What's new

Youth from HK, Macao and Taiwan should be allowed to join PLA: deputy

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Young people from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan should be allowed to join the People's Liberation Army (PLA) to contribute to the development of national defense, as some of them have voiced such expectations, a Taiwan deputy to the National People's Congress (NPC) proposed during this year's two sessions.

Cai Peihui, an NPC deputy and a businessman from Taiwan island, said that he learned that some Hong Kong young people who live in the Chinese mainland with their parents want to apply to military academies and join the PLA to fulfill their duties as citizens and contribute to the country's national defense, according to a statement sent to the Global Times on Monday by the All-China Federation of Taiwan Compatriots.

Cai said that China should value their aspirations to enhance their national identity, and they can better contribute to social development after professional military training.

Allowing young people from Hong Kong and Macao to join the PLA was proposed by lawmakers and political advisors as early as 2018.

The Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong proposed during the two sessions in 2018 to allow Hong Kong students who studied in Chinese mainland universities to join the PLA and grant them preferential policies such as tuition reductions.

Wu Qian, spokesperson of the Ministry of National Defense, said at a press briefing in August 2018 that Hong Kong residents' understanding of the PLA had deepened since Hong Kong's return to the motherland in 1997, and some Hong Kong compatriots had expressed a willingness to join the PLA.

"We welcome the patriotic enthusiasm of Hong Kong residents and the related authority is discussing and researching the matter," Wu said.

Indian media after reading this:

Breaking news! Chinese army has acute shortage of manpower so it is begging independent democratic countries for soldiers to fight with India.

The problem is their system and education formal is different from mainland China. Intergrating them will be a problem.

The problem is their system and education formal is different from mainland China. Intergrating them will be a problem.
I think the problem is not here. Most people still don't like to serve. Military service is a complete system, not a job fair for private companies.

The implementation of the military service law in these areas is a legal issue. I think the current solution is to allow them to apply for military academies instead of directly starting service.

I think the problem is not here. Most people still don't like to serve. Military service is a complete system, not a job fair for private companies.

The implementation of the military service law in these areas is a legal issue. I think the current solution is to allow them to apply for military academies instead of directly starting service.
I think they are talking about opening professional military position for those from HK, Macau and Taiwan who want to make a long term career for themselves. Those who want to volunteer to join armed forces but of cos make a living out of it. Surely, they are some who want to join military as a career.

Currently, they are not allowed to join any professional position of PLA.

I think they are talking about opening professional military position for those from HK, Macau and Taiwan who want to make a long term career for themselves. Those who want to volunteer to join armed forces but of cos make a living out of it. Surely, they are some who want to join military as a career.

Currently, they are not allowed to join any professional position of PLA.
Yes, this year both the representatives of Hong Kong and Taiwan raised this issue. Many people want to become professional soldiers. However, the PLA is becoming increasingly specialized, and there is no longer a need for so many soldiers without university degrees. I think most people prefer to fly planes, tanks, and warships rather than patrol the border or plant trees in the camp.

There is a difference between front-line combat troops and reserve troops.Therefore, this situation cannot be handled simply.

:coffee: :-)
IMO they may not be able to endure and wothstand the hardship although there may be exception.

Back
Top Bottom