What's new

WS-13 is nearing completion

TomCat111

Reaction score
A crude translation of Chinese link http://www.cnwnews.com/Html/soceity/society_js/2006-12/31/11391432.html

"Fierce Dragon" motor home is nearing completion

"Fierce Dragon" is currently being used by the Russian RD33 RD93 improved turbofan engine.
据航空报报道,红湖机械厂2005年全面启动WS13项目的核心机和整机研制任务,推动工厂由生产涡喷型发动机向生产涡扇型发动机的转变。According to aviation newspaper reported that the Red Lake plant started in 2005 WS13's core mission to develop aircraft and components, promoting the production of turbine jet engine from the factory to produce vortex fan engine change.

WS13核心机的关键部件之一环形火焰筒需要在内腔WS13 one of the key components in the core aircraft fire extinguishers are required cavity ring

进行高温陶瓷加工,这种陶瓷是从未使用过的新材料。High temperature ceramics, which was never used in the new ceramic material. 面对挑战,红湖厂6车间工艺室主任兼陶瓷主管工艺员成文卫勇挑重担,经过多方查阅资料和自行设计工艺参数,终于成功完成了高温火焰筒的陶瓷加工。Faced with this challenge, the director of the Red Lake plant six Shop for ceramic craft into culture, health and the nation. With various design parameters and data access, fire extinguishers successfully completed a high temperature of the ceramic processing. 结果表明,产品实物的各项技术指标和外观质量都达到了样机标准,个别指标还超过了样机标准。The results showed that the kind of products and various technical indicators have reached the prototype exterior quality standards individual indicators also exceeded the standard prototype.

而早在2003年,关键性的FC-1动力国产As early as in 2003, made a key driving force for the FTC-1 化工Chemical 作就已经开始。For it has begun. 中航一集团宣布,贵州航空发动机研究所配合FC-1的研制工作,开展了涡轮风扇发动机关键技术研究和新型涡轮风扇发动机设计出图等工作,拉开了黎阳AVIC Group Ⅰ announced that the FTC-1 with the Guizhou Institute of Aero-engine development work. Key Technology launched a turbofan engine turbofan engine design, and a new work plan started hong 公司Company 涡轮风扇发动机研制的序幕。Turbofan engine developed in the district.

FC-1FTC-1 国产Domestic 化发动机——WS-13(RD-33的国产改进型)已经进行3 年。Engine --WS-13 (RD-33 built Improved) has been carried out for three years. 该发动机长4.14米,最大外直径1.02米,交付使用重量1135千克。The engine 4.14 meters long, 1.02 meters in diameter outside the largest, weighing 1,135 kg delivery. 推重比7.8,加力推力86.37千牛,耗油率2.02千克/十牛小时。Hold in esteem than 7.8, 86.37 kN thrust Afterburner, consumption was 2.02 kg / hour 10 cattle. 最大状态中间推力56.75千牛,耗油率0.73/十牛小时。56.75 kN thrust among the largest state, oil consumption cattle 0.73/ 10 hours. 巡航推力51.2千牛,耗油率0.65/十牛小时。51.2 kN thrust cruise, oil consumption cattle 0.65/ 10 hours. 进气量80千克/秒,函道比0.57,涡轮前温度1650K,总压比23。Aeration 80 kg / seconds, more than 0.57 letter Road, turbine temperature of 1650K ago, the total pressure than 23. 大修间隔810小时,总寿命为2200小时。The overhaul interval of 810 hours, with a total life of 2,200 hours. (编者注:该发动机的大修间隔和总使用寿命指标均远远超越RD33发动机)(Editor's Note : The engine and the overhaul interval of life indicators have far exceeded the total engine RD33)

The engine uses a three-string wide solid titanium axial 合金Alloy 的风扇叶片,经两极电化学处理的整体叶盘结构,风扇前有电脑控制的可变弯度导流叶片,扩大风扇稳定工作范围。The fan blades, leaves the overall structure of the bipolar electrochemical treatment. former fans are computer-controlled variable steering guide vane, fans expand the scope of the work. 8级轴流式高压压气机(前三级为可调导流叶片)单级低压涡轮采用空心气冷转子叶片,单级高压涡轮为单晶涡轮叶片和导向器叶片,环形燃烧室,有叶尖间隙控制的空气热交换器,综合数字式全权限控制系统。8 axial pressure compressor (for the former three adjustable guide vane) used hollow-cooled single-stage low-pressure turbine rotor blade. single crystal turbine blades for the high-pressure turbine blade and a guide, annular combustor. a tip clearance control air heat exchanger and integrated digital control system for the whole authority. 齿轮箱和附件位于发动机的下方,性能先进的微型涡轮辅助动力装置。The annex is located below the engine and gear box, advanced micro-turbine auxiliary power devices.

WS-13的大部分零部件可以利用RD-33的,部分只需略加改良,小部分是新研制的。Most of the parts can be used RD-33 WS-13, some only slightly modified, is a small part of the new development. 外廓尺寸相近,引进了改良后的RD-33的大部分生产工艺设备对一条WP-13生产线进行技术改造,俄方负责培训技术人员和部分工人,培训完一批工人连设备一起运回,安装调试进行生产,合理安排各部件生产进度,交叉并行进行。Contour similar size. The introduction of improved production technology equipment to a RD-33 WP-13 most of the production line technology, Russia responsible for the training of technical staff and some workers, a number of workers have the training equipment shipped back together, installation and testing of production. reasonable arrangements for the various components of production. cross parallel. 由中俄双方在RD-33的设计基础上,对局部结构设计进行改良,WS-13将被命名为“天山-21”。By the Chinese and Russian sides in RD-33 based on the design of the local structure design improvement WS-13 will be named the "Tianshan 21." :ChinaFlag:

Is WS-13A the same engine with 10% improvement in thurst of the RD-93?

Any luck finding an article reporting this in English to start with?

I think it will be a little inferior copy of RD33K.

WS-13 is meant for JF-17 right? If so the why asl Russians to supply RD-93?
Anyways the plane looks like its still a few years away from induction.

Anyways the plane looks like its still a few years away from induction.

how can you say that??
russia didn't block the sale of RD93 and it is confirmed by many sources that PAF will fly thunder on 23rd march 2007.

Whether rd93 will be released or not is not the question. It will be but as said often the plane will have different versions for different markets. It will be plug-and-play depending on customer. RD93 will be handy for many nations. But China will never use that. They are almost finished with WS13. By the time they will produce the first production version they can add their engine at the same time.

Pakistan can use the RD93 but if needed swap easily to WS13...

WS-13 has more thrust than RD-93, and better maintenance stats; like longer service hours before overhauls and overall life. It also has a digital control system, I don't know what it is - but sounds cool. WS-13 is still in the development stage though. By the time it reaches production, its thrust should be at least 90KN, and have longer service & lifespan.

Change the JF-17's airframe with greater composite material, some minor design changes and replace RD-93 with WS-13; should reach Mach 2.

Heh! The engine is not finalised for this 1985 vintage product, and its still under development, while India will be fielding a 5th Gen. fighter within the next 5 years.:disagree:

If Putin veto's the engine, its back to the drawing board for these Chinese copy cats.:lol:

My intuition on this will be that the Tumansky RD-11/13 is always available.:lol:

Heh! The engine is not finalised for this 1985 vintage product, and its still under development, while India will be fielding a 5th Gen. fighter within the next 5 years.:disagree:
Five years as in 2012? right? So are they of Russian origin, or an Indo-Russian joint project? Five years is an exaggeration for a 5th generation fighter project to be developed, tested and put into service. I think at least 10 years sound's reasonable.

If this engine is indeed based off RD-33/93; if WS-13 has the same length and width as the RD-93, then it should not be a problem for the FC-1 to have it. Besides, if there is an aircraft that could test this engine in flight - the closest would be the FC-1.
If Putin veto's the engine, its back to the drawing board for these Chinese copy cats.:lol:
If Putin vetos the RD-93, then would that not mean concentration of the WS-13?

Five years as in 2012? right? So are they of Russian origin, or an Indo-Russian joint project? Five years is an exaggeration for a 5th generation fighter project to be developed, tested and put into service. I think at least 10 years sound's reasonable.

If this engine is indeed based off RD-33/93; if WS-13 has the same length and width as the RD-93, then it should not be a problem for the FC-1 to have it. Besides, if there is an aircraft that could test this engine in flight - the closest would be the FC-1.

If Putin vetos the RD-93, then would that not mean concentration of the WS-13?

Mark...in all honesty....I don't have much faith in China. They are technologically backward. It's been about 15 years since the induction of the Flankers in PLAAF service, and they can't even copy the AL-31F properly. I guess transitioning from the Mig-19/21 level of technology from the 50's and 60's to the level of the Sukhoi Su-27/ 30 (and that too watered down versions that Russia sold them) has been challenging. Who knows when this so called WS-13 will come around.

P.S. Mind you....this FC-1 has been on the drawing board for the last 15 odd years. Its already obsolete. It would have been a good platform to induct back in 1997 (10 years ago). Pak-FA Sukhoi/ T-50 should enter State Acceptance trials for service induction in the VVS come around 2009/2010. Thats the stated time frame.

Mark...in all honesty....I don't have much faith in China. They are technologically backward. It's been about 15 years since the induction of the Flankers in PLAAF service, and they can't even copy the AL-31F properly. I guess transitioning from the Mig-19/21 level of technology from the 50's and 60's to the level of the Sukhoi Su-27/ 30 (and that too watered down versions that Russia sold them) has been challenging. Who knows when this so called WS-13 will come around.
I'll have to differ with you there.

The Chinese have developed systems comparable - if not superior - to that of 4th Gen. Russian systems. This includes the J-10, and I doubt you'll take PLAAF claims about it beating Su-27; but I think anyone who looks at J-10, they'd say it's not 1950s & 1960s technology. They even produced a reverse-engineered/indiginized Su-27 called J-11B.

The WS-13 has already gone through initial tests, it should not take long before it enters service. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
P.S. Mind you....this FC-1 has been on the drawing board for the last 15 odd years. Its already obsolete. It would have been a good platform to induct back in 1997 (10 years ago). Pak-FA Sukhoi/ T-50 should enter State Acceptance trials for service induction in the VVS come around 2009/2010. Thats the stated time frame.
JF-17 would have been ideal for 1997, but I would not call it out right obsolete. I do not think 5th Gen. Russian jets will enter service in 2009-2010...or any time before 2015.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom