What's new

Zulfikar Ali Bhutto is the reason the state of education in Pakistan is so bad

Solomon2

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
logo.gif
http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/4...the-state-of-education-in-pakistan-is-so-bad/
Zulfikar Ali Bhutto is the reason the state of education in Pakistan is so bad

By Shakir Lakhani Published: November 11, 2016
42719-education-1478606728-692-640x480.jpg

Teachers no longer took their work seriously, knowing that being government employees, they could never be sacked. PHOTO: REUTERS

I recently came across an Urdu newspaper in which the date was stated to be October 32, 2016. Apparently the editor didn’t know that October has only 31 days, and it can’t ever have 32 days, not even if Imran Khan wants it and threatens to lock down the whole world if it is not done. Teachers of English in our schools are not qualified to teach, which is why most Pakistanis routinely add an apostrophe before an “s” even when it is not required.

Education standards have deteriorated drastically. I usually come across such phrases as “his” husband or “her” wife. At such times I wish that the writer would stick to his mother tongueinstead of massacring the English language. One of the aims of a good education is to train students to express themselves (if not in English, at least in their mother language). Unfortunately, that is no longer the case.

It was undoubtedly Zulfikar Ali Bhutto who gave the death blow to quality education in the country. His rampant nationalisation of schools and colleges to provide jobs for his party workers (one of whom became the principal of a school despite not being able to sign his name) ensured that the common man would never be able to provide a decent education for his children. Teachers no longer took their work seriously, knowing that being government employees, they could never be sacked.

A couple of years ago (40 years after the reckless nationalisation of education), I interviewed a graduate of a prestigious business institution of the country. He didn’t even know basic math (including how to calculate percentage increase or decrease in prices). In fact, he could not even do simple addition or subtraction. When I asked him what he would do without a calculator, he said a modern cell phone can also be used as a calculator. I asked him what he’d do if he didn’t have a calculator or a cell phone and needed to do simple calculations like when paying for groceries.

“I’ll ask someone who knows how to do it”, he said.

When I asked him how he was able to get his current job, he smiled and said,

“My father is a senior government officer”.

Way back in 1972, in the first cabinet of Bhutto, the health minister, Sheikh Rasheed, announced that by introducing generic medicines in the country, prices had come down by up to “a 1000%”. And he said this at an international conference outside Pakistan, which made us the laughing stock of the whole world. One foreign reporter asked the minister how prices could be reduced by a 1000%, since a decrease of only 100% in the price of any item would mean that its price would now be zero. I don’t remember how the minister retrieved himself from this awkward situation. Someone should have told him that by reducing the price of something by a 1000%, the pharmacy selling that item would not only have to give it away for free, but would also have to pay Rs900 to the buyer.

So, even before Bhutto nationalised schools and colleges to provide jobs for his party activists, quality education was not available in some government schools (like the one in which Sheikh Rasheed studied and passed his matric exam). I was surprised that Bhutto didn’t replace him (perhaps because he was a senior member of the party and already beyond retirement age).

I, myself, was fortunate to have studied in a missionary school which is famous for having produced a president of the country, a prime minister as well as a provincial governor and chief minister, a senior Indian politician and some army generals (a couple of whom were my classmates). One of my class fellows is a well-known columnist writing for a leading English newspaper of the country.

Teachers were dedicated and strict. The school was run by Dutch Christian priests who spoke to us only in English. They were strict disciplinarians who didn’t hesitate to cane us if we didn’t do our homework. This school was among the two missionary schools in Karachi that were not nationalised, but when I had my son admitted there in 1980 I found that the former teachers had retired and had been replaced by those who were products of nationalised schools and were not as good as ours had been. Nowadays, of course, private schools have sprung up and children of the elite are being trained to get good jobs after they graduate. But even some private school teachers are not as good as the ones we had when we were kids. My teachers were so good that I didn’t need tuition, but most children nowadays need to avail private tuitions to be able to pass. Perhaps it’s because school teachers are not paid more than the minimum wage prescribed by the government.

It will be a long time before things improve, and I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

1692.jpg

Shakir Lakhani
Engineer, former visiting lecturer at NED Engineering College, industrialist, associated with petroleum/chemical industries for many years. Loves writing, and (in the opinion of most of those who know him), mentally unbalanced. He tweets @shakirlakhani (twitter.com/shakirlakhani)

In Europe nobody is educated in English, every body is educated in their own language.
The author is an idiot...nobody knows him and all of the "facts" he has printed from his rear end. He is such an idiot that he can't even differentiate between an editing mistake with illiteracy "Oct 32" is of course a typo and most of the people will deal with it that way but he starts screaming like 13 yr old who catches the mistake of his peers

Last edited:
Shakir Lakhani
This guy is a oaf. This article he wrote is ample proof of that.

It was undoubtedly Zulfikar Ali Bhutto who gave the death blow to quality education in the country.
Oh okay so it was ZAB that did in education.

Way back in 1972, in the first cabinet of Bhutto, the health minister, Sheikh Rasheed, announced that by introducing generic medicines in the country, prices had come down by up to “a 1000%”. And he said this at an international conference outside Pakistan, which made us the laughing stock of the whole world.
So we had ministers in 1972 before Bhutto's nationalizaion that did not understand what '1000%' was. Proving that even before 1970s Pakistan had some bad schools.

I, myself, was fortunate to have studied in a missionary school which is famous for having produced a president of the country, a prime minister as well as a provincial governor and chief minister, a senior Indian politician and some army generals (a couple of whom were my classmates). One of my class fellows is a well-known columnist writing for a leading English newspaper of the country.
Good for you - although in my opinion your still a oaf.

This school was among the two missionary schools in Karachi that were not nationalised
Hurrah. That means your school escaped ZAB's destruction of education. Great.

I had my son admitted there in 1980 I found that the former teachers had retired and had been replaced by those who were products of nationalised schools and were not as good as ours had been.
So let me get this right. Your son went to this school in 1980 but the teachers had been replaced - which is normal thing to happen. But were these teachers products of Bhuttos 'nationalized' schools?

So let me get this right. Eight years after nationalization in 1972 this great school that Mr Lakhanin had gone to was in 1980 run to the dogs because it was full of teachers who were products of ZAB's nationalized schools. 8 years later? Come on. Did this school sack all the teachers in 1980 and replace them all with young teachers all products from post 1972. Does not make any sense and goes against what the writer is claiming.

The real reason in dumbing down in education was simple. It was happening across the board in all spheres of government and society. The British had brought with them the formaula that made them a superpower. Meritocracy, education and hard work ethic. These qualaties had to a degree began to seep into what is now Pakistn within a small body of the educated - who were products of British rule including Mr Jinnah himself.

Every year past 1947 British influence and legacy got weaker amnd weaker. That gradually led to things dumbing down year after year. That is the real reason for drop in standards.

In Europe nobody is educated in English, every body is educated in their own language.
We had Michael Gove in the UK. Thanks for making my GCSE's 100 times more harder. Thanks for making A-Level "More Challenging".
We don't need some one like Michael Gove in Pakistan but we need a properly run exam board that marks papers fairly and mostly education to be under the public sector.

Oh okay so it was ZAB that did in education.
In Scandinavia, China, Russia etc the education is nationalised or state sponsored and they all study in their mother tongues. So it is not the fault of nationalisation of academic institutions. By the way, the only Nobel laureate in science from Pakistan, Dr Abdus Salam was a product of the typical govt school in Jhang (not Lahore, Karachi etc).
and by the way Bhutto is past...how much these jamhoorri kuttas have contributed to the education...The only period that saw real attention and genuine investment in education was during Musharraf's time under Dr Atta ur Rehman's guidance but that too was limited to the higher education.

Can anybody tell me who brought the matric and fsc system in Pakistan.they are still using books from the 80's

If Education system in Pakistan is not up to the mark...then why don't you guys upgrade it.
Take up this issue with central ministry..
Do Pakistan have student's union?
This is golden period for Asia.
Now or never. Tough world

Pakistan is in debt right now. It is due to the policy of Nuclear program that comes with economic sanction, poor policy under the Military leaders that sets the economy backward.

That's why the investments on the energy sectors and more economical investments are badly needed to improve the economy, and pay the debt back and with that invested resources to carry on the economy to multiply fruits for the future which will open rooms to fund for education, health and lifestyle.

It is simple. If there is no stable economy, then there is no funding for education sectors, that means we are stuck in outdated resources because we cannot afford higher learning materials and qualified professors due to limited budgets.

ZAB left us with a very good education system, there was hiring process for teachers with minimum qualification and regular reviews, mandatory training every two years in their respective subjects. I am sorry for the ignorance of Mr. Lakhani and since he went to missionary schools and was able to speak English does not mean he is the only one who could speak and spell and it wasn't only the missionary schools which produced bright English speaking students like Mr. Lakhani. I got all my education from Govt Schools in Karachi, we had excellent teachers who were dedicated to their profession, I still sometime think about my teachers from Primary and secondary schools and how they have made an impression on my life. In fact, had we continued properly with the education system setup by ZAB we would have less corruption in our society since children's education is the first thing that inclines parents to accept corruption money so they can send their kids to private English medium schools and pay Rs. 10,000 monthly for each of their 4 kids while making 25,000/month on govt job.

my message to Mr. Lakhani: just because you can write in English doesn't mean you have to write something even if you have no idea but just the language skills.

That's why the investments on the energy sectors and more economical investments are badly needed to improve the economy, and pay the debt back and with that invested resources to carry on the economy to multiply fruits for the future which will open rooms to fund for education, health and lifestyle.
energy sector investment is also due to democratically elected people that have political agendas and undermine each other , point of kalabagh which is viable but is politicised
also lack of vision and investing in solar or wind which might be good on paper but look at bahawalpur its a hog ,
this is a third world country u have coal use it, hell with kyoto treaty and such , if they want u to reduce carbon lrt them help with the technology

due to corruption of democratically elected govt

You call it 'corruption' and i call it 'future investment' for the future. It is better than doing nothing and letting Imran Khan's beloved terrorist-outfit TTP blowing up every resources and killing more than 50,000 innocent people.

energy sector investment is also due to democratically elected people that have political agendas and undermine each other , point of kalabagh which is viable but is politicised
also lack of vision and investing in solar or wind which might be good on paper but look at bahawalpur its a hog ,
this is a third world country u have coal use it, hell with kyoto treaty and such , if they want u to reduce carbon lrt them help with the technology

Just like CPEC doesn't exit. It is all imagination, right? Nice to know where you guys stand on. #Cuckoo land :disagree:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom