million poor may sound more than the population of US..but then some forget that here are other 900 million living along with them...

This is one of the most awesome lines I have heard.. Thank you sir for donating my new signature (hope you dont mind)

Ur most welcome. :cheers:

See, that's what I am referring to - instead of dealing with the problem in a forthright manner - you don't get killed in blasts, at least you say, that is to political violence is also something the Indian is innocent of --- See, it's this kind of attempt to not deal with the issue that people, in my opinion, are correct, to bust you on - and I think if you didn't need to pretend that the problems don't exist, you wouldn't feel that these are attempts to antogonize or belittle you.

We hear from Indian interlocutors about a identity crisis -- reading some of your posts I begin to understand that the "not India" has a mirror image "Not Pakistan" - both these are a disservice to discussion and debate.

Issues remain unexamined, no real understanding is arrived at, no one is enriched or better off than before they began reading - just becomes a waste - do think about that.

Back
Top Bottom