What's new

Windows 8 Opinion

Jade

Reaction score
Country
India
I plan to upgrade my Operating System to Windows 8.

Has anyone installed the preview version or RTM? What is your opinion? Is it worth upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

What...no opinion on Windows, an operating system that has a market share of over 95% in PC space(both legal and pirated :D)

Upgrade your PC & then give your expert advice to me...

I am waiting for it...:coffee:

if u have original windows 7 an upgrade will cost for just 800rs that too win 8 professional.
i say go for it.

Is it better to install Win 8 through a USB or DVD?

i once did a clean install through a USB, but even though it wiped the C Drive but i still could see a folder or two left over from my previous windows in the C drive. Wired if it was aa clean instal, no?

May be i should burn it to a DVD instead so that the DVD can 'format' my C drive before installation, coz i dont see any such option when installing windows a USB.

I have installed Windows 8 on my macbook pro and I have to say it's a very good operating system. There has been a lot of changes in the platform and it's really nice to see them but for me Mac Operating system is still better because of it's simplicity and personal choice up to certain extents.

Windows 8 is going to be a great platform for touch screen laptops but if you are willing to do everything with the mouse then it's definitely better than Windows 7 but you will not be able to take benefit of every feature offered by windows 8 and you may even stop using the new functions provided by windows 8 and treat it like windows 7 after few days. So if by any chance you have a touch screen laptop then go for it otherwise wait until more such laptops are released in the market.

My personal opinion only...

i was associated with windows 8 project work in India , though it is good with PC, It's mainly designed considering tabs,books,smart devices ,smart phones , other smaller touch s. devices.

Is it better to install Win 8 through a USB or DVD?

i once did a clean install through a USB, but even though it wiped the C Drive but i still could see a folder or two left over from my previous windows in the C drive. Wired if it was aa clean instal, no?

May be i should burn it to a DVD instead so that the DVD can 'format' my C drive before installation, coz i dont see any such option when installing windows a USB.
May be that was a clean install and the folders you see in the C drive were created for windows 8?

I have had bad experiences by burning the Windows 7 in to usb and installing from there so if you ask my preference, keeping the files in the hard drive and installing from the hard drive is preferred, after that burning in to dvd and then if no other choice then usb. I was able to install windows from the USB as well but there has been some incidents when the windows stopped responding during the installation and my USB couldn't completely install the windows in the laptop. But in your case it seems like you were able to install the full operating system in your laptop so I really see no reason why it was not a clean installation if it erased everything else...

I think better buy touch screen laptop with Windows 8 operating system.

I'm also planing to buy a new touch screen laptop with windows 8 operating system but i'm waiting for more info on it.

May be that was a clean install and the folders you see in the C drive were created for windows 8?

I have had bad experiences by burning the Windows 7 in to usb and installing from there so if you ask my preference, keeping the files in the hard drive and installing from the hard drive is preferred, after that burning in to dvd and then if no other choice then usb. I was able to install windows from the USB as well but there has been some incidents when the windows stopped responding during the installation and my USB couldn't completely install the windows in the laptop. But in your case it seems like you were able to install the full operating system in your laptop so I really see no reason why it was not a clean installation if it erased everything else...

i think missed to format the C drive, and simply clicked on install after i had selected the C drive. i also had a problem when i installed win 8 RTM (i dunno the version exactly, the one they were giving away for free) and had problems as the pc would stuck. i thought it was a bus in the RTM version. Now i that i have got original win 8, i will install it again via usb and see if there are any problems. i personally think installing win from USB is better than the DVD coz may be the DVD can miss some files as they wwere not written properly on the DVD from the iso image.

And when you say install from HD, do you mean to do it by creating a virtual DVD drive?

All i can say is, i miss the good old start menu :( - don't feel very productive on Win8, lots of clicking and moving involved. I am rolling back to Win 7 for now.

Back
Top Bottom