What's new

World’s cheapest airlines: Two Indian airlines named in top five

Well the cost cutting are almost always targeted at the customer's comfort. I don't like cheap flights either but the real advantage is when you gotta be somewhere real fast without planning.

Plus, you can always conduct your own pre flight checks for safety :tup:

Yes that's another thing, and being tall I don't fancy having my knees in my mouth as I fly and no in-board meals and entertainment. Flying is hard as it is.

Lol@ my own checks, but hey I won't use them bar some exceptions such as Silk air (run by Singapore).

Qantas-1.jpg

Qantas at number 8

Etihad-Airways.jpg

Etihad at number 6

AirAsia-X.jpg

Air Asia x at number 1

Australia, UAE, Malaysia are competing with India to win the cheap title :p:
Qantas at 8, now I don't believe this ranking.

Well if the safety standards are at par with global requirements I suppose its impressive.

Budget airlines can't match bigger airlines for safety it's a matter of economies of scale bro, which budget airlines can't do. There's a reason why the top 20 airlines on the planet for safety are all big long-haul carriers.

See here;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/safest-airlines-2018/

More information here;

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/top-20-safest-airlines-2018/

I agree I wouldn't be going anywhere with any airline which hasn't gone through the IOSA hoops.
I guess budget airlines does not necessarily equal to a small airline rather cheap airlines can actually be quite big for example Ryanair is a cheap airline but it has a lot flights within EU and has an impeccable safety record so far. It saves money by avoiding main airports, using only A320s, not offering any meals included in the fare, and also taking away a lot of other standard facilities. I just travelled once a few years when I was visiting Europe as an exchange student.

Flying cheap airlines gives me the jitters, hence why I never use them. Aviation maintenance and other checks are not cheap, I just wonder just how much can you cut costs before they start to impinge on safety.

Let me interject my thought, having my wife and brother worked in the Airline industry (My wife used to work with Qantas and SAS) and my brother is an Boeing Engineer.

Most airline save cost by minimizing seat vacancy, if you can keep your aircraft fill 90 to 95%, you will half the operational cost for a single flight at 70%. Because pax vacancy not just impact on billing (ticket sales and so on) but it also associated to luggage space (especially when you charge per kg nowadays), fuel efficiency, maintenance cost per cycle and most important of all crew cost.

And the goal to achieve that number is a very good booking management system, and by rewarding early bird and punishing on gate ticket sale. If an airline can do that, or rather, "afford" to do that, then you will save a lot of money.

Notice that when I said "afford" I don't mean by cost, but also image and aircraft turnaround. For example, National Carrier usually will not do aggressive booking because it will damage their reputation (or else being called cheap) and Also, prime airline usually pride themselves with the constant scheduling, which don't allow flight to be delayed or cancel in favour of a more fully booked flight.

And then you get pay by service, maximum seating arrangement and minimal inflight service. Safety is usually maintain but anything else would just go. That's why Ryan Air can be that big simply because they are cheap, and you know they are cheap, and you expect no service on flight, and if you don't care about that to go from A to B, you will take a Ryan Air flight.

Since when Qantas and Etihad become top 10 cheapest airlines. My experience tells me a different story and take this listing with a grain of salt.

Not sure about Etihad, but majority of Qantas Group is budget airline. Qantas own Qantas Airways, QantasLink (Budget region airline), JetConnect (budget trans-Tasman airline), Jetstar (Budget regional/international airlines), Qantas also charter out QLink service to smaller contractor like Cobham Aviation.

If you count the fleet size, Qantas subsidiaries own twice as many aircraft than Qantas Airline themselves.

They have budget airline subsidiaries and budget routes.

Fair enough, but the incidence/accident rate is largely about the same for everyone when you do on per km/per passenger normalised basis....and still 1000's time safer than road travel at any stretch by same metric.

I would stay away from countries airlines that do not have strong legal framework (example a FAR-based aviation regime especially) however, esp for travel between or within such countries (given only developed countries do impose sanctions on their end)....budget airlines or not.

Safety is not controlled by the carrier nor the country that carrier registered in, but the standard is from ICAO, any A, B, C, D check you do in the world are the same and regardless of your airline status, Aircraft are mandated a maintenance regime that calculated based on the cycle, and if a company fail to do that, the airplane is then grounded.

There are no way for any airline, budget or otherwise to skip on safety checks, you can maximize the effective of aircraft between each cycle, unless you want to use an aircraft without registration, (which you cannot land in any reputable airport) budget airline would be going thru the same, if not more, safety check than other airline.

There are no way for any airline, budget or otherwise to skip on safety checks, you can maximize the effective of aircraft between each cycle, unless you want to use an aircraft without registration, (which you cannot land in any reputable airport) budget airline would be going thru the same, if not more, safety check than other airline.

That's what I was getting at actually. But I guess I am discussing with @waz more on the top tier auditing past the basic safety (mandated) regulations. The sensitivity to extra tier stuff like that is pretty low imo (esp if you are in a developed part of the world), but it gives a way to discern in these rankings I suppose.

That's what I was getting at actually. But I guess I am discussing with @waz more on the top tier auditing past the basic safety (mandated) regulations. The sensitivity to extra tier stuff like that is pretty low imo (esp if you are in a developed part of the world), but it gives a way to discern in these rankings I suppose.

Well, I know what you mean, most people have this type of thinking toward low budget or ultra-low budget airline. People are concerned that low budget airline would make simply "Enough" safety feature to satisfy the requirement. And with minimal or lacking oversight (or in your word, "audit")

While it may have happened before (many Indonesian airline that crashes are with bad safety record) but it's gradually moving toward a safer environment, because simply people think that way, and that is bad for business.

The founder of Easyjet (British low budget airline) once said, "if you think safety is expensive, try an accident" That summed up pretty nicely on how budget airline view on aviation safety. For nominal (National Carrier or large Carrier) you can afford one or two or more (if you are Korean Airline) accident and still survive, for a budget airline, once you have an accident, that's basically the end of your business. That is the reason why I say sometime Budget Airline is actually safer to fly than the big one.

Anyway, it wasn't that much of a different money wise to keep the safety standard up with the big dog out there, because these day and age, most safety requirement were done when you purchase the aircraft, what next is crew training, and providing more safety equipment (from extra fire extinguisher to even floating raft). The first part (Crew Training) is basically filled by taking on or recycling crew from large airline, larger airline (like Qantas, or BA) would generally refresh their crew every once in a while, while it happened more on Cabin Crew than Pilot, but the standard remain unchanged, because they are trained by those capital airlines. However, you can argue most budget airline hire inexperience FO for cheaper to compensate the salary of the pilot, (actually really cheap, a friend of mine work as a FO for Tiger Air and earn 30 grand a year) but still if you are qualify to fly, experience of flying does not necessary translate to safety.

Then there are inflight equipment, that actually didn't change much if you have the extra bits and pieces, because it is basically safe to fly with the stuff you are already onboard, which make the extra bit redundant, it will certain make you feel better but in reality, that's basically useless, I mean in an inflight fire, you wouldn't be safer just because you have 1 or 2 extra fire extinguisher, if you already have 6 (FAA minimal requirement, 2 in cockpit, 2 in each galley)

By the way, this is my wife actual Qantas Uniform she wear when she was a hostess herself.

20180529_111056.jpg

Back
Top Bottom