What's new

Woman describes shock after parents die of coronavirus in Belfast

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/30/woman-parents-mother-father-die-coronavirus-belfast

An absolute tragedy to see both parents die from this virus:

"A woman has spoken of her shock and grief after her parents died of coronavirus at the weekend.

Christopher Vallely, 79, died on Sunday in the Mater hospital in Belfast, hours after his wife, Isobel, 77, died in the same hospital room. Both had tested positive for Covid-19.

The couple, who lived near the Falls Road in west Belfast, had three children and had been married for 53 years on Friday.

Christopher, who was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, was admitted to hospital and placed in isolation 10 days ago after showing symptoms. Isobel, who had a stroke last year, was admitted on Thursday and died on Saturday night.

Christopher was moved to the room she had occupied after his condition worsened. He died 12 hours after his wife.

Speaking to the Irish News, their daughter Fiona Vallely said: “Both had underlying heath issues, but it’s a shock to lose both your parents. They would have done anything for anybody. They were fantastic people and they did not deserve to go this way.”

Play Video
2:51
British man describes 'gut-wrenching pain' of losing mother to coronavirus – video
Meanwhile, 17 members of a family from the West Midlands have either contracted the virus or are showing symptoms of it, including one who died after attending a family funeral this month.

Susan Nelson, 65, died of suspected coronavirus last week after attending her aunt’s funeral on 13 March. Nelson’s daughter Amanda said: “Our beautiful, caring mum was the centre of the family – we are a very close, large family and this has destroyed us.”

Quick guide

What to do if you have coronavirus symptoms in the UK
Show
Amanda, a 34-year-old business support manger for the NHS, tested positive for the virus last Sunday. She said she was worried that at least one other family member was about to succumb to the disease.

“We now have someone else in our family in hospital that’s probably not going to survive it,” she said.

Share your story
Share your stories

If you have been affected or have any information, we'd like to hear from you. You can get in touch by filling in the form below, anonymously if you wish or contact us via WhatsApp by clicking here or adding the contact +44(0)7867825056. Only the Guardian can see your contributions and one of our journalists may contact you to discuss further.

Tell us
She wrote on Facebook: “My family is suffering so much thanks to this bloody virus, and it breaks my heart to speak to them on the phone and hear how unwell they all are.”

She said the 16 surviving members who had either tested positive or were showing symptoms ranged in age from 21 to 88."

Many sad stories from all over the world. I am reminded of the stories my Grand Father told me about the 1918 flu pandemic in the Lahore region. In many cases only a few members of a family survived. History repeats itself.

Back
Top Bottom