What's new

12 Megaprojects to Go Live in Three Months (Bengali Video)

The Singaporean architect was assigned the 'design contract' by JICA who is the main financier of the project.

JICA also assigned the 'build contract' to Mitsubishi, Fujita and Samsung C&T. Design and build are two different things.

'Build' and 'Design' contracts are two separate things, having no relations with each other except execution parameters checked.

As main financier, and with the lack of negotiation from Bangladesh part (CAAB and Civil Aviation uneducated gadhas) - JICA is free to assign contracts to whomever they want and they almost always choose contractors in their own countries (except in this case they assigned a portion to Korean Samsung Construction and Technology who JICA had good relations with).

This type (kisim) of project negotiation is something that would never happen in a country like (for example) India, Malaysia, Indonesia or even Thailand. They always negotiate for including their own-country contractors because they are liable to pay back the loan anyway, like we will eventually.

And also about building subcomponents of projects (like roof false ceiling welded pieces and other architectural components). All of those pieces were sourced from JICA preferred countries like Vietnam or other Asian low cost sources. Those pieces could have easily come from our own in-country suppliers.

Again - the fault of these CAAB and Aviation Ministry Chhagols. These idiots don't know how to negotiate or don't care about keeping the value-addition local. I mean really, we in Bangladesh could not weld together pieces of sheet metal ?? There could have been clauses included in the contract to award that locally - which as usual these uneducated idiots failed to bargain for.

I don't think we can compare Indian and Bangladeshi Greenfield airport situation. Indians have their own mega-financiers (ex: Adani, Ambani and the like who have relationships with very large banks overseas and cheap financing available) and they don't have to run to orgs like JICA. Also they have (with AAI designing their airports) they have enough large project design and build expertise locally being a much larger country and also because they care about keeping things localized. It's only natural.

But JICA's G-to-G financing terms are rather low (and easy payback terms) anyway with lots of leeway so Bangladesh is not a total loser in this regard. Plus Mitsubishi, Fujita, Samsung assigned almost all local subcontractors to save cost, the expertise is gained, not lost. That expertise will be applied when we rebuild CTG, SYL and other smaller airports locally.
  • Navi Mumbai airport is a greenfield airport being built in Mumbai and Adani is building it as a public private partnership for 17000 crore Rupees.
  • Dhaka's 3rd terminal cost 21,000 crore Taka without the runways built at Navi Mumbai. Granted there is a large Tarmac in Dhaka large enough to park 37 aircraft and there is going to be a second runway added (not simultaneous use) to handle the extra traffic.
  • Dhaka will handle a total of 20 Million passengers yearly
  • Navi Mumbai will handle 2.5 times the passengers of Dhaka (55 Million, same as Chhatrapati Shivaji, the existing Mumbai airport)
  • So yes you get 2.5 times the airport for your money in Mumbai compared to Dhaka
  • Part of the extra cost component is because of Japanese construction standards, which may be significantly higher than Indian ones. Now Indian trolls will run here with their panties in a knot. It is what it is.
  • Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) airport build was even more expensive, don't know who were involved. The Thais are famous in Asia in this regard, overspending on projects. Indonesian airports are built using own expertise and no worse than Japanese-build standards (my opinion),
Some links below (most images if not all, are CGI renders). Sane Indian posters are welcome to correct me in anything I said.

You spend so much time on every message you post on this forum. I think posting messages keeps you up all night. In anycase, loved your very informative reply. Thanks:-)

You spend so much time on every message you post on this forum. I think posting messages keeps you up all night. In anycase, loved your very informative reply. Thanks:-)

No no - I hardly spend time on PDF. I can type fast. :-)

One liner posts are considered low value in forum - we should try to educate and inform other posters, that is all. Bad habits from my writing foe newspaper days...

Ghorasal Polash Urea Fertilizer factory, largest fertilizer factory in South Asia, claims Bangladesh Govt.

Probably world's largest

XCMG XLC26000 90 meter 2000 ton Crawler Crane​

@beijingwalker brother this was an epic product that was used for this project.

Last edited:
Ghorasal Polash Urea Fertilizer factory, largest fertilizer factory in South Asia, claims Bangladesh Govt.

Probably world's largest

XCMG XLC26000 90 meter 2000 ton Crawler Crane​

@beijingwalker brother this was an epic product that was used for this project.
In order to increase our agricultural output we need to be self-sufficient in fertilizer production. Our hard working farmers can increase their production if they get fertilizer at a cheaper price. Thanks to Japan and China for Ghorashal Polash Urea Fertilizer factory :-)

Is it possible to reclaim land from the sea? We have land shortage and this can be met by reclaiming land from the sea.

We don't need to - it is an automatic process helped by geology (since we live in one of the largest river deltas of the globe).

reuters.com/article/us-bangladesh-clmate-land-idUSKCN0R90U220150909

We don't need to - it is an automatic process helped by geology (since we live in one of the largest river deltas of the globe).

reuters.com/article/us-bangladesh-clmate-land-idUSKCN0R90U220150909
Thank you for the link, bhai:-)

This type (kisim) of project negotiation is something that would never happen in a country like (for example) India, Malaysia, Indonesia or even Thailand. They always negotiate for including their own-country contractors because they are liable to pay back the loan anyway, like we will eventually.
ভিক্ষার চাল, তা আবার কাঁড়া আর অকাঁড়া।

CAAB people have not acquired that kind of negotiation skills. This is an engineering project, and CAAB must have civil engineers to do the negotiation with JICA. But I understand CAAB has no civil engineering department that has similar experience.

This project should have been regarded as a school/ training opportunity for future projects. But, it is the same as Padma or Jamuna Bridge. BD engineers gained no experience and the govt will as usual seek foreign funds and foreign builders to do future projects.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom