What's new

Pakistan Navy Invites Bids to Procure an ATR 72-500 Aircraft

How many ATR-72s PN will eventually be planning to acquire for MPA and for Transport?

1 for 1 may not be needed. Servicability and capability of ATR v Fokker will be much higher

5 could easily do the job of 7 Fokkers
At the same time though the size of the navy as well as the area of operations has increased as well. Same as in the number of threats as well such as IS and expanded IN

At the same time though the size of the navy as well as the area of operations has increased as well. Same as in the number of threats as well such as IS and expanded IN

No doubt this is true too. However we can safely assume 5 ATR fleet will give us more availability then a 6/7 Fokker fleet.

Also remember 10 Sea Sultans are coming too

1 for 1 may not be needed. Servicability and capability of ATR v Fokker will be much higher

5 could easily do the job of 7 Fokkers
It will be 1 to 1 replacement over next few years. The question ❓ is, will all are be required to be upgraded to sea eagle / Ras72 standards

It will be 1 to 1 replacement over next few years. The question ❓ is, will all are be required to be upgraded to sea eagle / Ras72 standards

Well I think of the 6 Fokkers 2 were transports for SSGN, so maybe that will be the case this time, also means that we can train pilots on non MPA/RAS 72 Airframes and this save the hours on them

Well 5 or 6 ATR plus 10 Sea Sultans really is a massive fleet, very big. Will equal size of Indian P-8 fleet, and it terms of size I think only China, US, Japan and Russia are bigger. It is a surprisingly large number for a coastline as small as Pakistan's, even if we have India to contend with.
10 Sea Sultans is a huge number

10 Sea Sultans is a huge number

Yes, 10 Sultans and 4/5 RAS 72s does seem incredibly large for Pakistan which leads me to think some may have ELINT/SIGINT role or that we intend to deploy some far from our coast.

Essentially and unless you have found a specific target or are facing a very large number of subs/warships, having 2 MPAs up in the air at any one time is more then enough for us in terms of how much they can cover.

With a 14-15 aircraft fleet we can surge to possibly 4 in the air constantly, which seems like a very high number.

Well 5 or 6 ATR plus 10 Sea Sultans really is a massive fleet, very big. Will equal size of Indian P-8 fleet, and it terms of size I think only China, US, Japan and Russia are bigger. It is a surprisingly large number for a coastline as small as Pakistan's, even if we have India to contend with.
Fleet size is not the only parameter, I think the main consideration should be the operational readiness level. India has made a significant leap forward in terms of maritime patrol sorties and flight time by moving to the P-8 platform.

Fleet size is not the only parameter, I think the main consideration should be the operational readiness level. India has made a significant leap forward in terms of maritime patrol sorties and flight time by moving to the P-8 platform.

Sure of course, all our new units will have a high availability rate, that is why I quoted not just fleet size but how many we can resource.

Let me explain

you have 14-15, lets call it 15 planes. In a surge (high tensions with the crazies to the East), things will look like this

15 planes

3 always unavailable due to maintenance

leaves you 12

Each plane in the air needs one getting ready to place it and flying to and from the patrol area and another one the ground, so essentially 3 planes to support 1 in the air and assuming a portion of the fleet in repair, 15 planes can give you 4 in the air at any one time.

The tweet regarding P-8 v TU-142 is meaningless unless we know the total availability and flight ours of the TU-142 fleet. If this was very low over 30 years and they only had a total of 8 planes for actually less then 30 years (1988~2017) then the boring fleet of 10 new modern planes gaining more flight hours is not surprising.

Additionally Angad Singh is quite the bulls**t artist

there were few fokkers used 4 transport and not updated with all gizmos needed for other role

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom