What's new

Your Weight in Gold: Dubai Municipality to give more gold for weight losers

Al Bhatti

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Any PDF member from UAE taking part in it?

-----------------------------------

July 22, 2013

Dubai residents respond to weight in gold programme

Dubai Municipality expects total of 10,000 participants

The municipality’s health initiative has received an overwhelming response from residents who have jumped on the bandwagon to lose their weight in gold.

On the first day alone, 5,000 people signed up for the “Your Weight in Gold” campaign, and municipality officials say they expect to receive a total of at least 10,000 before the campaign ends.

Some residents, however, expressed their confusion regarding registration as they have not yet received an SMS confirming their participation despite queuing in line for over two hours.

“I registered at Zabeel Park on Saturday and was only required to give my name and mobile number. Since I did not get any response from the municipality, I called the hotline number 800 900 and made a complaint. Within half an hour, an official responded and confirmed that I was registered,” said Nishah Charania, 31, from Pakistan.

A municipality official confirmed that participants should receive their SMS confirmation within the week, and that the process has been slightly delayed to the overwhelming response.

Charania is determined to lose those few extra kilos this Ramadan by changing her diet to a vegetarian one, as well as using the gym in her building.

“I found out about this campaign on Facebook and joined because it sounded like fun to be part of this competition, and it was not about the monetary incentive. I eat mostly vegetarian meals, except for once a week when I go out, but I still watch my diet and have grilled or lean meat…nothing deep-fried,” she said.

Exercising while fasting is difficult to do, so as Charania pointed out, she plans to use the treadmill immediately after iftar.

“When ending my fast, I only eat dried fruits and nuts with two or three glasses of water. It is then easier to exercise and do yoga with a bottle of water by my side,” she explained.

Abdullah Abdul Rahman, an Emirati government employee, 49, has also encouraged his friends and family to enrol in the campaign. During the month, Abdul Rahman intends to jog around Safa Park every night after Taraweeh prayers, and lose about three or four kilos.

“I weigh 68kg and feel that I should lose a bit of weight from my belly. I used to exercise regularly throughout the year but slowly stopped, so now I want to make jogging a habit and continue with it for the rest of the year,” he said.

“Your Weight in Gold” campaign runs from July 19 to August 16, and aims to promote a healthy lifestyle and encourage residents to achieve optimal body weight. The top three winners who lose the most amount of weight during the 30-day programme will win gold equivalent to Dh20,000.

Residents can still register at fives sites across Dubai —Gate 3 of Zabeel Park, the main gate of Al Khawaneej jogging track, starting point of the jogging track at Mamzar Beach, gate 4 of Safa Park and the main gate of Al Barsha Park.

Dubai residents respond to weight in gold programme | GulfNews.com

-------------------

July 27, 2013

674385821.jpg

People queue for the official inauguration of the ‘Your Weight in Gold’ initiative at Safa Park on Friday.

Your Weight in Gold: Dubai Municipality to give more gold for weight losers

Participants who lose 10kg can win 30 grams of gold

Participants who registered in the civic body’s weight loss campaign can now have double the incentive, as they can now win twice the amount of gold for every kilo lost.

“Instead of the previously announced one gram, we will give two grams of gold for each kilogram lost for those who lose five kilograms and above, and three grams of gold for each kilogram for those who lose 10 kilograms and above,” said Eng Hussain Nasser Lootah, Director General of Dubai Municipality.

This means that people who shed five kilograms will now stand to win 10 grams of gold, and 30 grams of gold if 10kg of weight is lost.

However, he pointed out that the minimum weight to lose in order to be eligible for gold remains the same at two kilograms, and the grand prizes for the top three winners is also the same at Dh20,000 worth of gold.

The decision to increase the gold prizes was made after the campaign received an overwhelming response from residents, as nearly 5,000 people registered in the ‘Your Weight in Gold’ initiative in the first three days.

“The new decision is expected to motivate more people to participate and encourage a healthy competition among the participants, hoping to make it the biggest community initiative in terms of effective participation,” said Lootah.

“The enormous interest to participate in the contest shows the high level of public health awareness and education of the citizens and participants in the emirate of Dubai,” he said.

Residents can continue to register on any day before the campaign’s deadline on August 16, and can do so at fives sites across Dubai, including Gate 3 of Zabeel Park, the main gate of Al Khawaneej jogging track, starting point of the jogging track at Mamzar Beach, gate 4 of Safa Park, and the main gate of Al Barsha Park.

Your Weight in Gold: Dubai Municipality to give more gold for weight losers | GulfNews.com

Aug 19, 2013

10,000 UAE residents work out at Dubai parks in weight-for-gold campaign

Participants in the Your Weight in Gold campaign will get a helping hand from the civic body over the next few days.

Dubai Municipality has organised three days of exercise classes in various parks for the close to 10,000 residents trying to shed their extra kilos.

Between 5pm and 9pm today the civic body has organised activities in Al Safa Park, classes will be held in Zabeel Park on Wednesday and the third class will be held on
 Friday at the Mamzar Beach jogging track.

“During these open days participants will have a chance to have different sorts of medical check-ups and participate in diverse sports that may give them the right directions to keep a healthy life and lose weight in a safe ways,” said Yusuf Murad Salmeen, head of the media section at the civic body.

The Your Weight in Gold campaign, which runs until August 30, has offered to pay residents who lose less than 5kilograms a gram of gold for each kilo of weight lost, 2g of gold per kilo lost for those who lose more than 5kg and 3g of gold per kilo lost for those who lose more than 10kg.

The three biggest losers will be entered into a draw for a chance to receive a gold coin worth Dh20,000.

Apart from the three sports day, the civic body has also started special camps on Wednesdays and Thursdays at sites where the weigh-ins took place to provide additional support to the participants.

“These camps which will be available till the end of August. Experts and health consultants will be available there to impart necessary instructions and advice to participants to assist them to complete the mission in a safe and healthy way” said Mr Salmeen.

The support camps will run between 5pm and 9pm.

The municipality has also set up two hotlines for queries from the participants.

“Participants can call us at 04 206 4055 or 04 206 4077 between 10am and 12pm for all kinds of information. Medical and nutrition experts will answer their queries and give advice accordingly” said Ali Al Giffari, a member of the organising committee.

“Dubai Municipality wants to provide people with the incentive to get healthy and the facilities to do so in a correct and healthy manner,” said Mr Al Giffari.

For general queries regarding registration and other matters related to the campaign, participants can contact 800900 any time.

10,000 UAE residents work out at Dubai parks in weight-for-gold campaign - The National

Seriously? well i need to loose weight and what better motivation:D

yes that's True. The three biggest losers will be entered into a draw for a chance to receive a gold coin worth Dh20,000.

Back
Top Bottom