What's new

Why Malaysia might not Buy Tejas.

Do u mean like jf17 ?

How many does China have in their fleet.
No chutiye i mean “teja”.

You cant compare it with JF-17 (120+ flying with 3 countries)
706586C7-5E75-4A3C-99DF-715379EE8B9F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realise it isnt a plug and play service wrt to Radars. Its the heart of the fighter. Changing radar means changing FCS, integration, target acquisitions and weapon testing process again.

As long as the radar is ready, which is true in the case of EL/M 2052, RBE-2AA and even an Italian Grifo derivative, flight testing can be accomplished in 6 months and certification in another 6 months. It's obviously not plug and play, but you are overestimating the work needed when the radar itself is operational.

Radars work only as well as their algorithms for processing. As of now Uttam is being tested, integrated in an prototype. What's its status, no-one know for quite some time now. Even now if UTTAM integration is successful, then it has to proceed with compatibility, power testing and weapon integration and firing. It will take atleast 3-4 years.

Uttam will be ready in 2 years after its first LCA test flight.

As of now, Malaysia has invited Tejas just for more opinion process. It will be a good platform for HAL to invest in marketing and technical proposals.

Yep. It's only an RFI. Even they will take a year or more to release the RFP. It depends on what they are asking. They are asking for something like the Hawk and M-346, which do not carry radars, and also fully fledged fighters like LCA and JF-17, which have radars. So it's likely they are not looking at AESA radar. If they want a regular 4th gen configuration that can go supersonic with a reasonably modern cockpit, then LCA Mk1's avionics configuration already fits the bill.

If they ask for something more advanced than Mk1, then I do not know how Hawk, Yak etc fit in.

We have significant political influence over Malaysia though, especially now that we are militarising A&N Islands.

Other than that, with Israeli HMD and radar its not going to work with them. Yea we need to test an new HMD too.

The French can deliver a fully functioning radar, EW suite and Topsight HMDS, all integrated. So can the Italians.

As long as the radar is ready, which is true in the case of EL/M 2052, RBE-2AA and even an Italian Grifo derivative, flight testing can be accomplished in 6 months and certification in another 6 months. It's obviously not plug and play, but you are overestimating the work needed when the radar itself is operational.

Uttam will be ready in 2 years after its first LCA test flight.

Let me tell you something. Uttam was integrated on a Prototype on 2017 end/2018 start. Till date it hasnt been test flown. Only tower testing of Uttam has been done. That's now 14 months. We are developing a fighter scale radar for the first time. There are bound to be issues. Your 6 months time scale is a number you are pulling out of your fingers just like that.

I have done a technical proposal for a part which goes in a Thales Radar. It focking took 8 months just to develop test processes for that part. It wasnt even a complete radar. Just a board to be used in a radar. That part never went into production though for various reasons. And radar testing is easy?

If the French and Italians can develop everything for us, why bother even trying to do that for meagre 24 fighter jet order? The development cost alone wont give us profit. For maintainence the Malaysians will have to go to France to do small and nutty jobs? Just keep our heads down and wait for Mk1A. I will be really happy if it comes along around 2020 and production from 2021.

Let me tell you something. Uttam was integrated on a Prototype on 2017 end/2018 start. Till date it hasnt been test flown. Only tower testing of Uttam has been done. That's now 14 months. We are developing a fighter scale radar for the first time. There are bound to be issues.

Uttam has completed tower testing and helicopter testing. Uttam's integration is still not complete on LCA, it's undergoing ground tests and is expected to undergo test flights only from this year.

Your 6 months time scale is a number you are pulling out of your fingers just like that.

All the problems can be rectified during the 3-year production time of the aircraft. Avionics configuration is frozen 18 months before delivery. 6 months is what it takes to flight test a fully functioning radar. Note the magic words "fully functioning".

I have done a technical proposal for a part which goes in a Thales Radar. It focking took 8 months just to develop test processes for that part. It wasnt even a complete radar. Just a board to be used in a radar. That part never went into production though for various reasons. And radar testing is easy?

What we are talking about is a fully developed radar for Mk1A, for Malaysia. The French and Italians have a fully developed radar. The fact is various configurations with different radars and EW suites have already been studied for the LCA Mk1A program.

As for Uttam, it's far ahead compared to what you believe. In fact, DRDO wanted to make it ready for IAF's Mk1A, which was obviously unrealistic at the time.

If the French and Italians can develop everything for us, why bother even trying to do that for meagre 24 fighter jet order? The development cost alone wont give us profit. For maintainence the Malaysians will have to go to France to do small and nutty jobs?

Malaysia is only one market. We plan to market the non-Israeli configuration throughout the Muslim world. Indonesia needs fighters and so does UAE. Not to mention a whole host of African Muslim nations. Whereas countries like Vietnam, Philippines etc can go for the Israeli configuration. Never mind an all-Indian configuration.

Just keep our heads down and wait for Mk1A. I will be really happy if it comes along around 2020 and production from 2021.

That is the plan. Mk1 isn't a proper fighter jet due to the weight issues, so Malaysia won't accept it when there are more mature aircraft around. Only Mk1A will suit the Malaysians. But the avionics of the Malaysian Mk1A can possibly have Mk1 avionics, simply because we do not know the specifics yet, whether the Malaysians will ask for AESA or not, for the reasons I have already stated.

Mk1A itself will take as long as 2023 though. You can expect the Mk1A to be in production while the Malaysians come round for contract negotiations.

We are developing a fighter scale radar for the first time.

This would be our second radar. The first indigenous radar is the one flying on Mk1. Yeah, don't get fooled by reports saying it's Israeli. The radar is fully Indian, but with an Israeli signal processor.

Tejas mk1a is going to be awesome. Basic tejas is good but not the great plane it's supposed to be

Since India is a self-declared Supa Powa, it could use its over-bearing influence on Malaysia.

Back
Top Bottom