What's new

Wtf is BITCOIN?

Why we shouldn't create our own digital currency ?

Why we shouldn't create our own digital currency ?
how credible are you? what if you create and then run away ?

look bitcoin is a big ponzi scheme, sooner or later it has to crash. ppl rig the stock market even after having so many rules & controls , bitcoin is no different either.

Any new thing goes through the period of bubbles and busts. When internet rather web first became mainstream, internet related shares went through a period of massive bubble. Bitcoin or its successor will get stable in due time.
Or this thing ends like baseball card fads. It's been nearly a decade since blockchain was introduced, and no one has come up with any use other than speculative digital coins for dark web transactions. Maybe the technology isn't as revolutionary as crypto fans hype it up to be.

"True blockchain-led transformation of business and government, we believe, is still many years away. That’s because blockchain is not a “disruptive” technology, which can attack a traditional business model with a lower-cost solution and overtake incumbent firms quickly. Blockchain is a foundational technology: It has the potential to create new foundations for our economic and social systems. But while the impact will be enormous, it will take decades for blockchain to seep into our economic and social infrastructure. The process of adoption will be gradual and steady, not sudden, as waves of technological and institutional change gain momentum. That insight and its strategic implications are what we’ll explore in this article."
https://hbr.org/2017/01/the-truth-about-blockchain

What is the intrinsic value of dollar or yuan? Only the promise of its issuer, right? If the issue wants to print money under pretext of 'quantitative easing' is there anything you can do to stop your money losing the value? Well, at-least bit coins cannot be quantitative eased or printed based on a whim of a beaurocrat.

For that matter what Gold has as intrinsic value? Or say diamonds? Beside being pretty sturdy materials and quite rare. Well, so are bitcoins. And you have alt-coins of Gold too. Its called silver. Then there is a whole bunch of 'precious metals'. Or gems. Honestly all of these are arbitrary stores of value. Nothing better than digital currency.

And lastly laws.. It is something that works because everyone accepts them and a threat of violence is there for those who break them. Thats all! I will say having a non-repudiatory, not-easily broken system is much better than something that works only faith or threat of violence.

Honestly, I am surprised none of you have mentioned the biggest reason why fiat currencies are better. They have a history of more than 2000 years behind them. Bitcoins or cypto will take sometime to get to that level. Thats only what is holding them back.
Dollar or the Yuan are backed by legal tender, a country's economic productivity and the credibility of governments behind it. Gold is limited in its quanities by its physical nature. Cryptocurrencies on the other hand, are neither. Theoretically, it's limitless in terms of its quanity since you can start a thousand different altcoins tomorrow. I rather trust the government more than some nerd cooked up in their mom's basement.

By the way, we already have digitized currency. Vast majority of major currencies in the world are held in digital form, with less than 10% being cash in circulation. You're holding on to a pot of fool's gold hoping a bigger fool will buy it off you. When the dust clears, somebody will be left holding the worthless pot.

Last edited:
bitcoin cannot be audited so statistics about its demand and supply can be false which means its value is wrong
and manipulated easily by its controllers

Or this thing ends like baseball card fads. It's been nearly a decade since blockchain was introduced, and no one has come up with any use other than speculative digital coins for dark web transactions. Maybe the technology isn't as revolutionary as crypto fans hype it up to be.

"True blockchain-led transformation of business and government, we believe, is still many years away. That’s because blockchain is not a “disruptive” technology, which can attack a traditional business model with a lower-cost solution and overtake incumbent firms quickly. Blockchain is a foundational technology: It has the potential to create new foundations for our economic and social systems. But while the impact will be enormous, it will take decades for blockchain to seep into our economic and social infrastructure. The process of adoption will be gradual and steady, not sudden, as waves of technological and institutional change gain momentum. That insight and its strategic implications are what we’ll explore in this article."
https://hbr.org/2017/01/the-truth-about-blockchain

Ummm, I fail to see how do you draw the conslusion "Maybe the technology isn't as revolutionary" from the article. Even the article states that this technology has major strategic implication. They are suggesting if adaptation of Blockchain is anything like email and TCP/IP, it will take decades before it is fully integrates. Being a foundational technology is very much revolutionary. Think electricity. There was a huge amount of time between first batteries and first electricity based motors but electricity was a foundational technology. It revolutionized the world but it took its time. It wasn't disruptive till it got there.

Dollar or the Yuan are backed by legal tender, a country's economic productivity and the credibility of governments behind it. Gold is limited in its quanities by its physical nature. Cryptocurrencies on the other hand, are neither. Theoretically, it's limitless in terms of its quanity since you can start a thousand different altcoins tomorrow.
So ultimately you are depending upon an authority's promise, right? What if that authority turns hostile or stupid? Its a rare but catastrophic event. Bitcoin kind of currency will still retain its value because it cannot be quantitatively eased and hence inflated nor its circulation can be stopped at a whim.

Comparing 'gold' to all crypto-currencies is a wrong comparision. A proper one will be comparison of all metals and non metals against all crypto-currencies. Surely you can try making lead a store of value but it won't be acceptable as there is too much of it. Similarly, there will be one or two major cryto-currencies acting as a store of value. All the alt coins are like lead to the gold of bitcoins.

I rather trust the government more than some nerd cooked up in their mom's basement.
I would rather trust a currency that is open and well studied by many minds of the world than a currency which is controlled by an aribtrary group of bureaucrats who ruin it due to their incompetence or self-interest. I will like my money to survive a collapse of my government.

By the way, we already have digitized currency. Vast majority of major currencies in the world are held in digital form, with less than 10% being cash in circulation. You're holding on to a pot of fool's gold hoping a bigger fool will buy it off you. When the dust clears, somebody will be left holding the worthless pot.
May I ask what gives gold its worth if it is not just the acceptance?

BTW all the 'digital currencies' are also purely faith based. Your money in you bank account is at the mercy of a software written by an unknown person whom you are placing your faith in. You cann't validate that software. You cann't even challenge it. The primary record is in bank which will always be taken as authentic. You have no control over it.

What I find rather hilarious is that some how you are able to put more faith in a system which is equally fragile if not more but it is the one which you cann't even verify or challenge!

bitcoin cannot be audited so statistics about its demand and supply can be false which means its value is wrong
and manipulated easily by its controllers
On the contrary it can be! Because all transactions are a part of a public ledger! That is your blockchain. No transaction becomes permanent till it is burried deep enough in blockchain.

Ummm, I fail to see how do you draw the conslusion "Maybe the technology isn't as revolutionary" from the article. Even the article states that this technology has major strategic implication. They are suggesting if adaptation of Blockchain is anything like email and TCP/IP, it will take decades before it is fully integrates. Being a foundational technology is very much revolutionary. Think electricity. There was a huge amount of time between first batteries and first electricity based motors but electricity was a foundational technology. It revolutionized the world but it took its time. It wasn't disruptive till it got there.

So ultimately you are depending upon an authority's promise, right? What if that authority turns hostile or stupid? Its a rare but catastrophic event. Bitcoin kind of currency will still retain its value because it cannot be quantitatively eased and hence inflated nor its circulation can be stopped at a whim.

Comparing 'gold' to all crypto-currencies is a wrong comparision. A proper one will be comparison of all metals and non metals against all crypto-currencies. Surely you can try making lead a store of value but it won't be acceptable as there is too much of it. Similarly, there will be one or two major cryto-currencies acting as a store of value. All the alt coins are like lead to the gold of bitcoins.

I would rather trust a currency that is open and well studied by many minds of the world than a currency which is controlled by an aribtrary group of bureaucrats who ruin it due to their incompetence or self-interest. I will like my money to survive a collapse of my government.

May I ask what gives gold its worth if it is not just the acceptance?

BTW all the 'digital currencies' are also purely faith based. Your money in you bank account is at the mercy of a software written by an unknown person whom you are placing your faith in. You cann't validate that software. You cann't even challenge it. The primary record is in bank which will always be taken as authentic. You have no control over it.

What I find rather hilarious is that some how you are able to put more faith in a system which is equally fragile if not more but it is the one which you cann't even verify or challenge!

On the contrary it can be! Because all transactions are a part of a public ledger! That is your blockchain. No transaction becomes permanent till it is burried deep enough in blockchain.
t validate that software. You cann
if blockchain is under cyber attack then there ishigh possibility that all ledger records can be manipulated .block chain should be checked by audit firm using computer assisted audit and they should give reasonable assurance that system is fairly working otherwise blockchain may also be used to alter records by bitcoin controller

Back
Top Bottom