What's new

Will Pakistan be able to fight this venomous Extremist ideology?

Sorry for barging in.. My humble opinion:

There must be a conscious effort to teach the younger generation the importance of life they are living and not the afterlife , the existence of which is at best questionable. So each and every one must lead their life the best possible way, with humanity and compassion.

You see that is the difference between Pakistanis and Indians.

In most Pakistani schools, colleges, and universities Islamic studies is a required course and is taken very seriously in Pakistan.

You can not just dismiss Islamic teachings in a country like Pakistan, and those who think we can are very unrealistic.

they are whichever sect .... deep down they are one my question to you is again the same ..... They have never arranged massive protests against cowardly suicide against civilians .. while for mis afia sidiqui they have brought the life in pakistan to still ... i would call this hipocracy or they are scared. So which one is it in your view ?

assalam alaikum

Masha Allah u know what is in their heart. but u dont know they just organised a rally against sucide and extremism. If u think pakistan without ulema, then u r not gonna solve a thing

TARIQ

Educate your people , Work to eliminate poverty and unemployment and you will have Jinnah's Pakistan back.

assalam alaikum

bhai i can also demand a prove of what they have in their hearts anyhow even punjab govt. were asking them to not go for the protest. anyhow these r same ppl who lost many of their leader on Eid milad some years ago i guess nobody in pakistan doesnot know that. these r the same ppl who claim they r followers of ali hajwair in lahore u must know about the incident happend there.

Can u give me a proof of what they have in their hearts? and how u know it?

TARIQ

Can u give me a proof of what they have in their hearts? and how u know it?

TARIQ

My proof is i have never heard or seen mullahs rallying against suicide attacks on civilians ?? you claim they have protested i am requesting you to show it

Most of us def.pk members have witnessed many sympathetic comments of mostly pak members glorifying the act of this rat who killed ST and shot him unarmed & without any warning.

Salman Taseer, in my view he was a shaheed a brave man who had the courage to speak up against odds .... he fought for the rights of minorities by condemning this black law (Blasphemy law) eventually shot dead by his own body guard. No matter if it was planned or individual action but this is very alarming!

PA can bomb the hell out but it will only provide a short term solution and these morons can only be supressed not finish .... there are obviously elements inside PA like any other institution who are also sympathetic to jihadi causes. Question is how do we counter this extremist idealogy ? , i am posting this because i just read a news clip where it says some 500 so called "religious scholars" have celebrated ruthless murder of a pakistani by a pakistani ... wth is this ?

Pak Marine, I respect you as one of the saner Pakistani voices on this forum and, although as someone of Indian heritage it should be none of my business, I share your sense of disgust at some of the opinions being expressed on the thread about Islam in the IR of Pakistan and numerous threads relating to the murder of ST..

In response to your slightly rhetorical question about what is required to fight this 'venomous ideology', well it would require a complete separation of church (or mosque in this case) and state stemming from the realisation that a successful nation state can only be built on liberal and democratic principles. However, judging by comments posted here even those of a more 'liberal' bent in Pakistan appear to be loathe to openly challenging the prevailing orthodoxy, which leads me to conclude that the argument may have already been lost in Pakistan..

Looks like the house of Al Saud has successfully pedaled its wares to the Pakistani public and the notion of a 'moderate Sufi majority' wedded to the egalitarian ideals of Jinnah as the basis of Pakistani nationhood has remained a chimera..

Last edited:
Fight the rising intolerance

The writer completed his master’s in global Politics from the LSE and is currently teaching economics at Bellerbys College in London nadir.eledroos@tribune.com.pk
When Princess Diana died in a fatal car accident in 1997, a friend asked our Islamic studies teacher whether Diana, as a non-Muslim, would go to heaven for her humanitarian work. With a reassuring and calm smile, she replied, “No! All non-Muslims go to hell.”
Those who have grown up during the noughties have witnessed their schools turn into fortresses, gun-toting security guards, barbwire topped walls and sandbags — all of which represent institutions’ seriousness in tackling possible threats of violence. Their surroundings emphasise what they see on the news or read on the internet.
An entire generation has grown up accepting violence as a part of life. They are exposed to vivid displays of violence through the media. When young, impressionable students open up to their teachers and ask them to help them make sense of the violence that saw the murder of Salmaan Taseer, what answers will teachers provide?
‘One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter’. Given yesterday’s events however, ‘One man’s murderer is another man’s hero’. The Jamaat-e-Ahle Sunnat Pakistan declared the assassin, Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, ‘Ashiq-e-Rasool, Ghazi-e-Mulk’ (Lover of the Prophet, Commander of the Country).
The gulf is obvious. A large number of individuals have offered explanations, justifications and celebrated the actions of Mumtaz Hussain Qadri. That we fail to distinguish between murder and heroism speaks volumes of how fundamentalism, intolerance, glorifying self-sacrifice and death have been embedded in our national psyche.
The event, as narrated by an eyewitness, details how in a calm and collected manner the assassin committed the crime, threw his gun to the ground, raised his arms and surrendered. The iconography of the act, and the manner, in which this story has been repeated and transmitted through print and oral repetition, presents the gunman as the archetypical hero that many of us associate heroism with.
We should not kid ourselves. Salmaan Taseer’s assassination was not the act of an individual. His views and actions were shaped by a society that encourages and glorifies an individual who takes the law into their own hands. If such actions are backed by religious sanction, in this case by mass nationwide protests declaring the victim wajibul qatl, the archetype of the brave ghazi insures social acceptance, nay even hero worship.
So what will students discuss in their classrooms? How will their teachers respond when asked whether such events can ever be justified? Given the large amount of sympathy that Mumtaz Qadri has received, there is a fair chance that he will be celebrated by some.
This is why it is so important that Salmaan Taseer’s death is not met with a withdrawal of progressive voices from the public domain. Progressive forces cannot allow the latest chapter in our nation’s story to be written by those who glorify death and offer little to live for.
Children and young adults are the best exponents of new technology and are able to not only consume opinions, but also participate in reinforcing them. If progressive elements fall silent, we will allow those who preach intolerance, a monopoly in recording our present and shaping our future.
Today, we cannot agree to what constitutes murder. If we fall silent, tomorrow we may fail to recognise it at all.
Published in The Express Tribune, January 6th, 2011.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom