What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

Actually I don‘t think that‘s correct. At Zhuhai the cheIAF designer himself noted, that currently two domestic engines are in test. As such this is surely the WS-20 but less obvious IMO also the WS-18 and since the Y-20B&WS-20 is quite early in the test phase I see in fact no chance that they are already producing WS-20-powered Y-20Bs. The WS-18 however is de facto a modernised, slightly improved D-30KP-2 and much more progressed in test, so IMO it can only be this one.

WS-18 might not be a "new" engine on the Y-20. I think the new engine being refered to is the WS-20 since we already had an all-WS-20 prototype.

The WS-18 is more geared towards the new H-6 variants.

WS-18 might not be a "new" engine on the Y-20. I think the new engine being refered to is the WS-20 since we already had an all-WS-20 prototype.

The WS-18 is more geared towards the new H-6 variants.

But the Y-20‘s chief designer mentioned two new engines which in fact can only be the WS-18 and WS-20 … as such it seems he is rating the WS-18 a „new“ engine and at least I cannot think of yet another new engine since there is none.

Chinese wiki said, more than 50
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/中国人民解放军空军
And they still pumping up this thing from Factory
Yes, that number is quite accurate.

Google Earth Photos of aircraft factory in Yanliang, Xi'an, from around end 2018, end 2019 and end 2020 each showed more than 15 Y20, including some prototypes. There should be more than 40 serial production Y20s from these 3 annual images.

And there were unknown number of low rate production from 2016 and 2017.

Production rate in 2021 should be higher than previous years, including aerial refueling tanker variant Y20U.

China has begun serial production of Y-20U, filling a notable gap in the power projection capabilities of its air force.
1637087843820.png

China has begun serial production of Y-20U, filling a notable gap in the power projection capabilities of its air force.
View attachment 793923

Minor correction ... this is not a serial aircraft - just look at the prototype no. 787 and the huge red flag - but a prototype. However production is already underway since some longer time and the first ones are already in service.

Question for aviation experts - why can't these same engines be used for civilian aircrafts? I understand design is different, but is it more economical to design a totally new engine for civilian aircrafts?

Back
Top Bottom