What's new

Will Elon Musk's Tesla Inc. now follow the 'Apple' cart to India?

Recently, Musk hinted that he likes Indian food, especially butter chicken with naan. Last month, Musk finally decided to follow Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Twitter,
no offence but
if liking naan or following Modi cant be enough to say there will be a giga factory.
have you seen those things?

it may well happen - but the write up should have started off with something more substantive instead of liking Indian food or following one person (even if its the Premier)

no offence but
if liking naan or following Modi cant be enough to say there will be a giga factory.
have you seen those things?

it may well happen - but the write up should have started off with something more substantive instead of liking Indian food or following one person (even if its the Premier)
lmao, "likes butter chicken"

Can't recall exactly but Elon did have plans for India at one stage, sadly, though, the whole thing fell through.

or maybe it's not so sad at all, screw his silly battery cars.. idhar pistons mangta, not these ridiculous solid state battery cars.. yuck.

Unless they can offer something under 15 lakhs, Tesla won’t see wide scale customer base in India. Maybe they can come up with an extended hatchback without the auto pilot and other self driving aids to bring the price down.

Unless they can offer something under 15 lakhs, Tesla won’t see wide scale customer base in India. Maybe they can come up with an extended hatchback without the auto pilot and other self driving aids to bring the price down.

Don't think they are looking for very wide scale customer base at the beginning. Probably trying to establish an alternative against the niche sector (30+ lakhs) who are buying Lexus, toyota fortuner, Audi, Jeep meridian, Jaguar, Tiguan, MG Gloster, some BMW models, Volvo XC40, Land Rover, harrier EV types and with an emphasis on exports (Testing for China alternative?, in case of future stringent sanction and/ or other conflict with PRC by the US)

Whatever is the reason, a healthy EV competition between Tesla & other players is going to rapidly change the EV infra scenario and peoples outlook to EVs and that's a good thing. With the kind of hydro-electric generation potential of India and future thorium or other nuclear power generation potential, EV is the way to go. Forget global warming, this will change India's import scenario (25% of the imports are crude oil & petroleum products) and improve CAD immensely.

1684384943583.png

Now that I had a look at this chart, what's Indian's obsession with Gold, pearl & precious stones?? That's bloody 12+% of the imports.. 😯

Now that I had a look at this chart, what's Indian's obsession with Gold, pearl & precious stones?? That's bloody 12+% of the imports.. 😯
Somehow always been considered a safe investment, real bullion or jewellry, physical, not paper gold.

Tesla cars are expensive, but they aren't exactly aspirational like luxury ICE cars you get at the same price. For now, they lack street cred, but that will change.

A large number of luxury ICE car buyers in India are old money rich and for them the badge is important. They don't find badge value in Tesla yet. So manufacturing for local sales does not seem feasible. For exports, yes.

That said, I have started seeing some BYD Atto 3 in Bangalore now. They look very sexy inside out. At about 3.5 million Rupees they are slotted well for the affluent IT crowd who like to flaunt new gadgets.

I hope they come

and fail

fuk'n hate these battery cars
A lot of ICE enthusiasts are taking a liking to EVs after their initial skepticism. I have not driven one, but apparently the acceleration and absence of vibration / sound is growing on some.

Last edited:
A lot of ICE enthusiasts are taking a liking to EVs after their initial skepticism. I have not driven one, but apparently the acceleration and absence of vibration / sound is growing on some.
ICE 4 lyf, m'fers

feedback mangta, sound bhi.. just the whole thing about pistons firing, yeahhh.

kya ye battery bootri lagai rakhi hai aaj kal, wtf man

Back
Top Bottom