What's new

Wild Life of Pakistan

Pakistani Loach

141264c6cc1c19c44ab8b54d5d6cec4b.jpg

Very beatiful creature,for my special interest to fishes.

May 27, 2007

Houbara bustard conservation plan to be prepared

d52763e249e7847c50b781df29529f43.jpg

RAWALPINDI, May 26: The National Council for Conservation of Wildlife has been directed to prepare community development and conservation plans in the areas of houbara bustard hunting.

The decision has been taken after active community participation led to the increase in the population of endangered species like markhor, urial, ibex and blue sheep in various parts of the country.

A meeting of the council held in Islamabad on Saturday allocated the quota of trophy hunting for markhor, urial, blue sheep and ibex.

Presiding over the meeting, Federal Minister for Environment Syed Faisal Saleh Hayat said the initiative of trophy-hunting was taken to preserve endangered species and develop the areas that inhabited them. Under trophy-hunting programme, animals reaching a certain age are designated for hunting. The government gets amounts up to $14,000 for each hunted animal from the hunters.

The minister said it was satisfactory to note that remote communities of NWFP, Balochistan, Northern Areas, Sindh and Punjab had joined the conservation drive and now had the ownership of their natural resources. The communities are also trying for habitat improvement by controlling their livestock.

As a reward of their conservation efforts, the local communities are getting 80 per cent of the revenue being earned through trophy hunting. This programme has helped increase the socio-economic conditions of the local communities.

The meeting also reviewed the status of the menace of bear- baiting in the country. The council was informed that generally this practice was now under control and there was no incident of bear-baiting reported by NGOs or the media.

It was decided that efforts would also be made to stop the practice of bear-dancing in the country after careful analysis of its social impact on the poor.

http://www.dawn.com/2007/05/27/nat17.htm

could u please tell me where i can find out if tigers are being introduced to kirthar. are they introducing asian elephants aswell. plz tell me where i can find more info on thos or just giv me info.

plz can u tell us if asian elephants are also being introduced and give more info!

Rare Asiatic Cheetah in Pakistan

e5e1daf9ed407dc772bd34c0d9f8f9d0.jpg

Caracal In Balochistan, Pakistan

abab5ca9a2a9aeac00319c3f3106b60b.jpg

Wild Eurasian Lynxs in Balochistan, Pakistan

ca37e0685ed9c16b8da131fccdfbd6ac.jpg

Wild Pallas Cat, found in lower Chitral and Gilgit, Northern Regions of Pakistan

3c0b9f49c6c30fc247b4658e5bcd69f8.jpg

Source:Wild Cats of Pakistan

Golden or Asiatic Jackal found throughout Central and Balochistan, Pakistan

2727356ad008d64d4d38ca3e0fa0f3f5.jpg

Loomari (Urdu) or Red Fox not FIRE FOX hahahaha Not funny.

8bb61b557244631140ba75934d678ae3.jpg

Jungle Cat or Jangli Billi (Urdu)

918c85fa458de5bbf1db9b315db9e7f6.jpg

RARE Pakistan Sand-Cat found in Thar Desert...

5105dfe148f81df87c5f66f26207a2d4.jpg

Stripped Hyena Lhargar Bhagar(Urdu)...

4faa49a4ecde73612dd152e5b5241e7d.jpg

Eurasian Brown Bear in NW Pakistan.

10ea0881bbaaaf4864ea712aa364db0a.jpg

Source:Mammals of Pakistan

could u please tell me where i can find out if tigers are being introduced to kirthar. are they introducing asian elephants aswell. plz tell me where i can find more info on thos or just giv me info.

Yes, we want to bring a few species back to the region including the tiger, elephant and rhino but the Kirthar Nation Park needs to be further developped.
Might take few more years before the animals are imported.

Great Looking Picture of Sand-Cat it will make you want to OWN ONE!!!

6560ae32f85011891ecc4d8806889e90.jpg

Your welcome Neo, for me posting all these amazing pictures in your thread...Anytime buddy.

Peafowl
These exotic birds originate from India, Pakistan, western China, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka and live for up to 20 years. Did you know the more eyes a male has on his magnificent tale, the more mates he will attract?! Look out for our Peacock, Freddie, who has taken to living in Leigh Park Gardens!

374a5966c60d3d31ce29ee9807d0a723.jpg

Wonder full birds and too beautiful.

We used to have a pair, when we were in pakistan abt 9 years ago.

The female died :cry: it was white
The male we had to give it away :frown:

The were very handy, we used to live in a area with lots of snakes n lizards. When ever we went outside in the back yard, u would always find a lizard tail :lol::lol::lol:

A few months ago, my teacher was telling in our bio class, was tellin us they couldn't fly. I was like :what: and n told them they did fly, for short periods.

Sum 1 forgot sumthin really important, bandar kahan pai hain:lol:lol:lol:

Where are the monkeys :)

Snow Leopard

4bca8d40db04782ad2bbee12352d4f03.jpg

5b9d4bb5a9c9bc16114dff068c870145.jpg

0fb3642fea1c9214174f99e8996779e9.jpg

13cf8b136512621d82e3cc1a907d8029.jpg

Description
Snow leopards are smaller than the other big cats but like them, exhibit a range of sizes, generally weighing between 27 and 54 kg (60–120 lb). Body length ranges from 74–130 cm (39–51 in) with a tail of nearly the same length.

Snow leopards have long thick fur, the base colour of which varies from smokey grey to yellowish tan, with whitish underparts. They have dark grey to black open rosettes on their body with small spots of the same colour on their heads and larger spots on their legs and tail.

Snow leopards show several adaptations for living in cold mountainous environments. Their bodies are stocky, their fur is thick, and their ears are small and rounded, all of which help to minimise heat-loss. Their feet are wide, which distributes their weight better for walking on snow, and they have fur on their undersides to increase their traction on steep and unstable surfaces, as well as to assist with minimising heat-loss. Snow leopards' tails are long and flexible which help them to maintain their balance. The tails are also especially thickly covered with fur which, apart from minimising heat-loss, allows them to be used like a blanket to protect their faces when asleep.

Taxonomy
In the past, many taxonomists included the snow leopard in the genus Panthera, with several of the other largest felids, but later it was placed in its own genus, Uncia. It was thought to be not closely related to the leopard (Panthera pardus) but in fact to be closer to the cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus). However, a recent molecular study places the species firmly within the genus Panthera, although the exact position remains unclear.

Area - Distribution
bdf242afff77b083e92c911f8013ca3f.png

The snow leopard's range in central and south Asia is rugged mountainous regions of approximately 1,230,000 square kilometers, which extends through 12 countries: Afghanistan, Bhutan, China, India, Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan

Ecology and behaviour
In summer, the snow leopard usually lives above the tree line on mountainous meadows and in rocky regions at an altitude of 2,700 m (8,900 ft) to 6,000 m (20,000 ft). In winter, it comes down into the forests to an altitude of around 2,000 m (6,600 ft). It leads largely a solitary life, although mothers may rear cubs for extended periods of time in dens in the mountains.

An individual snow leopard lives within a well defined home range but does not defend its territory aggressively when encroached upon by other snow leopards. Home ranges vary greatly in size. In Nepal, where prey is abundant, a home range may be as small as 12 km2 (5 sq mi) to 39 km2 (15 sq mi) and up to 5 to 10 animals are found here per 100 km2 (39 sq mi); whereas, in habitats with sparse prey, an area of 1,000 km2 (386 sq mi) supports only 5 of these cats.
Snow leopards are crepuscular being most active at dawn and dusk.

Feeding
Snow leopards are carnivores and actively hunt their prey, but like all cats are opportunistic feeders, eating whatever meat it can find including carrion and domestic livestock. They are capable of killing animals three times their size but will readily take much smaller prey such as hares and birds.

Breeding
Snow leopards usually mate in late winter and have a gestation period of 90–100 days. Litter sizes vary from one to five cubs but two or three is more usual. The cubs remain with their mother until they become independent after around 18–22 months.
Snow leopards normally live for 15–18 years, but may live for up to 20 years in captivity.

Population and conservation
The total wild population of the snow leopard is estimated at between 4,000 and 7,500 individuals (see table below). In 1972 the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, (IUCN) placed the snow leopard on its Red List of Threatened Species as "Endangered," the same classification given the panda and the tiger.

There are also 600-700 snow leopards in zoos around the world.

Markhor
081fb726ba7f7b0ef5ba8848bd0f6c6d.jpg

The Markhor is officially the National animal of Pakistan

The animal is largely found in the Northern Areas of Pakistan especially in Chitral, Ghizar and Hunza regions.

The Markhor (Capra falconeri) is a goat-antelope found in sparse woodland in the Western Himalayas.

Markhor stand 65 to 115 centimetres (26 to 45 in) at the shoulder and weigh from 40 to 110 kilograms (88 to 240 lb). Females are tan in colour with a white underbelly and a pattern of black and white on the legs. Males have a lighter tan colour with the same white underbelly and pattern on the legs, as well as a black face and a large amount of long shaggy white fur on their neck and chest which can grow to knee-length. Both sexes have corkscrew-shaped horns which can grow up to 160 centimetres (63 in) long in males, and up to 25 centimetres (9.8 in) in females.

Markhor are found at altitudes of 500 to 3,500 metres (1,600 to 11,000 ft) where they eat grass, leaves, and whatever other vegetative matter they can find, often standing on their hind legs to reach the top leaves of trees. Markhor are crepuscular, active in the early morning and late afternoon. Females gather in herds of up to nine individuals and males are normally solitary.

During mating season, males fight each other for the attention of females. These fights involve lunging until the two males' horns are locked together, and then twisting and pushing until one male falls. Markhor sound much like the domestic goat.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom