What's new

Yousuf breaks Richards' Test record

Goodperson

Reaction score
http://cricket.indiatimes.com/articleshow/603778.cms

KARACHI, Nov 27: Pakistani batsman Mohammad Yousuf on Monday broke the world record for most number of centuries in a calendar year when he notched up his 22nd hundred in the third and final Test against the West Indies at the National Stadium here.

Yousuf, who scored his third hundred of the series, took his tally of tons this year to eight which is better than the record of seven centuries held jointly by West Indian Vivian Richards and Aravinda de Silva of Sri Lanka.

The Pakistani middle order batsman is now 47 runs short of breaking Richard's record of scoring most number of runs in a calender year -- 1710 in 11 matches set way back in 1976.

The last few months have turned out to be a prolific one for Yousuf who last year converted to Islam from Christianity.

A deeply religious person, Yousuf has scored as many as nine hundreds in his last 12 Tests. The century today was his fifth in successive Tests, with his last seven Tests having produced a glut of 1172 runs so far.

Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq today reached a milestone by becoming Test cricket's 10th highest scorer when he got his second run to reach 8541 runs.

Jiway Yousuf
Jiway Inzamam
Jiway Pakistan! :flag:

Nice... Yusuf is undoubtebly performing really well.

But woah, check out Richards records, 1710 in 11 matches!

Yusuf's last 7 matches have been great too: 1172 in 7 matches!

He is on a roll since his conversion. This is really excellent performance.
On the other side our boys are a struggling lot in South Africa.
Kashif

well done yousaf

he has only one inning left in this calendar year
and he needs 45 runs to make a new record.

well done yousaf

he has only one inning left in this calendar year
and he needs 45 runs to make a new record.

This is going to be a bit tricky here, he has to keep the patience & to play his normal and natural game, if he wanna achieve that fate. It is going to be really interesting then, hopefully he will get there.:tup:

http://cricket.indiatimes.com/articleshow/603778.cms

KARACHI, Nov 27: Pakistani batsman Mohammad Yousuf on Monday broke the world record for most number of centuries in a calendar year when he notched up his 22nd hundred in the third and final Test against the West Indies at the National Stadium here.

Yousuf, who scored his third hundred of the series, took his tally of tons this year to eight which is better than the record of seven centuries held jointly by West Indian Vivian Richards and Aravinda de Silva of Sri Lanka.

The Pakistani middle order batsman is now 47 runs short of breaking Richard's record of scoring most number of runs in a calender year -- 1710 in 11 matches set way back in 1976.

The last few months have turned out to be a prolific one for Yousuf who last year converted to Islam from Christianity.

A deeply religious person, Yousuf has scored as many as nine hundreds in his last 12 Tests. The century today was his fifth in successive Tests, with his last seven Tests having produced a glut of 1172 runs so far.

Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq today reached a milestone by becoming Test cricket's 10th highest scorer when he got his second run to reach 8541 runs.

Hmm the only thing that I would say is that the article states he converted last year. My understanding was that he converted a few years ago and just kept it quiet.

Best batsman in the Pak team!

yes he was converted to islam a few years ago.
Yousaf is on 1 at the end of the day...

ish him best of luck for the next 44 runs.

Yousuf breaks Viv Richards' record
http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2006/nov/30record.htm

Pakistan batsman Mohammad Yousuf established a a new record for the most Test runs in a calender year on the fourth day of the third and final Test against West Indies on Thursday.

Playing in his 73rd Test, Yousuf passed West Indian Viv Richards record of 1,710 runs in 11 matches set in 1976 when he scored his 47th run with a boundary through mid-on.

On the first day of the match, Yousuf also broke the record for the most hundreds in a year, moving clear of Richards and Sri Lankan Aravinda de Silva when he scored his eighth century of 2006.

He's is something, great great one of the greatest cricket batsman now.

I must say that it annoys me that everyone goes on about "boom boom" when Yousuf's style often wins matches.
:tup:

Yousuf breaks Viv Richards' record
http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2006/nov/30record.htm

Pakistan batsman Mohammad Yousuf established a a new record for the most Test runs in a calender year on the fourth day of the third and final Test against West Indies on Thursday.

Playing in his 73rd Test, Yousuf passed West Indian Viv Richards record of 1,710 runs in 11 matches set in 1976 when he scored his 47th run with a boundary through mid-on.

On the first day of the match, Yousuf also broke the record for the most hundreds in a year, moving clear of Richards and Sri Lankan Aravinda de Silva when he scored his eighth century of 2006.

Yay...great day for Yousuf, great day for us.
Thanks man for making us proud! :flag:
Great day for Cricket!

And thats the Pakistani spirit! :thumbsup:

Modest Yousuf says his records are for Pakistan

KARACHI (updated on: November 30, 2006, 22:53 PST): Prolific scorer Mohammad Yousuf said the best thing about his world record for the most Test runs in a calendar year is his country will be mentioned whenever people talk about the new landmark.

"I am happy this world record has Pakistan's name," said Yousuf, who beat West Indian great Viv Richards' 30-year-old mark with his 124 on the fourth day in the third Test against the West Indies on Thursday.

"I would like to dedicate the record to my mother, my wife and my brothers who have been a great support and are very happy about my success," said Yousuf, who rose from the slums of Lahore to make his Test debut in 1998.

Yousuf said his record was for his country.

"It is a great honour to create a world record. You play for your country, which is a great privilege, and to create history is a matter of great pride," said Yousuf, who also set a new Pakistan mark for a three-Test series score of 665.

The 32-year-old right-handed batsman drove paceman Corey Collymore to the boundary to cross Richards' record tally and went on to set a new mark of 1,788 Test runs in 11 Tests.

He also scored his ninth century of the year, beating his own record of eight that he set on Monday in the first innings. One of the previous holders for the century record was Richards, again in 1976.

Yousuf also equalled Australian great Don Bradman's record of scoring six centuries in successive Tests -- although it took him only five matches compared with Bradman's six.

But Yousuf played down the comparison with Richards and other Pakistani greats.

"I still feel that Richards and Brian Lara are the two greatest bastmen of this century. I had followed Richards in my childhood and think he should still be regarded as the greatest.

"Lara is the best batsman of my time, scoring 400 runs in a Test innings is no mean achievement and Lara has done it," said Yousuf, referring to the master West Indian's highest Test score made against England at St. John's in 2004.

Lara hailed Yousuf's achievement, saying he had been phenomenal over the year.

"His is an excellent achievement. Nine hundreds in a year was never done before and the credit must be given to him. He has become a role model, not only for youngsters of Pakistan but also around the world," said Lara.

The West Indian captain, who before this Test had pledged he would come down hard on Yousuf to stop him from snatching Richards' record, said Yousuf's run of form was tremendous.

"I didn't like that the last 600 runs of his record because those were made against us -- but his run of form was tremendous," said Lara.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

Back
Top Bottom