What's new

Yoga programme at US school sparks religious controversy

Please dont mind but a funny innovation which they made to dilute the parents objection, is to rename the poses as Dog Pose Monkey Pose, warrior pose etc etc.

i wonder if at the end the yoga owners get offended by such names DOG pose ?

we are not that imbecile to recognize that they are training small kids who would not understand foreign sounding Sanskrit names for the poses. It also serves the purpose of disassociation to anything related to Hinduism. As long of essence of Yoga is realized then the purpose is served that of health body, healthy mind and healthy spirit.

Bro - I intend to include yoga along with my weights and cardio I do as job related stress is the killing factor for me and any amount of diet and exercise is not helping me to reduce percentage of fat - trying to bring it down to around 10% from 15% for the last one year. Yoga can get rid of the cortisol in your body which is the main factor in converting the calories to all fat.

Dude eat less than your burn & you'd loose weight ! Eat more than you burn & you'd gain it !

Eat low-fat & burn & you'd get rid of the fat from those love handles & do the opposite should you wish to fatten them up !

Do compound exercises (deadlifts, benchpress, overheadpress, barbell rows, weighted pull-ups, squats) with free weights instead of having a split 'Chest' workout day followed by an 'Arms' workout day & so on & so forth ! Stay away from machines...they're good for rehabilitation but they're sh*t otherwise. And don't overdo the chest with endless exercises ranging from 'inclined bench press' to the 'standard one', from 'butterflies' to the 'dumbell presses' etc. & similarly don't do these endless exercise that isolate a single muslce & work it out; go for compound exercises that make use of free-weights instead !

Fat kiyaa Fat kaa baaap bhiii jaiii ga ! :tup:

Google 'Stronglifts 5x5' - A very good program which saves up on time & is free to know about !

P.S Ditch the cardio..its a waste of time...build muscles instead because muscles are much much more calorie intensive & they burn calories even during rest by charging up your metabolism rate !

Exactly , we should let the school authorities figure out , where most parents of the students stand on this. If majority is against , scrap it. If majority is for it , then carry on.Again, democratic principles should be allowed to be implemented here.

I guess I didn't explain properly. School prayers led by authorities were declared illegal despite the fact that majority of parents at those schools wanted it.

Oh come on don't tell me you took Yoga classes too ! :blink:

Men pump iron or do pull ups they leave the Yoga, the Pilates, the Aerobics etc. to their better halves ! :D

Try ashtanga yoga, it is serious stuff! 99% of the gym big boys wouldn't be able to do it.

Headstand, handstand, stand up from bridge, etc.

Many NFL teams included it as part of their training program.

I guess I didn't explain properly. School prayers led by authorities were declared illegal despite the fact that majority of parents at those schools wanted it.

Try ashtanga yoga, it is serious stuff! 99% of the gym big boys wouldn't be able to do it.

Headstand, handstand, stand up from bridge, etc.

Many NFL teams included it as part of their training program.

Hmm... I am not sure yoga exercise or some discussion of its background could be considered a prayer. Anyway, let them figure out.

Some clever-d**k company will file a patent for a Zogi or a Bogi and would start claiming the rights for the Yoga just like what they tried doing with Basmati.

I don't think that anybody would even talk of Microsoft's patented yoga or so, just seems out of place. Regarding Basmati yes it was a wrong thing to happen to subcontinent.

Dude eat less than your burn & you'd loose weight ! Eat more than you burn & you'd gain it !

Eat low-fat & burn & you'd get rid of the fat from those love handles & do the opposite should you wish to fatten them up !

Do compound exercises (deadlifts, benchpress, overheadpress, barbell rows, weighted pull-ups, squats) with free weights instead of having a split 'Chest' workout day followed by an 'Arms' workout day & so on & so forth ! Stay away from machines...they're good for rehabilitation but they're sh*t otherwise. And don't overdo the chest with endless exercises ranging from 'inclined bench press' to the 'standard one', from 'butterflies' to the 'dumbell presses' etc. & similarly don't do these endless exercise that isolate a single muslce & work it out; go for compound exercises that make use of free-weights instead !

Fat kiyaa Fat kaa baaap bhiii jaiii ga ! :tup:

Google 'Stronglifts 5x5' - A very good program which saves up on time & is free to know about !

P.S Ditch the cardio..its a waste of time...build muscles instead because muscles are much much more calorie intensive & they burn calories even during rest by charging up your metabolism rate !

Mate - what you are suggesting is something I have tried out. I know my resting metabolism as I have a body composition machine at home and do the calculation of what I eat and what I spend in gym and other activities. I only do complex carbs and 1/3 percentage of the total fat allowed(fat is needed for testosterone secretion as cholesterol from fat is converted to testosterone which is a fat burner hormone) and do very little carbs after 2 pm - eat carbs after 2 pm only the day when I do weights.

I do deadlifts, incline/decline/regular bench presses, flys, squats and pull-ups(have a iron gym bar at home so do it in between tv advts) and couple of other compound exercises(3 days split workout for various muscle groups) to boost HGH which is again a fat burner hormone.

I do cardio as well just to get rid of the stress at work 3 times a week.

Inspite of it, the cortisol is the biggest killer as my primary care physician tested my cortisol levels but I know the stress at work is the biggest factor for me. So I intend to incorporate yoga as suggested by a trainer in the gym.(tried weekend massages but that did not help)

I see nothing wrong with "om". I am talking about teachers discussing Patanjali's life and spiritual history, etc. during lessons.

Not necessary.

Just as many Western Muslim converts tend to be more religious than the average "born" Muslim, so many of these yoga devotees, even if not Hindu, are more zealous than the average practitioner in India.

As I mentioned, you can see this kind of zeal in other new age type of people, especially in the West: vegetarians, climate change advocates, environmentalists, etc. These people tend to have a burning self-righteous zeal within them that they know the ultimate truth and must share it with the unenlightened masses.

Well if u want to define it properly 'om' is an incantation and powerful one in spirituality of dharmic religion i.e. Hinduism. Patanjali may have properly codified the rules and regulations but they were there before too. I am just saying that if people have problems with religion thing in practice of yoga then just leave incantations and concentrate on your fav god or some other thing which makes u happy and relaxed.

Mate - what you are suggesting is something I have tried out. I know my resting metabolism as I have a body composition machine at home and do the calculation of what I eat and what I spend in gym and other activities. I only do complex carbs and 1/3 percentage of the total fat allowed(fat is needed for testosterone secretion as cholesterol from fat is converted to testosterone which is a fat burner hormone) and do very little carbs after 2 pm - eat carbs after 2 pm only the day when I do weights.

I do deadlifts, incline/decline/regular bench presses, flys, squats and pull-ups(have a iron gym bar at home so do it in between tv advts) and couple of other compound exercises(3 days split workout for various muscle groups) to boost HGH which is again a fat burner hormone.

I do cardio as well just to get rid of the stress at work 3 times a week.

Inspite of it, the cortisol is the biggest killer as my primary care physician tested my cortisol levels but I know the stress at work is the biggest factor for me. So I intend to incorporate yoga as suggested by a trainer in the gym.(tried weekend massages but that did not help)

Try getting a different job ! :D

My cousin (the Ex.UBS one) lost around $1.7 million worth of investments a few days ago from his hedge fund because Apple's stocks plummeted only to rise but by that time, after loosing so much, he had been kicked out of the bidding process by the computer ! Woh tou portfolio diversification thiiii kee kuch bachaat hogaiii warnaaa bohat loss hotaaa !

Khair...I can't wait to start that life - Ufff risk & reward at its extreme ! :tup:

Well if u want to define it properly 'om' is an incantation and powerful one in spirituality of dharmic religion i.e. Hinduism. Patanjali may have properly codified the rules and regulations but they were there before too. I am just saying that if people have problems with religion thing in practice of yoga then just leave incantations and concentrate on your fav god or some other thing which makes u happy and relaxed.

The vast majority of yoga teachers and students are in sync about the level of spirituality in the class, so it's not a problem. It seems there was a mismatch or misunderstanding in this particular school.

Try getting a different job ! :D

My cousin (the Ex.UBS one) lost around $1.7 million worth of investments a few days ago from his hedge fund because Apple's stocks plummeted only to rise but by that time, after loosing so much, he had been kicked out of the bidding process by the computer ! Woh tou portfolio diversification thiiii kee kuch bachaat hogaiii warnaaa bohat loss hotaaa !

Khair...I can't wait to start that life - Ufff risk & reward at its extreme ! :tup:

That is my long term solution. Sad to hear about your cousin. Investment banking is a risky proportion these days. If you like banking, that is the way to go. If not, it is a dog-eat-dog world.

Wait let me get this straight ! People had a problem with Yoga because its a product of Dharmic India & possibly of Hinduism ? Itnaaa touu 'uptight' humm bhii nahin haiin ! :blink:

That is my long term solution. Sad to hear about your cousin. Investment banking is a risky proportion these days. If you like banking, that is the way to go. If not, it is a dog-eat-dog world.

Koi nahin you win some you loose some ! :tup:

I am indeed into 'money markets' & I'd love to have a hedge fund of my own someday but my Dad would probably lynch me before I take the plunge - Armstrong play it safe & have a secure 9 to 5 job that puts food on the table & still leaves some for the piggy bank, he says !

Dunno dekhteiii hainn...right now I'm into auditing & thinking of going for the CFA charter this December; the problem is that the Pakistani capital markets are way way too immature ! :hitwall:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom