What's new

Why not Fatima Bhutto for the PPP?

BATMAN

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
If a Bhutto must run Pakistan, why not Fatima?
By Jemima Khan
If a Bhutto must run Pakistan, why not Fatima? - Telegraph

Death duties are being reformed in this country and the upper limit extended. They don't come more onerous than those left to Bilawal Bhutto, né Zardari. Many Oxford undergraduates consider a career in politics; few are handed a political party, a new name and the statistical probability that you're not going to die of old age, in bed.

Benazir Bhutto's 19-year-old son and heir will lead the PPP into the upcoming elections, which his party is likely to win, thanks to the martyr factor. Then he will return to Oxford to complete his studies leaving a regent, in the form of his infamous father, Asif Ali Zardari, in charge. Apparently - and this is widely disputed in Pakistan - this is in accordance with his mother's letter of wishes.

Zardari, widely known as Mr Ten Per Cent, has spent more than a decade in jail in Pakistan on corruption charges. He is believed to have looted up to $1.5 billion from the Treasury, is appealing a conviction by a Swiss court for money-laundering and faces a separate inquiry in Britain. More sinisterly, he was also accused of complicity in the murder of Benazir's brother, Murtaza Bhutto.

Pity Pakistan. If anything good could have come from Benazir's assassination it was that the PPP would reform and re-establish itself as a modern and truly democratic party. As the PPP is one half of a two-party system, the party's survival is vital for Pakistan's democracy. Founded by Benazir's father Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, it is also the only national grassroots party in Pakistan's history.

Some say the party is rotten to its core. That's untrue. There still exists a minority of incorruptible and principled politicians, as well as the favoured, acquiescent types. Others claim there are no credible leaders to replace Benazir within the party. Also untrue. Aitzaz Ahsan, president of the Supreme Court Bar Association and PPP stalwart, emerged as a national hero and natural successor when he stood up to the military and protested against the dismissal of the chief justice. For this he was jailed, beaten and kept in solitary confinement. He remains under house arrest in Lahore. And as he has credibility, experience and popular support, it suits all the power seekers both inside and outside the PPP that he stays there.

The justification for the selection of Benazir's son as chairman was that only a Bhutto could provide unity within the party. If so, then why not 25-year-old Fatima Bhutto, who is arguably more qualified for the job than her teenage Facebooking cousin? If everything's in a name, Fatima need not have changed hers in order to inherit. Brought up in Pakistan, unlike Bilawal, and a native speaker, she is an established writer and political commentator. At least she has some work experience. Aunt Benazir's first-ever job was prime minister of a 160-million-strong nation.
It helps, in a lookist society, that she's also as beautiful as her aunt - a young Salma Hayek lookalike - and has similar tragic appeal: orphaned, like most Bhuttos, as a result of a political assassination. Fatima is also politicised and outspoken. Too much so. She repeatedly accused her aunt of being complicit in the murder of her father and savagely opposed Zardari. That ruled her out.

The real reason Fatima is my favourite Bhutto, though, is that she has the sense to realise that a few good articles and the right surname don't qualify her for leadership. Unlike others in the family, she rejects the notion that political power is her birthright: "I don't think my name qualifies me or makes me the best person."
The result of Benazir's bequest may be the disintegration of the PPP. Mumtaz Bhutto, clan elder and former chief minister of Sindh, has already publicly said: "This will split the party very badly. Zardari has no political acumen."

The only consensus within the party was that Zardari was to blame for his wife's transgressions. Once emotions subside, the true horror of the succession will sink in. Zardari's rule, even as regent, is unsustainable.

When political parties claiming to represent democracy are run like monarchies, posthumously electing family members and quashing all dissent, what hope is there for democracy in the country?

It always strikes me as patronising when outsiders claim that Pakistan has no other credible leaders. The argument in favour of Benazir was always "Well, who else?"

The problem is that in a country where clans and names bear such significance, the circles of power are closed. It's the system that fails to allow other leaders to emerge that is the problem, not the lack of viable alternatives. In rural Sindh and Punjab feudal landlords have always dominated politics and the educated middle class remains excluded.

A ruling family may well produce the odd leader who is adequate and groomed to rule. It is equally likely to spawn an ineffectual, out-of-touch and parasitic elite that sucks the lifeblood from the country, perpetuating the cycle of poverty, popular revolt and military coups that has bedevilled Pakistan's history.

If the PPP wins the elections, as is expected, the question becomes: is this democracy, as our leaders in the West would have it, or rather a dynasty posing in democracy's figleaf?

May I dare to ask the opinions of pro PPP members, as to what is their personal opinion over the option of Fatima Bhutto as leader of PPP or as it suggested alternatively follow democratic lines to run the party, in respect of late Benazir considering democracy her true will known to every one?

There is doubt in my mind that the PPP with no bhutto's in charge would be the best party for pakistan.
From my own personal experience in pakistan where my family live,PPP has been the one party that has actually delivered health,roads and schools.
The only thing that puts people off the PPP is the bhutto factor.
I wouls love to see NS leading the PPP...they would get my vote everytime.

I am neutral person i do not support any political group.

So in my opinion why Why another Bhutto should lead the party ????
Why to carry on dynastic politics in Pakistan??

And why not veteran politicians of PPP like Amin Fahim, Aitizaz Ahsan someone else ???

Above all who is Jemima??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I am neutral also even though my father was a Muslim League activist in his student days before partition and as long as he was alive, he always voted for ML.

I agree with the writer; must be a ghost writer as I doubt the Gemima has deep enough knowledge of Pakistani political scene to write such a piece, may be her ex-husband helped; Fatima Bhutto apperas to be far better qualified than the young Bilawal Zardari.

However, it is an accepted fact that voting in Pakistan is based of 'braderi', clan loyalties and fuedal influence; certainly not on merit. To some extent this is true of India also ( Nehru dynasty). Until such time we are politically mature, we have to accept ground realities. We see the same names wining the elections, just faces change. Even Chuadhries are now grooming their younger generation.

PPP wants to capitalize on the sympathy vote and Bhutto's name will carry a lot of weight. We will just have to wait and see how the nation actually votes.

I am neutral also even though my father was a Muslim League activist in his student days before partition and as long as he was alive, he always voted for ML.

I agree with the writer; must be a ghost writer as I doubt the Gemima has deep enough knowledge of Pakistani political scene to write such a piece, may be her ex-husband helped; Fatima Bhutto apperas to be far better qualified than the young Bilawal Zardari.

However, it is an accepted fact that voting in Pakistan is based of 'braderi', clan loyalties and fuedal influence; certainly not on merit. To some extent this is true of India also ( Nehru dynasty). Until such time we are politically mature, we have to accept ground realities. We see the same names wining the elections, just faces change. Even Chuadhries are now grooming their younger generation.

PPP wants to capitalize on the sympathy vote and Bhutto's name will carry a lot of weight. We will just have to wait and see how the nation actually votes.

:) Sir if the feudal system and dynastic politics continues how would we be politically mature???
So it means we should let the dynastic politics continue?

I say even if we have beradri votes, even then we need to do away with this transfer of political parties' powers to kins as some property.

As far PPP hoping to cash BB's death well sure they are hoping but by listening to electorate i dont think so they would be getting much out of sympathy.

It would be again the traditional divide of votes atleast i can say it about NWFP where different areas have support for different parties.

Well Fatima from what I heard was offered the role but she refused.

aww damn i was really hoping she's be up for it :frown:
i've been reading alot of her stuff and i think she'd be good for the country.

aww damn i was really hoping she's be up for it :frown:
i've been reading alot of her stuff and i think she'd be good for the country.

Well she is a Bhutto and she must also be corrupt. Now if you mean she would be a new face in politics, then I agree with you, we do need new faces in politics. I for one am tired of seeing the same faces over and over again, and the worst part is even if a politicain leaves then a member of their family steps up. I think we need new faces.

Well Fatima from what I heard was offered the role but she refused.
From where did you heard?? as much as i know that according to the will of BB (which i have a doubt to be true) his Husband Zardari have to lead PP, which zardari gives to his son.

Regards
Wilco

From where did you heard?? as much as i know that according to the will of BB (which i have a doubt to be true) his Husband Zardari have to lead PP, which zardari gives to his son.

Regards
Wilco

Well Benazirs will, in my opinion is nothing but a fake piece paper, something which Mr.10% himself made up I suppose. Now according to this so called "will" the Chairmanship went to Zaradari. Now be full aware of Zaradari's background no one would ever voye for the PPP if he was Chairman. The party at first had suggested that Fatima become Chairman and after she refused Bilawal was chosen. I heard this on many news channels the night before this desicion was annonced. Now I am just passing on what I heard on the news, how accurate the news is we can only guess.

Hi,

Seemingly Murtaza Bhutto was an honest man---his biggest beef with Benazir was Zardair's corruption. Fatima being the daughter of her father and brought up by her mother would inherently be more honest than any other Bhutto---but at her age she can only be elected to the parliament----to be the prime minister she would have to wait for a while.

Also Sanam Bhutto had made a proposal to get Bilawal and Sanam married.

Hi,

Seemingly Murtaza Bhutto was an honest man---his biggest beef with Benazir was Zardair's corruption. Fatima being the daughter of her father and brought up by her mother would inherently be more honest than any other Bhutto---but at her age she can only be elected to the parliament----to be the prime minister she would have to wait for a while.

Also Sanam Bhutto had made a proposal to get Bilawal and Sanam married.

Well for the most part I agree with your statement but I am not sure if I would consider Murtaza honest. I have read his story, I have read the accounts of pople who were with Murtaza, and juding from thier account I dont think he was honest, I think he thought of himself as a Prince.
I think if anyone wants to read about Murtaza they ought to read a book written by Raja Anwar and the name of the book is "The Terrorist Prince." It has insights to the Bhutto family like no other book.
I also learned something new today about Sanam and Bilawal. You please elabprate more on this, I want to know about this. What do you think are the possibilities of this happening.

:) Sir if the feudal system and dynastic politics continues how would we be politically mature???
So it means we should let the dynastic politics continue?

I say even if we have beradri votes, even then we need to do away with this transfer of political parties' powers to kins as some property.

As far PPP hoping to cash BB's death well sure they are hoping but by listening to electorate i dont think so they would be getting much out of sympathy.

It would be again the traditional divide of votes atleast i can say it about NWFP where different areas have support for different parties.

Hon Jana,

I whole hertedly support your views. But we cannot change the ground realities. It is eaqully true in your province too. Bacha Khan, Wali Khan; his wife Begam Nasim Wali Khan for a short period and now his son Isfandyar Wali in case of ANP. For JUI, Mufti Mahmood and now his son Fazlur Rahman. Hayat Sherpao and then his brother Aftab Sherpao.

Regret to say that voters in Pakistan ( to some extent India too) vote for persons and not the party. Only way we are going to change this would be thru education. We are still a tribal society, NWFP and Baluchistan more so than Punjab and Sindh. Here ordinary people are looked down upon and called 'Kammies'. Higher education is limited to very few; I would say no more than 5% of the population.

IMO it would be at least another couple of generations before we get out of this servile mentality. Just look at Makhdoom Amin Fahim. He is a very well educated Pir of Hala in Sind and a person of itegrity. He could have become PM of Pakistan but follwed BB's orders and refused. Now he has accepted leadership of a 19 year old. I have no word to describe this lack of spine. At least founding fathers of PPP, Dr Mubasshar Hassan, Jatoi, Peerzada and Mumtaz Bhutto had the guts to say no to the chairmanship of Nusrat Bhutto and seperated from PPP. Alas current generation of politicians are have even less courage.

Even in PML, when Nawaz Sharif was sent to prison in 1999, he nominated in wife Kulsoom Nawaz as leader and the party accepted. I repeat my assertion that people get leaders what they desreve as it is fault of the man on the street who votes in dishonest and corrupt leaders.

BB stepped down from the constituency from where she was a candidate because Ghanwa Bhutto was another candidate and BB didn’t want rivalry among Bhutto family members this shows the authenticity of Benazir’s will as Zardari is a corrupt man.

Hon Jana,

I whole hertedly support your views. But we cannot change the ground realities. It is eaqully true in your province too. Bacha Khan, Wali Khan; his wife Begam Nasim Wali Khan for a short period and now his son Isfandyar Wali in case of ANP. For JUI, Mufti Mahmood and now his son Fazlur Rahman. Hayat Sherpao and then his brother Aftab Sherpao.

Regret to say that voters in Pakistan ( to some extent India too) vote for persons and not the party. Only way we are going to change this would be thru education. We are still a tribal society, NWFP and Baluchistan more so than Punjab and Sindh. Here ordinary people are looked down upon and called 'Kammies'. Higher education is limited to very few; I would say no more than 5% of the population.

IMO it would be at least another couple of generations before we get out of this servile mentality. Just look at Makhdoom Amin Fahim. He is a very well educated Pir of Hala in Sind and a person of itegrity. He could have become PM of Pakistan but follwed BB's orders and refused. Now he has accepted leadership of a 19 year old. I have no word to describe this lack of spine. At least founding fathers of PPP, Dr Mubasshar Hassan, Jatoi, Peerzada and Mumtaz Bhutto had the guts to say no to the chairmanship of Nusrat Bhutto and seperated from PPP. Alas current generation of politicians are have even less courage.

Even in PML, when Nawaz Sharif was sent to prison in 1999, he nominated in wife Kulsoom Nawaz as leader and the party accepted. I repeat my assertion that people get leaders what they desreve as it is fault of the man on the street who votes in dishonest and corrupt leaders.

I absoluteley agree with your views MK.. Sir

Need for changing this is so important... But none of the Educated people come infront. Only Criticism and no real work is the problem with the Good people and I say and I remain with the truth that People like you and me are also responsible for these issues since we only talk and do nothing to change the environment of our society.

Back
Top Bottom