What's new

World Cup priority

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
World Cup priority

There is an England team who, although they were victorious in the last Ashes series, are putting their rivalry with Australia aside to concentrate on winning the World Cup.

Amidst the winter Ashes fever, England's blind cricket team travel to Pakistan to contest the third Blind Cricket World Cup, which begins on 4 December.

And despite the fuss Down Under, veteran batsman Tim Guttridge, who has not played competitively for England since the 2004 Ashes series triumph, is confident the England team in Pakistan know where their priorities lie.

"I would rather the England blind cricket side won the World Cup than England retain the Ashes," Guttridge told BBC Sport.

"I suppose that's because blind cricket is the level that I play at and winning would be a highlight for the whole squad.

"But the England management will keep us up to date with the Ashes scores so we'll know how England are getting on.

"Hopefully, they'll be interested in how we're doing as well in the World Cup."

England's blind cricketers will meet old rivals Australia in a series of round-robin matches, where each of the eight teams will play each other once.

Pakistan are the defending champions and will be strong on home soil alongside 1998 winners South Africa, while New Zealand, Sri Lanka, India and debutants the West Indies will be in the mix.

HOW BLIND CRICKET DIFFERS
Ball is the same size as a normal cricket ball, but rattles so player can hear it
Ball is bowled underarm and all players can be stumped
The ball must bounce twice before it gets halfway down the pitch and must bounce again before reaching a totally blind batsman
Bowler must ask the batsman if he is ready before beginning his run up and shout "play" as he releases the ball
A totally blind fielder can make a catch after the ball has bounced once

England go into the tournament ranked as the world number three and reached the semi-finals four years ago in Chennai. This time Guttridge is predicting the team could go even further.

"We have a very good chance of reaching the final if everyone plays well," Guttridge said.

"We've had some good practice session in the nets and everyone feels excited and is playing well.

"There is certainly no lack of confidence and we really just need things to go our way."

England take a 17-man squad to Pakistan and hope to strike the right chord with a mix of youth and experience.

The squad includes uncapped Mark Turnham, promising teenagers Luke Sugg and Dan Field, all from Warwickshire, and has a not-so-secret weapon in former South Africa captain Rory Field, who qualifies as a British resident.

"Rory was captain and coach for South Africa at the last World Cup and is one of the best players in the world," said Guttridge, who is set to open the batting with Field.

"We have a few experienced players in the squad - and by that I mean fairly elderly, I am 49 and David Townley is 55. At the other end we have two or three very good teenagers."

Guttridge is considered a star of the England side and was persuaded out of retirement after back surgery to add his nous to the group making the trip to Islamabad.

Guttridge is back at the crease for England after two years in retirement

"A few people were on at me to get back playing and I thought I'd give it one more go," said Guttridge.

"I really missed playing and missed the friendship too. I think this will probably be my last World Cup but never say never."

Guttridge will not only return to the field in Pakistan. His role as vice chairman of the World Blind Cricket Council finds him monitoring the progress of the West Indies, whom he introduced to blind cricket four years ago.

There are now around 26 nations who play blind cricket and plans are underway to develop the sport still further.

"It will be a proud moment for me when the West Indies play at the World Cup," said Guttridge.

"It is their first international competition and I'm looking forward to them being there. They are a fantastic bunch of people, they are great fans and they play cricket hard.

"Cricket is just not cricket without the West Indies being part of it. Of course, if we play them in the semi-finals or final then my loyalty will lie with England.

"There is still a long way to go for blind cricket. We have a lot to do in Africa and I'd like to see more in Europe but more and more people are being given the opportunity to play."

And Guttridge agrees there will be no better showcase for the sport than a World Cup in Pakistan, where matches are even being televised.

"We expect very large and very loud crowds," said Guttridge. "Some of the group games and the semi-finals and final are being shown live on Pakistan television.

"Having that sort of atmosphere around us will definitely spur us on."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/disability_sport/6170832.stm

Back
Top Bottom