What's new

Witness To A Kill

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
While PAF claimed amongst others, two IAF MiG-21s shot down in the opening days of the 1971 war in the Eastern sector, the Indian authorities deny this, under the circumstances, most of No 14 Squadron's records, the lone PAF unit based in the erstwhile East Pakistan, were either destroyed or left behind as the squadron personal were withdrawn from that sector, interestingly, I have come across an eyewitness's account of that particular aerial battle over Dacca.

I FOUND it amusing when I heard a senior Indian Air Force officer say on TV that the PAF was behaving in an erratic manner because they did not have any answer to the Indian Air Force’s superiority in numbers. I may have fallen for this hype had I not been an eye-witness to one of the dogfights involving IAF and PAF on the last occasion these two adversaries clashed.

It was the morning of December 4, 1971, at about 0730 hours, when I noticed two Indian Mig-21 fighters circling over our roof in the old part of Dacca, not far from the banks of the river Buriganga. Within a minute I saw a lone PAF Sabre F-86 coming towards them from the cantonment area.

One could easily see that the Mig-21 was much faster than the Sabre and in a moment it was behind the Sabre and fired a burst that missed. The Sabre immediately started climbing towards the morning sun at an angle of 70 degrees. The Mig-21 tried to do the same but because of its faster speed it came to the wrong angle and the Indian pilot may have found himself momentarily blinded, just as we were while watching the manoeuvres from the ground.

In a flash the Sabre was now behind the Mig-21 and began strafing it. The Mig-21 burst into flames, stunning us with some vivid pyrotechnics, as it were, which so closely resembled a scene from a Hollywood war movie. The Sabre then turned and fired at the second Mig-21, which was trying to leave the scene, and at once scored another hit, and this Mig-21 could be seen hurtling down, followed by multiple loud explosions.

I remember my father paying someone for a part of the fallen plane which, in fact, was brought to us in the afternoon. I also remember how we had to quietly bury this part in our backyard when we saw Indian forces entering Dacca on December 17, 1971.

The scene I have just described took place 37 years ago but has remained etched in my memory ever since. I salute that unknown Pakistani pilot who shot down two Mig-21s in a matter of minutes right before my eyes.

I could never know whether the PAF pilot survived the war or was taken to India as a POW. When I finally came over to Karachi through the International Committee of the Red Cross in 1975, the subject was not a popular one and nobody wanted to be reminded of the time when Dhaka was a part of Pakistan.

The past had, indeed, become another country. From what I had personally witnessed of the PAF’s performance and capability while in possession of just a handful of obsolete aircraft in 1971, I can safely say that the PAF today, with its present squadrons of F-16s and Mirages, will be more than a match for the IAF. The Indian Air Force will rue the day if they ever dared to go for the so-called ‘surgical strikes’ within the present borders of Pakistan.

ZAHID ISLAM

Saudi Arabia

:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:
Jimmy, kya bol diya yaar. Main to dargaya. :omghaha:

It reminds me my signature.

While PAF claimed amongst others, two IAF MiG-21s shot down in the opening days of the 1971 war in the Eastern sector, the Indian authorities deny this, under the circumstances, most of No 14 Squadron's records, the lone PAF unit based in the erstwhile East Pakistan, were either destroyed or left behind as the squadron personal were withdrawn from that sector, interestingly, I have come across eyewitness's account of that particular aerial battle over Dacca.

I FOUND it amusing when I heard a senior Indian Air Force officer say on TV that the PAF was behaving in an erratic manner because they did not have any answer to the Indian Air Force’s superiority in numbers. I may have fallen for this hype had I not been an eye-witness to one of the dogfights involving IAF and PAF on the last occasion these two adversaries clashed.

It was the morning of December 4, 1971, at about 0730 hours, when I noticed two Indian Mig-21 fighters circling over our roof in the old part of Dacca, not far from the banks of the river Buriganga. Within a minute I saw a lone PAF Sabre F-86 coming towards them from the cantonment area.

One could easily see that the Mig-21 was much faster than the Sabre and in a moment it was behind the Sabre and fired a burst that missed. The Sabre immediately started climbing towards the morning sun at an angle of 70 degrees. The Mig-21 tried to do the same but because of its faster speed it came to the wrong angle and the Indian pilot may have found himself momentarily blinded, just as we were while watching the manoeuvres from the ground.

In a flash the Sabre was now behind the Mig-21 and began strafing it. The Mig-21 burst into flames, stunning us with some vivid pyrotechnics, as it were, which so closely resembled a scene from a Hollywood war movie. The Sabre then turned and fired at the second Mig-21, which was trying to leave the scene, and at once scored another hit, and this Mig-21 could be seen hurtling down, followed by multiple loud explosions.

I remember my father paying someone for a part of the fallen plane which, in fact, was brought to us in the afternoon. I also remember how we had to quietly bury this part in our backyard when we saw Indian forces entering Dacca on December 17, 1971.

The scene I have just described took place 37 years ago but has remained etched in my memory ever since. I salute that unknown Pakistani pilot who shot down two Mig-21s in a matter of minutes right before my eyes.

I could never know whether the PAF pilot survived the war or was taken to India as a POW. When I finally came over to Karachi through the International Committee of the Red Cross in 1975, the subject was not a popular one and nobody wanted to be reminded of the time when Dhaka was a part of Pakistan.

The past had, indeed, become another country. From what I had personally witnessed of the PAF’s performance and capability while in possession of just a handful of obsolete aircraft in 1971, I can safely say that the PAF today, with its present squadrons of F-16s and Mirages, will be more than a match for the IAF. The Indian Air Force will rue the day if they ever dared to go for the so-called ‘surgical strikes’ within the present borders of Pakistan.

ZAHID ISLAM

Saudi Arabia

AFAIK, India admitted loss of 1 (or may be 2, I can't recollect) in western sector. This was said to be on ground (infact, while refueling). Since PAF claimed that it destroyed entire MiG squad, IAF paraded journalist in front of all the MiGs but except 1 (or 2) less.

It was a war which occurred some 40 years ago. Who cares. The point is that India split Pakistan in two and now we have an ungrateful Bangladesh on our doorstep.

AFAIK, India admitted loss of 1 (or may be 2, I can't recollect) in western sector. This was said to be on ground (infact, while refueling). Since PAF claimed that it destroyed entire MiG squad, IAF paraded journalist in front of all the MiGs but except 1 (or 2) less.

Now that's what's called mixing your Apples and Oranges, the subject is the 1971 air war in the erstwhile East Pakistan and not the PAF's devastating strike on Pathankot in 1965. !!

Now that's what's called mixing your Apples and Oranges, the subject is the 1971 air war in the erstwhile East Pakistan and not the PAF's devastating strike on Pathankot in 1965. !!

You are correct, my bad. Over and out...

come on mate we are debating a non issue as there is not even a source link.:)

There are plenty of sources, but the issue seems to be with digestion.
seems 71 still leaves a bad taste in some , even 40 yrs on. :)

Is that why Indian warlords claim they could have done this and that in 1962 or 1965.

There are plenty of sources, but the issue seems to be with digestion.

Is that why Indian warlords claim they could have done this and that in 1962 or 1965.

Its seems elite members here can just ignore rules of starting threads with links. us mere mortals get infractions. :)

do elaborate which Indian warlords you are referring too:D

Back
Top Bottom