What's new

Windows 8 could be the next Vista

I am a bit annoyed at Apple these days for not refreshing iOS's interface, but it's still one of the best mobile operating systems in the world. Android has significantly improved after the release of Jellybean too, & I have to admit that I am impressed by Google's efforts. Apple needs to get out of these patent wars though, it's true that they have every right to enforce their patents, but crying over patent violations all the time simply reduces competition. In the end, it's always the consumer that suffers.

As for OS X, in my opinion it just happens to be the best operating system in the world, there is no question about it. My first Mac was a Macbook Pro as well, & I can honestly say that it was one of the best laptops I ever bought. Although, I had used OS X earlier, thanks to the "osx86" project. OS X Mountain Lion is better than Windows 8 in every possible way, whether it's its usability, software quality, stability, & even the user interface.

Samsung was warned by Google and others NOT to copy Apple's patents and that's why they've paid a huge price.

The management of Apple is very very clever... thanks to the Genius of Steve Jobs... what they do is re-engineer the newly discovered technology, while others try to be first in releasing the technology, Apple waits for it's maturity and then release it to the public with many customisations from their end and that's where Apple is being termed as innovative, and one of the reason why their systems works as stated.

Microsoft has initially concentrated on Software development while ignoring the Hardware... and when they realised it, Steve had taken the world with a storm already leaving no room for Microsoft Hardware development to groom... what Apple did, they introduced their in-laboratory software optimised for their own Hardware... and that's one of the reason, Apple's software run smooth and flawlessly on their own built Hardware, and that can be judged by looking at the wast majority they provide in Software too. Ask any professional Graphics designer, Musicians etc they all prefer Macintosh for their jobs to be 'well' done.

The future belongs to Apple and Google, even though I'm not a fan of android but considering the market share they've taken and is about to release their own phones and tablets, they can be challenging to innovation of Apple... at the end of the day, it's the consumer who'll get loads of Goodies and that's what matters.

Samsung was warned by Google and others NOT to copy Apple's patents and that's why they've paid a huge price.

I already know about that, but Apple has always had an aggressive policy about defending their patents. Samsung was clearly guilty in these latest court battles, this is bound to have an impact on their reputation as a company.

The management of Apple is very very clever... thanks to the Genius of Steve Jobs... what they do is re-engineer the newly discovered technology, while others try to be first in releasing the technology, Apple waits for it's maturity and then release it to the public with many customisations from their end and that's where Apple is being termed as innovative.

That's not how it is all the time, a good example is Apple's purchase of the Graphical User Interface from Xerox. After they bought it, they completely redesigned significant elements of it, & were the first ones to introduce an easy to use computer commercially with a GUI. The reason some features are included a bit late in iOS is because one source of Apple's innovation is their form of implementation. This becomes apparent by observing how applications developed by Apple happen to be a lot easier & enjoyable to use in comparison to comparable applications from the competition. I would say that Apple makes use of a variety of methods to innovate. Sometimes, they just happen to be first ones to come up with a great idea. For example; tablets existed in the past, but it wasn't until the iPad got released that consumers & competition actually started to take the tablet market seriously.

Microsoft has initially concentrated on Software development while ignoring the Hardware... and when they realised it, Steve had taken the world with a storm already leaving no room for Microsoft Hardware development to groom... what Apple did, they introduced their in-laboratory software optimised for their own Hardware... and that's one of the reason, Apple's software run smooth and flawlessly on their own built Hardware, and that can be judged by looking at the wast majority they provide in Software too. Ask any professional Graphics designer, Musicians etc they all prefer Macintosh for their jobs to be 'well' done.

I already know this too, in fact most good programmers develop software that aims to take maximum advantage of the hardware. Microsoft did concentrate more on the software development in the past, but they always took hardware compatibility seriously. When a company's operating system happens to run on the majority of the computers in the world, it's impossible to focus on a specific hardware to optimize performance on. That is why Microsoft relies on heavy cooperation with hardware vendors for driver support.

For Windows Phone 8, Microsoft has simply laid out some minimum hardware requirements for the operating system. The purpose of which is to prevent fragmentation, & fragmentation is exactly what happens to ruin the Android experience. There are obvious advantages of optimizing software for the hardware, but the main reason professionals happen to use Macs is because of the software available on OS X that caters to all kinds of users. Microsoft Windows still lacks many professional applications in spite of its popularity. The lack of professional applications is another reason Linux is unlikely to be adopted by the mainstream market.

The future belongs to Apple and Google, even though I'm not a fan of android but considering the market share they've taken and is about to release their own phones and tablets, they can be challenging to innovation of Apple... at the end of the day, it's the consumer who'll get loads of Goodies and that's what matters.

Competition is a good thing, & that is one of the reasons patent wars need to be avoided. Patents hinder competition to an extent. Companies shouldn't be allowed to get patents for every minor innovation, some elements of user interface design are too obvious. However, this does not mean that blatant copying should be encouraged either.

I never cared too much about Android in the past either, but Jellybean is a cool update to the operating system, & it solves many problems Android faced in the past. All that Google needs to control now is application quality & hardware requirements to prevent fragmentation.

^ well phoenix you are right about OS X but not everyone can afford apple mac book because they are double or triple in price compare to windows laptop which vary in price from 250 to 700 pounds as they have everything from basic to gaming laptop

as far mobile operating system i still prefer android over ios because android is much much open operating system and a lot of personal customization

Its never been about patents but competition. Apple want to be the only king in smart phones but Samsung and others latest smart phones powered by android are challenging the authority of apple. All cases of Apple against Samsung got rejected in many countries including UK. they won in USA just because apple is american company.

Windows 9 will be good just like windows 7. Windows 8 gonna be a disastrous for Humanity atleast 3 or 4 years.

Come to Ubuntu and get enlightenment. You all will like it.

I use both 7 and Ubuntu both are great.
Both windows and Ubuntu stored on your hardware?

Windows 8 looks absurd even for a PC never mind the possible functionality problems that are likely to occur from it. The UI looks like it is designed more for a tablet computer rather than a full desktop PC or laptop.

Also since many are complaining why doesn't Pakistan make its own OS. I'm a Mac user btw though I do have windows 7 as well.

^ well phoenix you are right about OS X but not everyone can afford apple mac book because they are double or triple in price compare to windows laptop which vary in price from 250 to 700 pounds as they have everything from basic to gaming laptop

as far mobile operating system i still prefer android over ios because android is much much open operating system and a lot of personal customization

It's true that everyone can not afford a Mac, there is no problem with that. However, many people do buy laptops within the price range that Macbook Pros lie. I think the problem is that the cheapest Macs aren't exactly the mostly powerful computers within their price range. Besides that, many people aren't willing to learn & adapt to a new operating system. Windows 8 is a major change from Windows 7, but it's going to be a lot easier for people to learn to use Windows 8 instead of changing their operating system.

Both iOS & Android are good mobile operating systems. Android's remaining issues are fragmentation, & a lack of timely updates for manufacturers' customized devices. Apple's iOS also benefits from good integration with other Apple products. It seems that these days it's more about sticking to an ecosystem, after Windows 8's official launch, I won't be surprised if some users switch over to Windows Phone 8 phones just to benefit from interoperability.

Windows 8 looks absurd even for a PC never mind the possible functionality problems that are likely to occur from it. The UI looks like it is designed more for a tablet computer rather than a full desktop PC or laptop.

Windows 8 seems to be good for only one kind of device, & that is the Microsoft Surface tablet.

microsoft-surface-tablet-keyboard.jpg

Also since many are complaining why doesn't Pakistan make its own OS. I'm a Mac user btw though I do have windows 7 as well.

Are you saying that since some Pakistanis aren't fond of Windows 8, Pakistan should make its own operating system?

There are benefits of that obviously, but operating systems these days are developed by multinational companies that aim to profit from the global market. Thus, they will have to listen to our feedback. Pakistan could develop its own Linux distribution for desktops though, although I doubt anyone would use it.

Here is some interesting news below.

Samsung's S Launcher feels like an old friend in Windows 8, brings back the Start Menu

Samsung unveiled three new Windows 8, all-in-one PCs earlier today, and included is a widget called S Launcher. Why is this news? Well, Samsung doesn't want to confuse people with Windows 8's lack of a Start Menu, so they've pushed out S Launcher, which looks virtually identical to the Start Menu of Windows 7.

S Launcher is a simple widget that looks, and acts, just like the Start Menu we've all come to love over the last decade-plus. It's as simple as clicking the widget, start typing a word, and whatever word you type, it will show you the settings, and apps that relate to the item you've just searched for. There's also a separate settings icon which provides quick access to the most commonly used controls.

Samsung's S Launcher also allows you to drag and drop files for easy access and throwing them away when you don't need them anymore. The settings icon does come in handy, as Microsoft have shifted around a lot of the computer settings to places you're usually used to in Windows 7. This means that Samsung's S Launcher can save you time when trying to find something such as power management, control panel, and more, now found all in one easy-to-use spot.

Please visit the website itself to see a picture of the "S Launcher". I had to remove it because the picture wouldn't load on the thread.

I guess that might be good news for Samsung customers, but this solution isn't that great. It's integration looks pathetic based on the picture presented in the main article, & this widget exists simply for easing the transition.

It does not change the fact that Windows 8 is just more catered towards touch screen devices instead of desktops. I guess the feedback Microsoft receives after Windows 8's release may help them resolve these issues for Windows 9.

Start8 beta restores Start button to Windows 8, sidesteps Start menu - Free preview works on Windows 8 RTM; no word on final pricing

Computerworld - Stardock today released a beta version of its "Start8" utility that restores a Start button to the desktop of Windows 8.

The beta follows a series of preview versions that kicked off in March from Plymouth, Mich.-based Stardock, best known for its WindowBlinds customizing program.

Start8 reinstates the Start button and the ensuing Start menu to the Windows 8 desktop, and is free while in beta.

rad Wardell, founder of Stardock, posted several screenshots of Start8 on his personal blog Wednesday, and noted features that include the ability to boot directly to the desktop, shutdown and restart options, and built-in search.

Computerworld downloaded and installed the beta, and confirmed that the on-by-default direct-to-desktop booting worked. After entering log-in credentials in Windows 8 RTM, or "release to manufacturing," the Start screen appeared only briefly before the traditional desktop popped up.

start8.jpg

Start 8 seems to be better implemented than S Launcher. Does anyone think that this solution might curb complaints against Windows 8?

This is the modified version of windows 7 for tabs. But it su**s. Window vista is far better than windows 8.

Since most desktop operating systems today are borrowing features from mobile operating systems, I think it's a good idea to compare their different approaches to the graphical user interface.

Microsoft Windows 8

start-screen.png

I am assuming everyone knows how Windows 8 functions so there is no need for an explanation.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion

Mac-OS-X-Mountain-Lion.jpg

OS X's approach seems quite awesome to me. You might have noticed that Mountain Lion has certain iOS applications like iMessage & Reminders integrated in to it, & the notification center from iOS has been adopted as well. Combine that with the "launchpad", which essentially presents & helps organize all installed applications on the machine in a manner just like iOS.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

ubuntu-precise-apps-screenshot.png

Ubuntu isn't as mainstream as Windows or OS X, but it isn't unknown either. Canonical's approach to designing a touch friendly graphical user interface isn't too bad. I would say that Ubuntu's Unity is more productive than Windows 8's Modern UI on the desktop. In fact it seems that Ubuntu has borrowed some good design philosophies from OS X. It's just that Ubuntu lacks many professional applications; the most common of which is Microsoft Office.

Anyway, so these were the latest versions of the most popular desktop operating systems. Which one do the rest of you think has taken the best approach to integrating mobile & desktop operating systems' features? My vote goes to OS X.

Back
Top Bottom