What's new

Will US Transfer Critical Technologies If Lockheed Martin Shifts F-16 Assembly Line To India?

@PARIKRAMA a stupid question .. but can we fit one more engine in F 16 with some structural changes ?
Why is it a stupid question?

It's basically an evolution concept where a platform sporting. Single engine can be changed to twin engined or not.

Yes but there would be deep changes needed and secondly the whole design will have to be redone implying it's as good as a new plane itself.

Moreover the thrust is far too much if it's two F110. For single engine fighters you require a much higher thrust to compensate the whole weight and aerodynamics equations. In twin engined normally you don't require that high thrust for medium weight class.. so it needs to be seen how a evolution of F16 in twin engine form would turn out to be..

But cost wise i think it will be high as much as a new aircraft design using F16 tech base

India will only get the plane and engine from US.

Radars, missiles & EW systems will be provided by Israel.

It's basically an evolution concept where a platform sporting. Single engine can be changed to twin engined or not.

Yes but there would be deep changes needed and secondly the whole design will have to be redone implying it's as good as a new plane itself.

Moreover the thrust is far too much if it's two F110. For single engine fighters you require a much higher thrust to compensate the whole weight and aerodynamics equations. In twin engined normally you don't require that high thrust for medium weight class.. so it needs to be seen how a evolution of F16 in twin engine form would turn out to be..

But cost wise i think it will be high as much as a new aircraft design using F16 tech base
i asked this because in its current form F 16 ( even the latest Block) does not bring much ( may be except the SABAR radar).
However if the current F 16 can be tweaked to make it twin engine with better, thrust & power resulting in increased payload and range ( possible right ?) than its worth considering.

Actually its a decent question, but for those guys who are bend too much to bring the F-16 line in India. Question is Will U.S will give the tech. of Engine and Aesa Radar ?? Obviously No. Second, who claiming F-16 is gonna land up in IAF, did they really realises the requirement of IAF -- twin Engine fighter plane.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom