What's new

Why Kalam Represents India, And Aurangzeb Does Not

Do you think renaming Aurangzeb road as APJ Abdul Kalam road, a good decision?

• Yes

Votes: 64 67.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Doesn't make any difference. I'm

Votes: 10 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Levina

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India

Why Kalam represents India and Aurangzeb does not

There was nothing secular in what Aurangzeb did. Therefore the Aurangzeb narrative must be discussed and confronted, and not evaded on the grounds of hollow secular arguments. Renaming Aurangzeb Road as APJ Abdul Kalam Road only proves this Mughal emperor cannot escape public scrutiny

While reading Gopal Krishna Gandhi’sargument against Aurangzeb being brought to life by this act of renaming Aurangzeb Road after APJ Abdul Kalam, he has fallen into the familiar bogey of the Indian brand of secularism.

What he is saying in effect is that while he completely agrees that Aurangzeb was evil, it is not advisable to discuss him in the open, as the debate would polarise the discourse. Besides, he contends that Aurangzeb’s actions or Aurangzebiyat should be disconnected from him. This is rather disingenuous.

So the murderer of his father, brothers, nephew, and sister; the oppressor of the Hindus for their faith, the man who would not honour his words upon Qur’an (Reference: Zaffarnama of Guru Gobind Singh), and who would apply Sharia law in a Hindu majority country, the man who ordered the Sufi saint Sarmad and Guru Tegh Bahdur beheaded, who destroyed the temples of Kashi, Mathura and Somnath to build mosques on the sites; should not be discussed as it brings his ghost alive much to the discomfiture of many who either want to avoid Aurangzeb’s Talibani narrative or secretly wish it to take root again.

People need to know that Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed after being found guilty of blasphemy under Islamic Law. How was he different from the Taliban or Al Qaeda, if not ISIS?

Much though I admire the erudition of Gopal Krishna Gandhi (He was in the Mussoorie Academy last year to deliver a lecture to the common group of Phase V and Foundation Course IAS and Civil Services officers), I find this timidity to tackle an extremist narrative head-on a typical weakness of liberal democratic countries.

It can be seen in Obama’s assertion when he says that what ISIS is doing is not Islam, whereas every follower of ISIS believes that they are doing exactly what is contained in the Islamic scriptures. Even Europe was living in this world of make-believe till Charlie Hebdo happened and they woke up with a rude shock.

India too has to counter the hate narrative contained within post-Quranic Islam with a counter narrative – not only of the syncretic values epitomised by APJ Abdul Kalam and Sarmad but also to emphasize the Indian spiritual thought which considers unquestioning belief the lowest form of spiritual calling, and even that Bhakti Yoga process or path is a completely non-violent one.

This blending of Bhakti Marg and Sufism is what Dara Shikoh (some Persian lovers would prefer it as Dara Shukoh but Dara Shikoh is what India at large knows him as) was attempting when Aurangzeb’s extremist Islam won – not in the heart of Indians or the battlefield of ideas but on the battlefield of war of succession.

For the first time, I am making public a letter written by Muhammad Akbar, the second son of Aurangzeb to Sawai Ram Singh of Jaipur. This is part of the documents and firmans kept preserved in the State Archives of Bikaner and form part of the extraordinary research of Dr. Mahendra Khadgawat, Director of that Institute. The original letter written in the style of a firman is followed by its Hindi translation. Even his own son avers in this letter that Aurangzeb is biased against Hindus and his father’s actions portray his prejudice.

It is clear as crystal to any impartial observer that the only thing common between APJ Abdul Kalam and Aurangzeb was their love for playing Veena. Even these cultural activities were banned by Aurangzeb as he became more and more radicalised and gave up the more tolerant style of his predecessors.

He decided to bring in the extreme Arabic version of Islam into a country in which Muslims were in a considerable minority. Forced conversions, imposition of a religious tax on kaafirs (infidels or nonbelievers), destruction of holy sites, extreme forms of torture of adversaries all led to a collapse of authority and rebellions broke out everywhere.

He first tried to annex Rajput kingdoms, but that resulted in loss of authority in North India. Then Marathas and his own son, Akbar rose up in revolt and he had to spend last 26 years of his 49 year rule in the Deccan playing a game of roulette with the Marathas and Bahmani sultans. His foolhardy ventures ultimately paved the way for the end of Muslim rule and Sharia Law in India forever.

Even Pakistan hasn’t been able to bring full fledged Sharia Law of the Aurangzeb era.

So both the apologists for Aurangzeb, and those unwilling to confront his ghost have to just take a gulp and adjust to the new realities. The Aurangzeb narrative must be discussed, confronted and defeated. No use evading it on the grounds of a hollow secular argument.

There was nothing secular in what Aurangzeb did nor is there anything secular in the ideology that he sought to impose on India. Kalam, on the other hand, is the very embodiment of India’s secular ethos in the Dara Shikoh mould.

Aurangzeb, therefore, is a ghost which India has to openly exorcise. As the progenitor of Aurangzebiyat, he cannot escape scrutiny on the basis of some phoney differentiation. Aurangzeb and Aurangzebiyat are one. Three fourths has been done by renaming Aurangzeb Road as APJ Abdul Kalam Road, let the remaining one fourth be done by renaming Aurangzeb Lane as Dara Shikoh lane.

Last edited:
@levina The only problem I have with Indian establishment is, it takes someone to die for getting their rightful place in Indian narrative. Why weren't these names changed when Kalam saab was alive, why did it take for us to do this after his death.

And why now, why wasn't Aurangazeb road or aurangabad renamed after Shivaji right after Independence. After all the concept of modern Secular India, absolutely lies in Purna Swaraj laid by Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, the greatest possible hero, the best underdog story that unfolded in our history.

Renaming landmarks that bear the names of scums like Aurangazeb and Murshid Quli Khan (Murshidabad), Akbar's Alhabad (originally Prayag), should have changed either to thir original names or after gem of leaders like Mulana Azad, Patel, Gandhi, Bhagat singh, and Tilak etc, long long time ago...

There was nothing secular in what Aurangzeb did. Therefore the Aurangzeb narrative must be discussed and confronted, and not evaded on the grounds of hollow secular arguments. Renaming Aurangzeb Road as APJ Abdul Kalam Road only proves this Mughal emperor cannot escape public scrutiny

While reading Gopal Krishna Gandhi’sargument against Aurangzeb being brought to life by this act of renaming Aurangzeb Road after APJ Abdul Kalam, he has fallen into the familiar bogey of the Indian brand of secularism.

What he is saying in effect is that while he completely agrees that Aurangzeb was evil, it is not advisable to discuss him in the open, as the debate would polarise the discourse. Besides, he contends that Aurangzeb’s actions or Aurangzebiyat should be disconnected from him. This is rather disingenuous.

So the murderer of his father, brothers, nephew, and sister; the oppressor of the Hindus for their faith, the man who would not honour his words upon Qur’an (Reference: Zaffarnama of Guru Gobind Singh), and who would apply Sharia law in a Hindu majority country, the man who ordered the Sufi saint Sarmad and Guru Tegh Bahdur beheaded, who destroyed the temples of Kashi, Mathura and Somnath to build mosques on the sites; should not be discussed as it brings his ghost alive much to the discomfiture of many who either want to avoid Aurangzeb’s Talibani narrative or secretly wish it to take root again.

People need to know that Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed after being found guilty of blasphemy under Islamic Law. How was he different from the Taliban or Al Qaeda, if not ISIS?

Much though I admire the erudition of Gopal Krishna Gandhi (He was in the Mussoorie Academy last year to deliver a lecture to the common group of Phase V and Foundation Course IAS and Civil Services officers), I find this timidity to tackle an extremist narrative head-on a typical weakness of liberal democratic countries.

It can be seen in Obama’s assertion when he says that what ISIS is doing is not Islam, whereas every follower of ISIS believes that they are doing exactly what is contained in the Islamic scriptures. Even Europe was living in this world of make-believe till Charlie Hebdo happened and they woke up with a rude shock.

India too has to counter the hate narrative contained within post-Quranic Islam with a counter narrative – not only of the syncretic values epitomised by APJ Abdul Kalam and Sarmad but also to emphasize the Indian spiritual thought which considers unquestioning belief the lowest form of spiritual calling, and even that Bhakti Yoga process or path is a completely non-violent one.

This blending of Bhakti Marg and Sufism is what Dara Shikoh (some Persian lovers would prefer it as Dara Shukoh but Dara Shikoh is what India at large knows him as) was attempting when Aurangzeb’s extremist Islam won – not in the heart of Indians or the battlefield of ideas but on the battlefield of war of succession.

For the first time, I am making public a letter written by Muhammad Akbar, the second son of Aurangzeb to Sawai Ram Singh of Jaipur. This is part of the documents and firmans kept preserved in the State Archives of Bikaner and form part of the extraordinary research of Dr. Mahendra Khadgawat, Director of that Institute. The original letter written in the style of a firman is followed by its Hindi translation. Even his own son avers in this letter that Aurangzeb is biased against Hindus and his father’s actions portray his prejudice.

It is clear as crystal to any impartial observer that the only thing common between APJ Abdul Kalam and Aurangzeb was their love for playing Veena. Even these cultural activities were banned by Aurangzeb as he became more and more radicalised and gave up the more tolerant style of his predecessors.

He decided to bring in the extreme Arabic version of Islam into a country in which Muslims were in a considerable minority. Forced conversions, imposition of a religious tax on kaafirs (infidels or nonbelievers), destruction of holy sites, extreme forms of torture of adversaries all led to a collapse of authority and rebellions broke out everywhere.

He first tried to annex Rajput kingdoms, but that resulted in loss of authority in North India. Then Marathas and his own son, Akbar rose up in revolt and he had to spend last 26 years of his 49 year rule in the Deccan playing a game of roulette with the Marathas and Bahmani sultans. His foolhardy ventures ultimately paved the way for the end of Muslim rule and Sharia Law in India forever.

Even Pakistan hasn’t been able to bring full fledged Sharia Law of the Aurangzeb era.

So both the apologists for Aurangzeb, and those unwilling to confront his ghost have to just take a gulp and adjust to the new realities. The Aurangzeb narrative must be discussed, confronted and defeated. No use evading it on the grounds of a hollow secular argument.

There was nothing secular in what Aurangzeb did nor is there anything secular in the ideology that he sought to impose on India. Kalam, on the other hand, is the very embodiment of India’s secular ethos in the Dara Shikoh mould.

Aurangzeb, therefore, is a ghost which India has to openly exorcise. As the progenitor of Aurangzebiyat, he cannot escape scrutiny on the basis of some phoney differentiation. Aurangzeb and Aurangzebiyat are one. Three fourths has been done by renaming Aurangzeb Road as APJ Abdul Kalam Road, let the remaining one fourth be done by renaming Aurangzeb Lane as Dara Shikoh lane.

Last edited:
But our sickularist think otherwise....
I am sorry brother.

I am secular.... Being secular doesn't mean being a hypocrite.

I am absolutely secular and I want
Allahabad - to either change to Prayag, or named after a contemporary personality commemorating their contribution to India.
Nizamabad back to Indur or named after a contemporary personality commemorating their contribution to India.
Aurangabad - to be renamed after Shivaji or Sambhaji, or back to Khadki (which might be a problem as there is one already in pune)

what you cant create a brand new road for your new indian legend?-

why unnecessarily dragging the name of good ol dead Indian man in any controversy-

you guys cant even give a dead patriotic Muslim proper recognition-

its turning out to be like filling a quota- one muslim goes another one taking his place- aurangzeb or kalam- wth??-

Give em a new road-

what you cant create a brand new road for your new indian legend?-

why unnecessarily dragging the name of good ol dead Indian man in any controversy-

you guys cant even give a dead patriotic Muslim proper recognition-

its turning out to be like filling a quota- one muslim goes another one taking his place- aurangzeb or kalam- wth??-

Give em a new road-
Well, that stems from primarily your ignorance....

Several buildings, colleges and scientific institutions were renamed or named in honour of Kalam following his death, including:

An agricultural college at Kishanganj, Bihar, was renamed the "Dr. Kalam Agricultural College, Kishanganj" by the Bihar state government on the day of Kalam's funeral. The state government also announced it would name a proposed science city after Kalam.

Uttar Pradesh Technical University (UPTU) was renamed "A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University" by the Uttar Pradesh state government.

A new research institute for digestive diseases research in Travancore.

A new academic complex at Mahatma Gandhi University in Kerala.

A new science centre and planetarium in Lawspet, Puducherry.

Hopefully that answers your dilemma.

I disagree with changing historical names based on how a person appears in today's context.

You cannot compare the present day norms with what prevailed 5 centuries ago.

Back then , the World order was based on Physical subjugation.

Today's model of World order is based ECONOMIC HEGEMONY.

Well, that stems from primarily your ignorance....

Several buildings, colleges and scientific institutions were renamed or named in honour of Kalam following his death, including:

An agricultural college at Kishanganj, Bihar, was renamed the "Dr. Kalam Agricultural College, Kishanganj" by the Bihar state government on the day of Kalam's funeral. The state government also announced it would name a proposed science city after Kalam.

Uttar Pradesh Technical University (UPTU) was renamed "A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University" by the Uttar Pradesh state government.

A new research institute for digestive diseases research in Travancore.

A new academic complex at Mahatma Gandhi University in Kerala.

A new science centre and planetarium in Lawspet, Puducherry.

Hopefully that answers your dilemma.

From the OP i gather people who support the renaming are true indians-
and the people who disagree are taliban mentality supporting an ISIS like butcher who killed, enslaved beheaded hindus and few singhs in old times- -

My dilemma is why such a fuss over renaming a road after him?-
and why you named the road Aurangzeb at first place?- considering the butcher he was-
please clear that as well-

From the OP i gather people who support the renaming are true indians-
and the people who disagree are taliban mentality supporting an ISIS like butcher who killed, enslaved beheaded hindus and few singhs in old times- -

My dilemma is why such a fuss over renaming a road after him?-
and why you named the road Aurangzeb at first place?- considering the butcher he was-
please clear that as well-

We didn't, It was named during the british era, and congress idiots never cared enough to rename it.

Last edited:
I am sorry brother.

I am secular.... Being secular doesn't mean being a hypocrite.

I am absolutely secular and I want
Allahabad - to either change to Prayag, or named after a contemporary personality commemorating their contribution to India.
Nizamabad back to Indur or named after a contemporary personality commemorating their contribution to India.
Aurangabad - to be renamed after Shivaji or Sambhaji, or back to Khadki (which might be a problem as there is one already in pune)
I concur brother but my contention was that secularism has been hijacked by sickularist to keep their vote bank politics...... N what would be the biggest roadblock if we change the name one by one? Same rhymes from sickularist socio political gangs which I n you are opposing in different tone....
Btw your list is too short....

There must be a clear process of a high level committee that is constituted at the national level (archaeologists, historians, religious leaders, forensic experts, scientists, geologists, etc.) to clearly identify those structures that were built by razing a pre-existing native structure and replacing it with another over it, on the same soil.

Such structures should be demolished legally by the state and the help of experts taken to restore the destroyed original structure.

There is global oooohing and aaahing over the destruction in Palmyra today. India is home to thousands of such Palmyras, and we stand as mute politically correct spectators on our own land, held hostage by our own lack of clarity of thought on what is wrong and unacceptable.

I concur brother but my contention was that secularism has been hijacked by sickularist to keep their vote bank politics...... N what would be the biggest roadblock if we change the name one by one? Same rhymes from sickularist socio political gangs which I n you are opposing in different tone....
Btw your list is too short....
This is just off the top of my head, change all the British names too, Victoria memorial anyone.

There must be a clear process of a high level committee that is constituted at the national level (archaeologists, historians, religious leaders, forensic experts, scientists, geologists, etc.) to clearly identify those structures that were built by razing a pre-existing native structure and replacing it with another over it, on the same soil.

Such structures should be demolished legally by the state and the help of experts taken to restore the destroyed original structure.

There is global oooohing and aaahing over the destruction in Palmyra today. India is home to thousands of such Palmyras, and we stand as mute politically correct spectators on our own land, held hostage by our own lack of clarity of thought on what is wrong and unacceptable.
We are polite, lazy and sprinkled with a legacy of institutional inaction throughout our history... this challta hai attitude is going be a big bamboo for our future generations.

I disagree with changing historical names based on how a person appears in today's context.

You cannot compare the present day norms with what prevailed 5 centuries ago.

Back then , the World order was based on Physical subjugation.

Today's model of World order is based ECONOMIC HEGEMONY.
Tyranny is Tyranny, irrespective if it was 20 years ago or 2000 years ago...

Right, stop in conversing in English too, stop using all European invented amenities too; what about destroying Taj Mahal and other Mughal structures through which Bharat earns millions from the tourists? why not dig up the railway lines that British laid? Why not raze to ground the Schools and Hospitals that were erected by British? somebody? Afghans, Mughals and British taught Bhartis how to live with civility otherwise what they were before? Brothers inter-marrying sisters to protect 'rajwad'; women burnt alive together with deceased husbands; humans divided into horrible caste system and forced to lived under so-called high-caste and good for nothing priests; innocent girls forced to work as daasis in temples and 'serving' priests. Bharatis are a bunch of hypocrites irrespective of whether they are Hindutvawadi terrorists or so-called seculars. They cant provide toilets to their people but hell-bent on changing the name of roads. As if all other problems of Bharat are solved, world's largest slums are gone, female feticide is controlled, AIDS epidemic is all but wiped out, dowry -related burnings are stopped...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom