What's new

Why Turkey's military base will remain in Qatar

I honestly have no idea why one would trade tiny Qatar for the rest of the gulf. I think it comes down to the Muslim Brotherhood and Qatars and Tayeebs support for them. Qatars investments in Turkey are neglectable, no great value.

Turkey have made many odd moves lately I don't understand. They make no sense to me. Is it possible that Erdogan has gone crazy?

First you were BFs with Iran, then we became enemies
You had good relations with Russia but then you chose to side with rebels in Syria and shoot down a Russian fighter.
And go to US for support.
Speculations about your support of IS.
Then you start cursing all of Europe, promise to not fight against Assad and order S400 from Russia.
You were BFs with Saudi and GCC but now you cross them and support Qatar over them instead.

Turkey have made many odd moves lately I don't understand. They make no sense to me. Is it possible that Erdogan has gone crazy?

First you were BFs with Iran, then we became enemies
You had good relations with Russia but then you chose to side with rebels in Syria and shoot down a Russian fighter.
And go to US for support.
Speculations about your support of IS.
Then you start cursing all of Europe, promise to not fight against Assad and order S400 from Russia.
You were BFs with Saudi and GCC but now you cross them and support Qatar over them instead.

Very turbulent :-)

Can a normal Turk give me his unbiased POV about what you think Turkey is up to?

I understand entering Syria to stop Kurds from getting any Land. But why in Iraq an Qatar? There is no logical reason to be in Iraq other than preventing a Kurdistan, but it will not happen anyway, we will never let them. For Qatar, I i found 0 logical reasons. So there remains only those illogical reason.

A) Erdogan wants to create more influence in Turkey, and show himself as Powerful leader in order to gain more support. (It is with approval of SA)

B) Turkey wants to create influence in ME. Perhaps by creating Turk proxies in the region? Being the voice of sunni muslims?

If it is B) then I have to say, you are playing a very dangerous game. GCC belongs to SA. And Arabs are not loyal to, and does not owe anything to Turkey. You can never have such influence over Arab countries. Same goes for Turks in the region. They do not owe any allegiance to Turkey.

So what kind of game do you think Erdogan is playing?

Come on buddy, you have sharingan and that's all you see?))
Joke aside we see Qatar as a partner, not a country to dominate or something.

I tell you shortly, First, Qatar is a friendly, rich and strategical country for us. From the beginning Turkey's roadmap on regional issues are clear. You know, in our times, specially in the ME, you can barely have friends to trust. Qatar is one of them and showed it. They support our policies, they buy our weapons ( will buy ), they trust us and they have money. I personally like the Qatari Emir's vision and how it turned Qatar.

Secondly Qatar offers us to widen our military presence in the region which will be needed in the future probably. We show everyone that Qatar is our friend. And its indirect effect is surely to gain more influence. That's the situation.

Come on buddy, you have sharingan and that's all you see?))
Joke aside we see Qatar as a partner, not a country to dominate or something.

I do not have Sharingan, it is just a screen name

I tell you shortly, First, Qatar is a friendly, rich and strategical country for us. From the beginning Turkey's roadmap on regional issues are clear. You know, in our times, specially in the ME, you can barely have friends to trust. Qatar is one of them and showed it. They support our policies, they buy our weapons ( will buy ), they trust us and they have money. I personally like the Qatari Emir's vision and how it turned Qatar.

You already had a good thing going on with SA. There was no need to side with Qatar over SA. This is just asking for trouble.

Secondly Qatar offers us to widen our military presence in the region which will be needed in the future probably. We show everyone that Qatar is our friend. And its indirect effect is surely to gain more influence. That's the situation.

Makes no sense. Why would you need military influence in the gulf. Are you going to fight SA? Don't think so.

Can a normal Turk give me his unbiased POV about what you think Turkey is up to?

I understand entering Syria to stop Kurds from getting any Land. But why in Iraq an Qatar? There is no logical reason to be in Iraq other than preventing a Kurdistan, but it will not happen anyway, we will never let them. For Qatar, I i found 0 logical reasons. So there remains only those illogical reason.

A) Erdogan wants to create more influence in Turkey, and show himself as Powerful leader in order to gain more support. (It is with approval of SA)

B) Turkey wants to create influence in ME. Perhaps by creating Turk proxies in the region? Being the voice of sunni muslims?

If it is B) then I have to say, you are playing a very dangerous game. GCC belongs to SA. And Arabs are not loyal to, and does not owe anything to Turkey. You can never have such influence over Arab countries. Same goes for Turks in the region. They do not owe any allegiance to Turkey.

Muslim brotherhood partnership and the money flow from Qatar following the MB partnership. Qatar invested alot in Turkey and many of those investments were due this partnership rather then profit.

I think military presence in Qatar happened solely on their request. They probably thought it might ward of Saudis.

Quote :

Why Turkey's military base will remain in Qatar

Yahya Bostan
Published June 24, 2017

Turkish military presence in Qatar is highly important for the stability and security of not only Qatar but the entire Gulf region

In recent weeks, Turkey's military base in Qatar became a hot-button issue as several Gulf countries, led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, severed their ties with Doha citing the tiny nation's alleged support for terrorist groups. Just days after a series of economic, diplomatic and humanitarian sanctions were announced, the Turkish Parliament fast-tracked an agreement with Qatar regarding the establishment of a military base outside Doha. Although that bilateral agreement's ratification was considered a sign of Turkey's frustration with the Qatar crisis, this interpretation didn't necessarily reflect the truth.

Long before the most recent crisis in the region, Ankara and Doha were engaging in talks pending the Turkish Parliament's green light. As a matter of fact, more than 80 Turkish troops were already stationed in Qatar to lay the foundations of Ankara's future base. Following Parliament's approval, 23 additional troops were deployed to Doha. Simply put, the Turkish base wasn't just planned and agreed on long before the crisis but it was also an ongoing project.

The second time the Turkish military base came up during the course of the Gulf crisis was earlier this week, when several the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries provided Qatar with a list of 13 demands. You might recall that U.S. President Donald Trump had initially sided with Riyadh and others but Washington gradually backtracked on this policy. Arguably the most noteworthy challenge to the White House came from U.S. State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert, who told reporters that the U.S. wasn't sure whether the blockade of Qatar was about terrorism after all.

Either way, the Qataris were presented with a list of demands which, according to media reports, included the downgrading of diplomatic relations with Iran, shutting down Al Jazeera and a number of other media outlets, ending Doha's support to the Muslim Brotherhood and the shutdown of Turkey's military base in Qatar along with an end to military cooperation with Ankara – which tells me that some people are unsettled by the Turkish military presence in the Gulf.

The obvious question now is whether Turkish troops in Qatar should be a source of concern and, if yes, to whom.

Before answering, it is necessary to recall why Turkey sent troops to the region in the first place and what the Turkish military has been doing there. At this time, Turkish troops serve in places like Kosovo and Afghanistan as part of international peacekeeping forces. Turkey's friends and allies repeatedly maintained over the years that Turkish troops made valuable contributions to peace and stability in host nations.

Moreover, Turkey has three military bases outside its borders. One of them is located in Bashiqa in northern Iraq, which has been a training center for anti-Daesh fighters at the request of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG). At the same time, the base makes it possible for Ankara to neutralize national security threats before Daesh terrorists reach its borders.

The second base is located in Somalia, where local troops have been receiving training as part of a broader strategy to empower that country politically, economically and socially in order to help Somalians to address the threats of instability, terrorism and hunger. In fact, Turkey provided more assistance to Somalia than any other country. Keeping in mind that the country needs a strong military to become fully stable, it is not surprising that Turkish troops have been assisting their Somalian counterparts.

The third and final military base is in Qatar. Efforts to set up the base were launched back in 2014 in an effort to contribute to Doha's security. A closer look at the date when the talks started indicates that the decision was motivated by Iranian expansionism and the situation in Syria. As the above examples clearly show, Turkey's decisions to establish military bases abroad are intended to promote the stability and security of friendly nations as well as to take pre-emptive measures threats against its own security.

Do the Gulf nations have any reason to be unsettled by the Turkish military base in Qatar? Turkey and the GCC countries see eye-to-eye on most regional issues – notwithstanding minor differences of opinion. In particular, Turkey and Saudi Arabia completely agree on the need to remove Bashar Assad's regime from power. Likewise, the Turkish government had sided with the Gulf nations during the Yemen crisis and shared Saudi concerns about Iranian expansionism. In other words, the Turkish military presence in Qatar strengthens the Saudi-led coalition's hand rather than threaten their vital interests. As such, it is important to stress that the base doesn't pose a threat to the Gulf nations.

So why did they ask Qatar to shut down the base? Why would the GCC countries, which clearly have no problem with the U.S. military base near Doha, want Turkish troops to leave? It would be wrong to assume that this demand reflects their general view on Turkey. A closer look at their demands from Qatar reveals that they actually believe that Doha threatens their vital interests. As such, they would like the Qataris to become diplomatically and economically dependent on Saudi Arabia and others, which means no relationship whatsoever with any nation that could empower Doha. In other words, the demand to shut down the Turkish base is more about weakening Qatar than the perceived threat(s) posed by Turkey.

Be that as it may, the question is whether the Saudi-led countries can reasonably request Qatar to shut down the base. The Gulf crisis cannot continue forever and, looking at the fierce competition between regional powers, it is safe to assume that the GCC countries will have to normalize their relations with Qatar sooner or later. To be clear, neither Turkey nor Qatar can be expected to give up on this strategic move due to some temporary tensions. Let's just hope that Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Gulf nations will understand that Turkish troops will be vital for their own security in the future.

Daily Sabah

What is the point of the base ?

Look; " joke aside "

You already had a good thing going on with SA. There was no need to side with Qatar over SA. This is just asking for trouble.

We don't take side. We had relations with Qatar before crisis. Can't we be friends with KSA and Qatar at the same time? Moreover Qatar and Turkey are two independent states.

Makes no sense. Why would you need military influence in the gulf. Are you going to fight SA? Don't think so.

As I said, " it's indirect effects "... Everything you do in the region have an effect.

Buddy better read carefully what people write before jumping on.

Ask Qatari for why we turn back there!

In Iraq Erdogan has/had plans outside of the KRG, this is mainly in Nineveh province where Nujaifi (Muslim brotherhood) was the governor. Years before the 2014 fall of Mosul this governor Atheel al Nujaifi was working closely with Turkey and trying to bypass Baghdad, opposing the security forces etc. Thing is that before June 2014 the army was not even fully in control of Mosul, it was already infested with Al Qaeda elements who ran the place underground like a mafia organization extorting families for money, taxing people by threats.

All these plans failed, only ones who benefitted are Turkey's greatest enemy (Kurds).

Look; " joke aside "

I know, I was joking too.

We don't take side. We had relations with Qatar before crisis. Can't we be friends with KSA and Qatar at the same time? Moreover Qatar and Turkey are two independent states.

Well, thats the thing, you actually do, the timing is completely wrong. IMO tIt would serve you best to remain neutral.

As I said, " it's indirect effects "... Everything you do in the region have an effect.

Buddy better read carefully what people write before jumping on.

I didnt jump to conclusions. I simply pointing out that boots on the ground in ME gives you no advantage unless you are going to either attack Iran or SA. And I don't think you are going to do any of those.

No! I didn't! But you so far away!

Im very sure you did

In Iraq Erdogan has/had plans outside of the KRG, this is mainly in Nineveh province where Nujaifi (Muslim brotherhood) was the governor. Years before the 2014 fall of Mosul this governor Atheel al Nujaifi was working closely with Turkey and trying to bypass Baghdad, opposing the security forces etc. Thing is that before June 2014 the army was not even fully in control of Mosul, it was already infested with Al Qaeda elements who ran the place underground like a mafia organization extorting families for money, taxing people by threats.

All these plans failed, only ones who benefitted are Turkey's greatest enemy (Kurds).

So they were trying to create a puppet state within Iraq? Thats impossible. Iraqi arabs don't have any unity with Turkey. Just because many arabs are sunni doesn't make them loyal to Turkey. And when it comes to Kurds, we would never allow them to do such a thing. Iraq belongs to Iraq

Turkey was popular but the ikhwanjie terrorist erdogan ruined its image

Being popular means nothing in the long run. You wont always stay popular. If there is no real unity, you will get kicked out eventually.

1... Turkish Army in Iraq because of the main goal of this base is to fight against Daesh ... the Turkish army is also training and arming Hashd al-Watani, a predominantly Arab Sunni militia

Turkish Army in Iraq because of to stop Iran backed shitee terrorist groups to kill Sunni Muslims and to invade Sunni Muslim cities like Mosul ... Turkey is trying to stop a war between Sunnis and Shitees

Turkey acts as the protector of Sunnis in the region, while Iran wants to build a Shia circle of influence all the way from Tehran to Lebanon

Iran is trying to create two Shia states in Syria and Iraq... This is very dangerous ... Iran created chaos also in Yemen .. Iran's sectarian policy aimed at undermining Bahrain and Saudi Arabia..... Arabs are so angry

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2... Turkish Army in Qatar because of to protect Qatar from the zionist the US-Israel backed S Arabia Egypt and Uae
Moursi ( Egypt ) and Erdogan ( Turkey ) were allies ...but the US-Israel and S Arabia supported criminal murderer dictator Sisi for a military coup in Egypt to destroy Egyptian-Turkish alliance

Turkey lost Egypt but this time Turkey will not lose Qatar ...even Turkey is ready to fight to protect Qatar

Turkey sees its defence ties with Qatar as an indispensable pillar of its strategic posture in the region . The military base in Qatar is an important power projection asset for Turkey

Turkey and Qatar have a long history of being on the same side of regional conflicts and developments

Qatar and Turkey are also following a similar strategy of balance in their relations with Iran .... S Arabia ( the US-Israel ) wants to attack on Iran with helping of Turkey-Qatar-Egypt-etc

Turks are not stupid to fight against Iran for American-Israeli interests

also Turkey enjoys strong political and economic relations with Qatar ... Qatar's investments in Turkey reaches over $20bn , making Qatar the second leading investor in terms of value in Turkey

maybe Qatar's investments in Turkey will reach over $100bn in the future

also Turkish companies are handling projects worth about $12 bn in Qatar, most of which is put into Fifa World Cup 2022 projects

also QATAR proven natural gas reserves stand at approximately 25 trillion cubic meters and Qatar is the biggest exporter of liquid gas in the world

TURKEY never let allow S Arabia ( zionist the US -Israel ) to steal Qatari Qas money

QATAR and TURKEY dont need anyone ..

but without the US , S Arabia ,Egypt and Uae are nothing ... so S Arabia gives hundreds of billion of dollars to the US for protection dictator Royal Familiy

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Turkey was popular but the ikhwanjie terrorist erdogan ruined its image

zionist criminal murderer dictator terrorist SISI in Egypt killed over 5.000 unarmed civilians for Israeli interests

the biggest terrorists in the ME are SISI in Egypt ..Assad in Syria ,,Royal Families in S Arabia and Uae ,, Iran backed shitee groups ..the US-Israel backed DAESH -PKK and YPG which killed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians

on the other hand ERDOGAN saved millions of Arabs and Kurds from terrorist Assad,,Daesh,,Ypg and Iran backed shitee groups

over 80% of Arabic World more loves ERDOGAN than zionist puppets dictator terrorists SISI in Egypt ,Assad in Syria ,,Royal Families in S Arabia and Uae

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you aware of that over %60 of Iraq is Shiite?

"Turkey and Qatar have a long history of being on the same side of regional conflicts and developments"

Not they dont. It has started in this decade. Qatar has came into Ottoman dominance in 1871, al-Thani family refused to pay taxes in 1893 and defeated the Ottoman official that is sent to collect taxes in battle. We dont have much of a common history.

Turkey wont fight Saudi Arabia and stop using too much of that word zionist, you look stupid.

Back
Top Bottom