What's new

Why South Asians Are More Likely To Get Diabetes Than Europeans

The problem is we were designed for pro-creation not longevity. Technically anybody over probably the age of 35 is living on unproven evolution.

Just be thankful your wife is not three times bigger and has you for dinner after baby-making activity. The Praying mantis does.

Sure, I eat lentils regularly but don't South Asians eat wheat everyday ? :)

It depends on the region. Bangladeshis will only consume wheat for snacks or for breakfast items (Paratha, Roti, Samosa etc.).

For lunch and dinner, rice with vegetables/fish/chicken. No Bengali I know eats beef every day, even Muslims. If they do, they are asking for trouble....

Have you seen that orangey fat on the top when you put a meat curry into the fridge?

That stuff is going straight into your heart arteries when you consume red meat.

Yup, and hard to dissolve too. Will need a stent by age 50.

Talking about artery blockers, how about Shahi Tukra? Fried in butter and with syrup! Cholesterol City!!

iu

Last edited:
The short lifespan was mostly a function of predators and untreated diseases and injuries. The machinery does eventually break down but we are learning tricks to make it usable longer than its original use-by date.

Yes, but because of that evolution hasn't given us much protection from later in life issues..like cancer/Heart disease/stroke since the vast majority weren't reaching that age so it was never weeded out.

Yes, but because of that evolution hasn't given us much protection from later in life issues..like cancer/Heart disease/stroke since the vast majority weren't reaching that age so it was never weeded out.

Those diseases are nature's way to clear the deck and save resources for the next generation. We usually get these problems when we are safely past the evolutionarily 'useful' zone which, as you pointed out, is geared towards child birth and child rearing. That's all evolution cares about.

Older people are useful only in human societies because we have cultural 'DNA' to pass on to the next generation.

Those diseases are nature's way to clear the deck and save resources for the next generation. We usually get these problems when we are safely past the evolutionarily 'useful' zone which, as you pointed out, is geared towards child birth and child rearing. That's all evolution cares about.

Older people are useful only in human societies because we have cultural 'DNA' to pass on to the next generation.

Well in the Logan's Run future everybody over 30 was considered useless and past their prime...so off to the death chambers they were sent.

Wheat is eaten in the Deccan and I living in the Deccan prefer rotis as do many others here so the infographic is misleading. :)
I am assuming you are referring to AP + Telangana and not North Karnataka.
India ka aadha rice to tum Deccan walay hi kha jaate ho. "Unlimited meals" aur Biryani mein.

I have never seen any Deccan guy eating less than 3 servings of this meal at one sitting

nagarjuna.jpg

Last edited:
You are looking at a chart that lists absolute populations and then listing countries with the most population, lol.

Good point. And the figures don't show anything like 'South Asian'. Pakistan has the highest figures with 3 times India rate of diabetes. The country falls in more with Egypt, some US territories then rest of South Asia.

no I was talking specifically about Pakistan, I don't think we ever had a famine in our entire 300-400 year history (or am I wrong someone with historical knowledge can correct me)
maybe in parts of SIndh?
This video highlights the problem of classifying a quarter of the world's population under one category: "South Asian".

The famines of the British Raj had little impact on modern-day Pakistan, the only region of modern-day Pakistan that was vulnerable to famine was Kashmir.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom