What's new

World's cheapest bike

RISING SUN

Reaction score
Country
India
Yamaha to make world's cheapest bike with India as the base
Japan's Yamaha plans to make India the base for manufacturing low-cost motorcycles for the global market.

The company, which did not have a strong presence in the mass volume segment, is looking to expand its portfolio through a new range of low-cost products, where companies like Hero MotoCorp and Bajaj Auto are the top players.

Yamaha sold 5 lakh units in 2013, and is targeting to sell 10 lakh units in 2015, including exports.

“We have been focusing on sporty, stylish and performance bikes in India so far. Now we are looking to increase our presence in the commuter segment. Developing the product in India will give us a substantial cost advantage and enable us to price it competitively,” Hiroyuki Suzuki, CEO & MD, India Yamaha Motor, said on Tuesday.

It has high hopes riding on the Yamaha Motor Research and Development India (YMRI) – set up in Surajpur, Uttar Pradesh in February this year – which is in the process of developing the world's cheapest bike.

Going by reports, the bike would be priced around $500 (Rs27,000) and first launched in India.

Yamaha hopes to export the new bike to countries in Africa and Latin America.

YMRI, Yamaha's motorcycle R&D headquarters in India and the fifth overseas R&D headquarters after Italy, Taiwan, China, and Thailand, is also working on other low-cost models for India and other markets.

Yamaha, which recently forayed into the scooter segment, also plans to launch a scooter a year in India.

It plans to set up its second R&D centre at its upcoming Chennai facility by 2015. It is investing Rs1,500 crore on the new facility, which will have a capacity of 1.8 million units by 2018.
Yamaha to make world's cheapest bike with India as the base - Money - DNA

R15%252520V2.0.jpg

mabe be a cheaper version of r15

Technically the cheapest 2 wheeler in world would be TVS made XL super - which costs roughly 24 thousand in india... ( i dono you can call that as bike as normally it is reffered to as Moped/step thru)

It is highly unlikely that Yamaha can come up a bike at that cost... because any 4 stroke bike in india is gonna cost 30k upwards (irrespective of the CC).... somebody told me that this bike will be produced in india and exported to china, even in that case they cannot sell it on 27k with the export duty and all....

If they want to reduce the price too low then there will lot of compromises - I guess bajaj tried once with a model called BYK and rest is history....

I just wish they would bring back the RX100 . and sell it for 27K . i would buy one in a second . lot of old memories are assoceated with that bike.

yamaha-rx100.jpg

I dont think you will ever get a chance to drive a new RX 100 in india anymore...... Lets hope some one finds some new technology to reduce the emission and increase fuel consumption on a 2 stroke engine... till then lets enjoy the second hand one available in market.....

I dont think you will ever get a chance to drive a new RX 100 in india anymore...... Lets hope some one finds some new technology to reduce the emission and increase fuel consumption on a 2 stroke engine... till then lets enjoy the second hand one available in market.....

Tried to buy one a few months back . but did not get a good one in hyd .

Back
Top Bottom