Windows 8 could be the next Vista

p(-)0ENiX

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Jamshed Avari
29 Aug, 2012
Windows 8 could be the next Vista

The general tone of the tech-familiar seems to be one of subdued resignation.

Things aren’t looking good for Windows 8. Developers and software professionals have been posting their impressions of the final version, known as the Release to Manufacturing build, since the middle of August, and the popular sentiment is not overwhelmingly positive. Microsoft has also made a 90-day trial available to the general public, though you’ll have to jump through a few hoops to get it (details are available here). This is the fourth public preview of what has turned into the biggest ever reinvention of the world’s most widely used operating system, so those who follow the tech press should be more or less familiar with what’s new. I’m trying to keep an open mind and will be spending the next few months with the RTM as my primary OS before I make any concrete conclusions for myself.

From what I’ve seen so far, the general tone of the tech-familiar seems to be one of subdued resignation. People might have hoped for and vocally demanded an official backtrack of the Metro (now known as “Modern”) UI and touch-centric strategy, but this facet of Windows 8 has instead become completely unavoidable. Public opinion of the new Modern environment and its apps is overwhelmingly negative—the music, videos, mail and calendar have been described as underpowered and borderline useless. Even worse, no one seems to be able to get the hang of the new, reduced concept of multitasking or the gestures designed for touchscreens.

There’s some amount of praise and respect for having made such a bold move, even if it is given only grudgingly. Some are enthusiastic about the futuristic, forward-looking experience. Many point out the various other improvements in Windows 8, such as better battery life and SkyDrive integration. Those who do see Windows-based tablets in their future are excited about the possibilities that will open up. Plus, of course, the apps and experiences can only improve over time.

windows8startmenu_021102431135_640x360.jpg

The next Vista?

However, millions of everyday users are not familiar with the radical changes to Windows and won’t have any choice when it comes to what’s preinstalled on their next laptop. Offices that decide to roll out upgrades will also have to take on massive staff retraining efforts. Things are going to behave unexpectedly and people don’t react well to change.

This brings us to the unfortunate conclusion that at least for a year or two, Windows 8 is going to be the next Vista. It will work well enough, but people will avoid it based on hearsay and apprehension. The biggest thing working against Windows 8 right now is that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 7, and no amount of advertising will change that. The world’s current favourite OS doesn’t feel tired, incapable or old-fashioned in any way. Its replacement will be new and different, but not appreciably better. People are going to demand Windows 7 long after Microsoft would like them to have moved on.

This time, though, Microsoft might not oblige them. It has too much invested in the brave new world of Windows 8—phones, tablets, laptops and desktops will be unified for the first time. Office and all the major Web services have been reinvented to match, and Microsoft has changed its own logo for the first time in 25 years. The company has clearly thought long and hard about the enormous risk it's taking and is literally putting everything it has on the line. If there is mass revolt against windows 8, Microsoft will only, at best, jump on the "rapid release" bandwagon and bring something new out next year. Whichever way this situation plays out, it will define the next era of computing and personal technology.

**********​

Has anyone experimented with Windows 8 yet, either the release preview or the RTM version? My university's MSDN subscription is still active so I got to download Windows 8 Professional, & to be honest; I didn't like it much.

What do people think of Microsoft's attempt at merging the desktop & mobile operating systems in to one? I am going to post my views & opinions about Windows 8 in more detail after some time.

Alright so let me begin by posting my views about Windows 8. Lets begin with the good things about Windows 8. It's quite stable, I didn't use it for extended periods of time, but there doesn't seem to be any instability. The Modern UI applications work well, even though some of the games I tried didn't seem to be compatible with high resolution screens. The architectural improvements in Windows 8 should be appreciated, the system boots up slightly faster, & resource management is arguably better although I didn't notice too much of an improvement. In any case, it doesn't matter that much to me because my PC has good specifications.

My issue with Windows 8 has pretty much everything to do with the odd attempt at merging the mobile & desktop operating system. Windows 8 is inconsistent, it's annoying to have to manage Modern UI apps & desktop applications simultaneously. Managing desktop applications requires going over to the desktop first where as it's easy to switch between Modern UI apps by performing a gesture towards the left corner of the screen. That brings to my next complaint, the gestures are clearly designed for touch screen devices. While it's possible to perform them with a mouse, it simply isn't convenient enough. Modern UI's full screen apps are going to be beneficial for tablets obviously, but I don't see the point of them on a desktop, it's just a waste of space on the screen.

Microsoft should learn from Apple's approach to this issue. Apple realizes that there is a different between the desktop & mobile OS. A mobile OS isn't productive enough on a desktop. This is exactly why OS X Mountain Lion borrows elements from iOS in order to give desktop users some of the benefits of iOS. It doesn't revamp their experience entirely. It would have been better for Microsoft to do the same, they could have implemented Modern UI apps in to desktop as a separate layer or application to be used if required. Anyway, I am not too fond of Windows 8, the only reason I use Windows on my desktop machine is because of PC gaming. Microsoft doesn't realize that we aren't in the 90s anymore, if they release crappy products; it's easy for us to move on to another operating system. In this case my personal favorite just happens to be OS X, & I already use that on my laptop. Anyway, these were my views on Windows 8.

i been using windows 8 for a few months.. of course the pre-release version and i like it..
and final version is cheap to buy..perhaps the cheapest version of Windows ever...

Modern UI can't be disabled in the final version. It's integrated in to the operating system.
Then that's messed up.....
Metro UI is good on touch devices but for regular Windows users moving on from Windows workspace to Metro UI is tough.
When using Metro UI on my notebook it kind of felt like the whole thing was crammed in !

i been using windows 8 for a few months.. of course the pre-release version and i like it..
and final version is cheap to buy..perhaps the cheapest version of Windows ever...

Do you think Windows 8's user interface is productive? Doesn't it seem like the operating system was more geared towards touch screen devices instead of desktop computers?

Then that's messed up.....
Metro UI is good on touch devices but for regular Windows users moving on from Windows workspace to Metro UI is tough.
When using Metro UI on my notebook it kind of felt like the whole thing was crammed in !

The learning curve didn't bother me, that's probably because I have a lot of interest in technology, gadgets, operating systems, & other digital devices. Although, I can understand how some people, especially the older generation are going to be frustrated by the new interface.

I never tried Windows 8 on a laptop, I am guessing that it's probably even worse to have to perform gestures using a track pad. The other way around it is to use keyboard shortcuts.

Windows 9 will be good just like windows 7. Windows 8 gonna be a disastrous for Humanity atleast 3 or 4 years.

Come to Ubuntu and get enlightenment. You all will like it.

I use both 7 and Ubuntu both are great.

^^ Yup same here...I have ubuntu on all my computers...

Windows 9 will be good just like windows 7. Windows 8 gonna be a disastrous for Humanity atleast 3 or 4 years.

I have begun to notice this pattern as well. Desktop users complained a lot when Vista was released, that is why Microsoft ensured that their demands were met during the development phase of Windows 7. The problem this time is that they have already decided to make Windows 8 a one size fits all operating system. I don't think Microsoft would be willing to change that regardless of customers complaints. Over time, most people are going to have no other choice except getting used to it. After all, Microsoft is still a monopoly.

Come to Ubuntu and get enlightenment. You all will like it.

I use both 7 and Ubuntu both are great.

I have used Ubuntu, it's alright, but I am not too fond of Linux for a variety of reasons. Although, if any Linux distribution has a chance at getting adopted as a mainstrem operating system; it has to be Ubuntu. OS X is my favorite operating system, & the recently released Mountain Lion is awesome. I think it's time for me to consider switching over to OS X completely, unless of course Microsoft gets it act together.

I have begun to notice this pattern as well. Desktop users complained a lot when Vista was released, that is why Microsoft ensured that their demands were met during the development phase of Windows 7. The problem this time is that they have already decided to make Windows 8 a one size fits all operating system. I don't think Microsoft would be willing to change that regardless of customers complaints. Over time, most people are going to have no other choice except getting used to it. After all, Microsoft is still a monopoly.

I have used Ubuntu, it's alright, but I am not too fond of Linux for a variety of reasons. Although, if any Linux distribution has a chance at getting adopted as a mainstrem operating system; it has to be Ubuntu. OS X is my favorite operating system, & the recently released Mountain Lion is awesome. I think it's time for me to consider switching over to OS X completely, unless of course Microsoft gets it act together.

Windows is loosing it's market share to Apple just for the same reason... I've used Windows for over 12 years. I was of the view that Apple for no reason over-hype it's products, but when I bought an iPhone (it was a gift actually) and when I start using it, I then realise it I should give a try to their OS too. I bought meself a MacBook Pro... and boy there's that 'WOW' factor in apple products... and it's been over three years, I'm still loving my OS X and iOS.

Windows 8 is a step copied from Apple... Windows 8 Mobile and windows 8 PC... the same like OS X and iOS.

Windows is loosing it's market share to Apple just for the same reason... I've used Windows for over 12 years. I was of the view that Apple for no reason over-hype it's products, but when I bought an iPhone (it was a gift actually) and when I start using it, I then realise it I should give a try to their OS too. I bought meself a MacBook Pro... and boy there's that 'WOW' factor in apple products... and it's been over three years, I'm still loving my OS X and iOS.

Windows 8 is a step copied from Apple... Windows 8 Mobile and windows 8 PC... the same like OS X and iOS.

I am a bit annoyed at Apple these days for not refreshing iOS's interface, but it's still one of the best mobile operating systems in the world. Android has significantly improved after the release of Jellybean too, & I have to admit that I am impressed by Google's efforts. Apple needs to get out of these patent wars though, it's true that they have every right to enforce their patents, but crying over patent violations all the time simply reduces competition. In the end, it's always the consumer that suffers.

As for OS X, in my opinion it just happens to be the best operating system in the world, there is no question about it. My first Mac was a Macbook Pro as well, & I can honestly say that it was one of the best laptops of its time. Although, I had used OS X earlier, thanks to the "osx86" project. OS X Mountain Lion is better than Windows 8 in every possible way, whether it's its usability, software quality, stability, & even the user interface.

Back
Top Bottom