What's new

With eye on Turkey, Arabs look to mend ties with Al Assad

bsruzm

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Ankara’s invasion of Syria and meddling in Libya’s war prompts call for action

Copy-of-Syria_34468.jpg-2d3b4-1576994596444_16f2c33e65d_large.jpg

"Damascus: Several indicators are coming out of Damascus, signaling that a rapprochement with the Arab World might be in the works, aimed at countering Turkish occupation of Syrian lands.

Both Syria and moderate states in the region have a common enemy in the Qatar-based, Turkish supported Muslim Brotherhood, a terrorist organization outlawed in Riyadh, Abu Dhabi, Cairo, and Damascus.

In addition to jointly criticizing the Turkish invasion of northeast Syria, which started on October 9, 2019, these Arab capitals aim at luring Syria away from the Iranian orbit.

Turkey’s expansionism in the Arab World, its support for the Egyptian Brotherhood, and its recent backing of the Brotherhood-affiliated government of Fayez Al Sarraj in Libya have raised eyebrows throughout the region, highlighting the need for joint action against Ankara’s territorial and political ambitions.

“A rapprochement with Damascus would be hitting two birds with one stone,” said the London-based Syrian analyst Danny Makki.

Speaking to Gulf News, he added: “Soft power works and it can be used to make Syria a huge ally for the Arab World in its hall of mirrors clash with Turkey and Iran.”

Re-opening of the Saudi embassy
On December 6, 2019, Russia Today ran a story saying that renovation of the Saudi embassy in Damascus was currently underway, claiming that it was “just a matter of time” before it re-opens.

No denial or confirmation was issued either by Syrian or Saudi officials.

Ten days later, the Saudi daily Okaz ran another report, this time saying that “indicators” were showing that the nearly ten-year Arab boycott of Syrian President Bashar Al Assad was coming to an end.

Syrian officials in Riyadh
Coinciding with both reports was a visit to Riyadh by a delegation from the state-affiliated Syrian Journalists Syndicate, headed by its president Mousa Abdul Nour.

It was the first visit of Syrian officials to the Saudi capital since bilateral relations were suspended in August 2011.

It could not have happened without an official invitation from Saudi Arabia, and approval from Syrian authorities.

Since February 2019, state-run Syrian media has visibly changed note on Saudi Arabia, muzzling all previous criticism of the kingdom.

Its television, websites, news agency and newspapers have muzzled all criticism of Saudi Arabia, focusing only on Qatar and Turkey as the source of all evil in the Arab World, which was music to the ears of Saudi officials.

Since assuming office last October, Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal Ibn Farhan Al Saud has refrained from criticizing or even mentioning Syria in any of his speeches.

A rapprochement-in-progress
Signs of cautious normalization started appearing in September 2018, when Bahraini Foreign Minister Khaled Bin Ahmad Al Khalifa warmly embraced his Syrian counterpart Walid Al Mouallem at the UN General Assembly, live on television.

Khalid_Walid_16f2c3c28f1_original-ratio.jpg

Bahrain's foreign minister Sheikh Khalid Bin Ahmad Al Khalifa (right) with Syrian foreign minister Walid Mu'allem

That footage was first aired not by Syrian television but by the Saudi channel, Al Arabiya.

The very next day, the Bahraini Minister appeared on Al Arabiya, saying that Arab states would never allow Syria’s future to be monopolized by non-Arab regional states, in clear reference to Iran and Turkey.

He added: “We deal with the Syrian government and not those who are trying to bring it down,” a clear reference to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The UAE embassy in Damascus
Then, in December 2018, the UAE re-opened its embassy in Damascus, followed suit by Jordan and Bahrain.

Then came the re-opening of the Syrian-Jordanian borders, throwing an economic lifeline to Damascus while hoping that this would reduce its dependence on Tehran.

Earlier this month, the UAE Charge d’Affaires in Damascus, Abdul Hakim Al Nouaimi held a reception on the UAE National Day, attended by Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad.

Raising the ire of the Muslim Brotherhood, Nouami said that Abu Dhabi was hoping that calm is restored to Syria “under the wise leadership of President Bashar Al Assad.”

Mekdad reciprocated, saying: “Syria will never forget the UAE standing by Syria’s side in its war on terrorism.”

Return to Arab League conditional
Several Arab countries, headed by Iraq, Algeria, and Lebanon, have been lobbying to restore Syria’s membership in the Arab League, suspended at the start of the conflict back in 2011.
Saudi Arabia has reportedly not objected, with the specific objective of bringing the war-torn country back into the Arab family of nations, in order to minimize Iranian influence.

The strongest objection came from Qatar, which blocked a comeback ahead of the 2019 Arab summit in Tunisia.

The League has made it clear that there are two conditions that Damascus has to abide by before its membership is restored: distancing itself from Iran and implementing UNSCR 2254, which calls for the launch of a constitutional process, followed by election to end the Syrian conflict."

With eye on Turkey, Arabs look to mend ties with Al Assad

The Emirati (or whoever wrote that article) is giving too much importance to the role of Turkey which is negligible at best.
This called licking your own vomit!!!

I thought it was 'drinking your own bathwater'

Not really as it is only the Al-Assad regime and its allies that are responsible for what they did or are doing. Not 500 million Arabs collectively.

A genuine independent Syrian opposition does not exist for years now. It is unfortunate as the Al-Assad regime is trash and that incompetent family has a long history of internal Arab treachery.

Having said that, Syria's integrity as an Arab nation and country trumps the regime and eventually peace should be the key for Syria to move forward. The Al-Assad regime is not going to last forever and there have already been many changes since 2011 in personal within the Al-Assad regime and some mistakes have been corrected internally and foreign policy wise.

Also it was the Al-Assad regime that was/is reaching out to Arab states. I don't think that they want Russian and other foreing presence to remain forever, nor do the Russian people want
their country to waste/spend huge sums of money in Syria and lives. The Russian people want their soldiers home.

As for the Al-Assad regime, there are already internal conflicts within pro-Russia and pro-Mullah fractions. With the pro-Russian front winning. So an Arab front (that the Al-Assad regime would always support if peace was restored due to ideology alone and money, power, geography and potential) will eventually replace the Russian one and chase the few remnant Mullah influences away.

The Arab regimes should not allow fellow Arab countries to turn into foreign brothels. Internal Arab issues and conflicts should be solved by Arabs (preferably) despite the whole world meddling and Arab resources (which the same world is obsessed about) should stick in Arab hands.

A normalization with Syria is far greater and of more importance than the Al-Assad regime itself.

Also, as bad as Al-Assad is, the prospect of a Western infected sect (MB) ruling Syria (potentially) is not exactly great either. We saw what happened in Egypt and how Egyptian security was compromised with Morsi running to Israel and the West and selling Egypt out to Qatar and the AKP Arab wannabes in power.

Last edited:
This is something @HannibalBarca doesn't seem to get. Same applies to Libya

Pragmatism and logic alone should dictate what to do.

Al-Assad is going nowhere for the time being. The last decade (almost) has proven that and after Russia entered the last glimmer of hope for those who want him gone, disappeared.

So the choice is easy, you ignore, neglect and pretend that Syria (Al-Assad regime) does not exist and handle Syria over to foreigners (while forgetting the Syrian people) and let the foreigners dictate what is an Syrian/Arab matter that Arabs should be solving jointly/themselves, or reach out and try to find compromises despite past hostilities and disagreements.

So it is a question do you want to be a an active part of deciding the future of Syria or helping influence it or do you want to sit back and watch while others are doing it. It is as simple as that, politics is a dirty game.

It is simple, some Arab states wanted a MB project to succeed, others wanted a removal of a pro-Mullah regime, others something third and Syrians were divided as well with religion influenced ones (wanting Syrian Sunni Arab dominance = the vast majority of Syrians) and the Alawi elite desperately holding into power in fear of what would happen if they lost it with nationalists, secularists, "Islamists" etc. fighting within Syria itself.

While we speak, KSA/Arab coalition/Yemeni government and Houthis are negotiating as well without any foreign interference. This is the way forward.

Similarly with recent negotiations with Qatar.

EDIT: Turkey (Erdogan) itself has been reaching out to Al-Assad for years as well. Not exactly news either.

This is something @HannibalBarca doesn't seem to get. Same applies to Libya

When respect is lost... it's over...
ASSad reconciliation/peace is not-possible with 500+K death and 10Mil refugees...
YOu guys may think it's possible... and Some Arab gov also believe that... But The majority of Syrian do not... and THEY are the key... not what some Politician say or wish to do...

ASSad is willing to deal with anyone at this point...just to stay in power... Yesterday it was Iran... Hezb, then RU... and if having some Arabs on his side... he wouldn't be against it...
ASSad in itself is not the problem... the Whole ASSadist syst is the problem... YOu guys are Arabs... and I believe you guys read Arabic... then start to follow the Main Arabic Thinkers under The Regime... and we will see if you still got that "Reality"...

The basic thing for Unity... is to remove those who are willing to sell/bargain with loyalty... and ASSad is one of them... same for HAftar... You guys are for an Arabism... I am too... But NOT AT ANY COST...

In Syria... the Arab notion is long gone... it's an ideological one who took roots... And let's be clear... They see you guys as rotten as the MB...

When respect is lost... it's over...
ASSad reconciliation/peace is not-possible with 500+K death and 10Mil refugees...
YOu guys may think it's possible... and Some Arab gov also believe that... But The majority of Syrian do not... and THEY are the key... not what some Politician say or wish to do...

ASSad is willing to deal with anyone at this point...just to stay in power... Yesterday it was Iran... Hezb, then RU... and if having some Arabs on his side... he wouldn't be against it...
ASSad in itself is not the problem... the Whole ASSadist syst is the problem... YOu guys are Arabs... and I believe you guys read Arabic... then start to follow the Main Arabic Thinker under The Regime... and we will see if you still got that "Reality"...

The basic thing for Unity... is to remove those who are willing to sell/bargain with loyalty... and ASSad is one of them... same for HAftar... You guys are for an Arabism... I am too... But NOT AT ANY COST...

The reality is that if the vast, vast majority of Syrians wanted the Al-Assad regime gone, they would have succeeded ages ago. Long before Russian interference.

When you live in a Ba'athi state for 40-50 + years in a row and are indoctrinated and live a relatively peaceful life, while seeing the fruits of the Arab Spring elsewhere or Iraq next door post 2003, you don't want to risk changing the entire status quo for an unknown future.

ISIS/radicals highjacking the Syrian opposition for years and doing lots of destruction within Syria, did obviously not help either.

I am not a fan of either Al-Assad and Haftar. Don't care about any of them. I care about Libya and Syria as countries and people and their integrity (territorial) and future (resources being in their own hands, them having their own sovereign policy) and if that is impossible to keep due to instability, I prefer fellow Arabs to "meddle" and have influence over that of foreigners, who are hostile and have historically been that whether they are of the Western or regional variety.

I think that anyone who knows me on PDF knows how much I am against the Al-Assad regime. It is no secret.

So it is a question do you want to be a an active part of deciding the future of Syria or helping influence it or do you want to sit back and watch while others are doing it at your expense? It is as simple as that, politics is a dirty game, geopolitics even more so.

EDIT: Let us be clear here, Syrians love their country and land, and they have a strong attachment/identity. This is not some rootless people who are guided by purely ideology. This is partially what has saved Al-Assad as well.

Last edited:
The reality is that if the vast, vast majority of Syrians wanted the Al-Assad regime gone, they would have succeeded ages ago. Long before Russian interference.

When you live in a Ba'athi state for 40-50 + years in a row and are indoctrinated and live a relatively peaceful life, while seeing the fruits of the Arab Spring elsewhere or Iraq next door post 2003, you don't want to risk changing the entire status quo for an unknown future.

ISIS/radicals highjacking the Syrian opposition for years and doing lots of destruction within Syria, did obviously not help either.

I am not a fan of either Al-Assad and Haftar. Don't care about any of them. I care about Libya and Syria as countries and people and their integrity (territorial) and future (resources being in their own hands, them having their own sovereign policy) and if that is impossible to keep due to instability, I prefer fellow Arabs to "meddle" and have influence over that of foreigners, who are hostile and have historically been that whether they are of the Western or regional variety.

I think that anyone who knows me on PDF knows how much I am against the Al-Assad regime. It is no secret.

So it is a question do you want to be a an active part of deciding the future of Syria or helping influence it or do you want to sit back and watch while others are doing it at your expense? It is as simple as that, politics is a dirty game, geopolitics even more so.

ISIS/AQ power came after a power void, when RU came in... therefore after the few beginning years of the revo... If RU didn't came in... ASSad would have been long gone... and no ISIS/AQ... since the Free Syrian Army back in the days were "Nationalist"... The Irony...

That's also why at that time Some Arab gov were funding those groups against ASSad/Iran influence... And such move pushed ASSad to use the "sectarian card" and the famous... " I fall and the Wahabi will be here" and" Shiia would be slaughtered"... and so on...

But The Yemen military crisis started... and fund mostly stopped... and here come the one who was absent since the beginning of the Syrian Crisis... Turkey... who filled the void... by Influence and equipments...

ISIS/AQ power came after a power void, when RU came in... therefore after the few beginning years of the revo... If RU didn't came in... ASSad would have been long gone... and no ISIS/AQ... since the Free Syrian Army back in the days were "Nationalist"... The Irony...

That's also why at that time Some Arab gov were funding those groups against ASSad/Iran influence... And such move pushed ASSad to use the "sectarian card" and the famous... " I fall and the Wahabi will be here" and" Shiia would be slaughtered"... and so on...

But The Yemen military crisis started... and fund mostly stopped... and here come the one who was absent since the beginning of the Syrian Crisis... Turkey... who filled the void... by Influence and equipments...

ISIS/AQ/Al-Nusra etc. were already present long before Russia intervened. They controlled a huge landmass stretching from the western outskirts of Baghdad all the way to Daraa.
The same elements were hunting down/killing/fighting against the genuine Syrian opposition. The Syrian Sunni Arab "nationalistic/patriotic" element if you like with "moderate Islamists" being a part of that group as well. Or at least the two parties were not at conflict as the ISIS/AQ maniacs who did everything in their power to destroy the Syrian opposition and scare everyone away from the Syrian opposition due to successful Al-Assad regime propaganda of either me or ISIS.

I don't understand your last sentence, and I don't agree that Turkey was passive. In fact they were the most active part in the neighborhood since day 1 due to simple geography and being the strongest neighboring state of Syria with an unstable Iraq next door, a Jordan with not much room for maneuver and Lebanon is best not to mention either. They alongside their allies in Qatar (the pro-MB axis) used the most energy media wise and money/logistic wise to try to remove Al-Assad.

KSA's sole objective was to remove a pro-Mullah regime if given the opportunity. So everyone involved had/have their own visions. Russia might be on the same side as the Mullah's on paper but in reality they have totally different end goals, ideologies and have been clashing for years with power struggles left and right until mostly the Russian/Al-Assad ("Arab nationalist" side won over the Shia/Alawi pan-Islamist part closely allied to Hezbollah and the Mullah's).

Arabs should be thanking Turkey, after their Syrian operation to clear YPG the whole country is the calmest it has been for years, and the US presence has been diminished. If it was left to the GCC the US would have been paid to set up bases.

Arabs should be thanking Turkey, after their Syrian operation to clear YPG the whole country is the calmest it has been for years, and the US presence has been diminished. If it was left to the GCC the US would have been paid to set up bases.

And I should thank America for helping us against Isis, after they bombed us a million times before that in the 2 decades prior

:lol:

How is that "clearing" going so far? It has been a miserable failure. Nor is there a difference between US or Russian involvement. It is all the same for patriotic/nationalistic Syrians who want to decide their own fate. Al-Assad only invited Russia out of necessity, not out of love or because he wants another party to take a part of his power and rely on that outsider (Russia) for his security.

As for US presence, it is still there and the US deep state (CIA) are and will continue to operate in Syria and the neighborhood regardless of who is doing what.

Anyway, this is quite ironic as one of the largest US bases (NATO is another word for a USA led/dominated coalition) in the region is located just across the Syrian border in Turkey (Incirlik) so I sense a strange example of either delusion or double standards.

Arabs (regimes in power) should not thank anyone (don't know for what other than cancerous infteference in the Arab world) but do what is needed/right in the Arab arena. It is as simple as that.

And I should thank America for helping us against Isis, after they bombed us a million times before that in the 2 decades prior

The irony when one of the largest US military bases in the region is located just across the border of Syria in Turkey and that same base was the headquarters in the attempt to remove Al-Assad initially. PDF.:lol:

:lol:

How is that "clearing" going so far? It has been a miserable failure. Nor is there a difference between US or Russian involvement. It is all the same for patriotic/nationalistic Syrians who want to decide their own fate. Al-Assad only invited Russia out of necessity, not out of love or because he wants another party to take a part of his power and rely on that outsider (Russia) for his security.

As for US presence, it is still there and the US deep state (CIA) are and will continue to operate in Syria and the neighborhood regardless of who is doing what.

Anyway, this is quite ironic as one of the largest US bases (NATO is another word for a USA led/dominated coalition) in the region is located just across the Syrian border in Turkey (Incirlik) so I sense a strange example of either delusion or double standards.

Arabs (regimes in power) should not want anyone but do what is needed/right in the Arab arena. It is as simple as that.

I don’t think the ‘clearing’ was possibly meant to be what we think it was. Obviously Turkish members will speak more, and some have criticised it for not going far enough.

But they were the only ones to send a message to the US who was quietly setting up a YPG state within Arab lands, all the while the Arab League didn’t even criticise the US’ presence in Syria. There is no question that since their operation, Syria is calmer & stabilised somewhat.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom