What's new

World leaders back one-China policy

The United States has acknowledged the Chinese position that there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of China.

Yet he'll continue with the Taiwan Relations Act and likely cheerfully authorise another billion or two of mlitary hardware.

How come the Taiwanese don't want a one-China? :)

A Chinese mainland spokesperson said Wednesday that Beijing will issue policies to support and attract
Taiwanese to work and live on the mainland.

Great idea. :enjoy:

The mother tongue of most Taiwanese is Standard Mandarin so there is no language barrier when they work and live on the Mainland.

Peaceful reunification must be our ultimate goal. As it was written in the opening lines of the Three Kingdoms, that which has been long united will divide, and that which has long been divided will unite.

How come the Taiwanese don't want a one-China? :)

The ROC also believes in One China. The difference is that they think the ROC is the rightful Government of all China, whereas most of the world has abandoned recognition of them in favor of the PRC (including the USA and India).

The ROC also believes in One China. The difference is that they think the ROC is the rightful Government of all China, whereas most of the world has abandoned recognition of them in favor of the PRC (including the USA and India).

I am aware of what they want. But why do they not want to integrate with the PRC? [in other words why do they think the PRC is not the rightful China?]

I am aware of what they want. But why do they not want to integrate with the PRC? [in other words why do they think the PRC is not the rightful China?]

It is a leftover from the Chinese Civil War.

The ROC was the original government of China, recognized all over the world. Even after losing the Civil War and fleeing to Taiwan, they maintain they are still the rightful Government of "all China".

However, the rest of the world doesn't agree. All major countries have dropped all diplomatic relations with Taiwan. The USA abandoned Taiwan in 1979, and recognized the PRC instead. India did it much sooner, they abandoned Taiwan only a few years after their independence from Britain.

Right now the only countries in the world that still have diplomatic recognition of the ROC are a handful of small African nations and island nations in the Pacific Ocean. Mostly because of economic incentives, and because of an agreement between the PRC and the ROC in which we would not poach from each other.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-trump-china-xi-idUKKBN15P0D0
Trump backs 'One China' policy in call with China's Xi

By Ben Blanchard and Steve Holland | BEIJING/WASHINGTON

U.S. President Donald Trump agreed to honour the longstanding "One China" policy during a phone call with Chinese President Xi Jinping, taking steps to improve ties after angering Beijing by talking to the leader of Taiwan.

Trump further unnerved Beijing over the self-ruled island in December saying the United States did not necessarily have to stick to the policy. The United States has acknowledged the Chinese position that there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of China.

A White House statement said Trump and Xi had a lengthy phone conversation on Thursday night Washington time.

"President Trump agreed, at the request of President Xi, to honour our 'One China' policy," the statement said.

The two leaders had not spoken by telephone since Trump took office on Jan. 20.

Diplomatic sources in Beijing say China had been nervous about Xi being left humiliated in the event a call with Trump went wrong and the details were leaked to the media.

Last week, U.S. ties with staunch ally Australia became strained after the Washington Post published details about an acrimonious phone call between Trump and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

The two sides also signalled that with the "One China" issue resolved, they could have more normal relations.

"Representatives of the United States and China will engage in discussions and negotiations on various issues of mutual interest," the statement said.

In a separate statement read out on Chinese state television, Xi said China appreciated Trump's upholding of the "One China" policy.

"I believe that the United States and China are cooperative partners, and through joint efforts we can push bilateral relations to a historic new high," the statement cited Xi as saying.

"The development of China and the United States absolutely can complement each other and advance together. Both sides absolutely can become very good cooperative partners," Xi said.

"EXTREMELY CORDIAL"

China wants cooperation with the United States on trade, investment, technology, energy and infrastructure, as well as strengthening coordination on international matters to jointly protect global peace and stability, Xi said.

"China is proactively dedicated to harmonious coexistence with all countries in the world," he added.

The White House described the call as "extremely cordial" with both leaders expressing best wishes to their peoples.

"They also extended invitations to meet in their respective countries. President Trump and President Xi look forward to further talks with very successful outcomes," the White House statement said.

The call came hours before Trump plays host to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

China has repeatedly said it has smooth contacts with the Trump team. The Foreign Ministry in Beijing said last week the two countries were remaining "in close touch".

That contact has been led by China's top diplomat, State Councillor Yang Jiechi, who outranks the foreign minister.

Yang told Michael Flynn, Trump's National Security Advisor, last week that China hopes it can work with the United States to manage and control disputes and sensitive problems.

No issue is more sensitive to Beijing than Taiwan.

The United States switched diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to China in 1979, but is also Taiwan's biggest ally and arms supplier and is bound by legislation to help the island defend itself.

China has claimed sovereignty over Taiwan since 1949, when Mao Zedong's Communist forces won the Chinese civil war and Chiang Kai-shek's Nationalists fled to the island. China has vowed to bring Taiwan under its rule, by force if necessary.

There was little or no mention in either country's statements of other contentious issues - trade and the disputed South China Sea - and neither matter has gone away.

A U.S. official told Reuters on Thursday that a U.S. Navy P-3 plane and a Chinese military aircraft came close to each other over the South China Sea, though the Navy believes the incident was inadvertent.

China on Friday reported an initial trade surplus of $51.35 billion for January, more than $21 billion of which was with the United States.

Trump broke the ice with Xi earlier in the week in a letter offering belated greetings for last month's Lunar New Year, a move broadly praised by Chinese state media as a positive sign.

In a front page commentary, the overseas edition of the People's Daily said the letter was an opening to help manage friction.

"There's a saying in China - good food is worth waiting for."

(Editing by Lincoln Feast)

And people were skeptical about me when back then I had claimed that Trump's direct call to Taiwan was just for public consumption and when he comes into power, things would be pretty same as were before. And here we go as I claimed :)

Last edited:
However, the rest of the world doesn't agree. All major countries have dropped all diplomatic relations with Taiwan. The USA abandoned Taiwan in 1979, and recognized the PRC instead. India did it much sooner, they abandoned Taiwan only a few years after their independence from Britain.

Off topic why do you keep bringing India into every post?

On topic - my question is why people in the ROC today (i.e.2017) seem uninterested in merging / assimilating with the PRC - especially now that China's economy is much better and some sort of one country-two systems formula can easily be implemented (as in HK). I mean - these people were born long after the civil war and most will not even remember a time when the ROC was officially recognised as China in the UN, etc. (1972) - and yet they desire to be independent. In fact the Kuomintang which was pro-China lost the last election.

Off topic why do you keep bringing India into every post?

On topic - my question is why people in the ROC today (i.e.2017) seem uninterested in merging / assimilating with the PRC - especially now that China's economy is much better and some sort of one country-two systems formula can easily be implemented (as in HK). I mean - these people were born long after the civil war and most will not even remember a time when the ROC was officially recognised as China in the UN, etc. (1972) - and yet they desire to be independent. In fact the Kuomintang which was pro-China lost the last election.

Polls show the vast majority of Taiwanese prefer to maintain the status quo. The KMT lost the last elections, but they won the time before that.

The truth is that Chinese people in general just prefer to maintain the status quo. In order to bring change we'll need to shake it up a bit.

I was still a kid in Hong Kong when the 1997 Handover came along. Back then people were afraid, there was a lot of scaremongering about "tanks rolling down the street" after Hong Kong returned to China.

But guess what? It all turned out to be BS, if anything my living standards in Hong Kong have actually improved post-handover. Maybe there are a lot of people in Taiwan who don't see that, however that will not stop the reunification of China. Once that happens they will be free to move to another country, same as what happened in Hong Kong.

China waited a hundred years to ensure that Hong Kong returned peacefully, without needing a war. We'll wait for a peaceful reunification with Taiwan as well, though this time I think the time limit is much tighter, a decade or so.

:lol:So as expected, trump back off

Of course. :lol:

Over a century ago, US President Theodore Roosevelt once said: "Speak softly, and carry a big stick".

Donald Trump seems to be doing the exact opposite. He speaks/screams at the top of his lungs about every stupid thing he can imagine, and apparently he is too senile to pick up the stick.

See how America has changed over 100 years. From the respectable Theodore Roosevelt to the current Donald Trump, which reflects the direction of American society as a whole.

Of course. :lol:

Over a century ago, US President Theodore Roosevelt once said: "Speak softly, and carry a big stick".

Donald Trump seems to be doing the exact opposite. He speaks/screams at the top of his lungs about every stupid thing he can imagine, and apparently he is too senile to pick up the stick.

See how America has changed over 100 years. From the respectable Theodore Roosevelt to the current Donald Trump, which reflects the direction of American society as a whole.
Trump is just a clown....
NYT is quite right about him, he is the biggest gift to China.

The call came hours before Trump plays host to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
--------------------------
good timing, Donald Trump is a seasoned businessman. Abe will have to pay more to get what he wants.

President Xi wont take a phone call from Trump until.........
000.jpg

Trump is just a clown....
NYT is quite right about him, he is the biggest gift to China.

Interesting, he has almost single-handedly presented a better image of China to the world by making the US look like a culprit and China as the savior of free trade and global connectivity.

I think he is hoping to negotiate from a higher vantage point by screaming right and left. But, the effects are not coming out according to his desire, people are simply looking for alternatives.

The US is not indispensable, but just another political entity, and it may take much longer until he grasps the reality.

Polls show the vast majority of Taiwanese prefer to maintain the status quo. The KMT lost the last elections, but they won the time before that.

The truth is that Chinese people in general just prefer to maintain the status quo. In order to bring change we'll need to shake it up a bit.

I was still a kid in Hong Kong when the 1997 Handover came along. Back then people were afraid, there was a lot of scaremongering about "tanks rolling down the street" after Hong Kong returned to China.

But guess what? It all turned out to be BS, if anything my living standards in Hong Kong have actually improved post-handover. Maybe there are a lot of people in Taiwan who don't see that, however that will not stop the reunification of China. Once that happens they will be free to move to another country, same as what happened in Hong Kong.

China waited a hundred years to ensure that Hong Kong returned peacefully, without needing a war. We'll wait for a peaceful reunification with Taiwan as well, though this time I think the time limit is much tighter, a decade or so.

The dispute is political, as you said very rightfully. It is neither ethnic, nor religious, nor cultural.

In almost all accounts, we are one and the same, including the most important component, the lingua franca Mandarin.

Honestly, when I travel to Mainland, it is for me nothing more of a dramatic change than moving from Taibei to Tainan in Taiwan. People realize different accents, for sure, but, when it comes to accents, there are also differences within Mainland and Taiwan, as well.

It is also a fact that more and mote young Taiwanese are looking up to Mainland when they make career plans.

The only obstacle is the political gridlock, which is worsened anytime the non-historical DPP gets elected. But still, this is cyclical. It is my estimation that Tsai will be a one-term president. Then, cross-Straits relations will make another major stride, like happened under past 8 years Ma government.

Mainland is doing a great service to historical Greater China by further removing barriers and ignoring small radical factions in Taiwan society.

Interesting, he has almost single-handedly presented a better image of China to the world by making the US look like a culprit and China as the savior of free trade and global connectivity.

He seems to be achieving the worst of both worlds. Like with his Muslim ban, which caused global anti-America protests to grow even larger than they were after his inauguration (no mean feat).

Yet his ban was immediately overturned by the courts.

So basically he destroyed America's reputation in much of the world, and still Muslim refugees from the Middle East continue to stream into America's borders. It's the definition of a lose-lose situation.

Back
Top Bottom