What's new

Why Jemima Khan entered into a 'benami transaction' with Imran

Why Jemima Khan entered into a 'benami transaction' with Imran

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan who announced to quit politics in case any ‘benami transaction’ (nameless transaction) was established against him is now caught in a dilemma as his ex-wife, Jemima Khan, has hinted that the land deal in Bani Gala, Islamabad in 2004, was a ‘benami transaction’.

Not only Imran had opposed such transactions, he has been fiercely advocating a ban on them and pledged last year to do so if PTI is voted to power.

But while Jemima has mentioned a benami transaction in a document, lawyers are divided on whether the power of attorney she gave to a PTI leader fits the definition of a “nameless” transaction. The PTI spokesman has denied this on behalf of the party chairman and Imran’s legal consultant offered no comment, but Jemima’s document obtained by The News offers detail contrary to the party position in this regard.

In the sworn-affidavit, Jemima Khan says Bani Gala land measuring 300 kanals and five marlas was transferred in her name by ex-husband Imran Khan as ‘benami transaction.’

In Para-3 of her general power of attorney dated September 21, 2004, Jemima Khan had stated: “The land was transferred in my name through mutations No. 7056, 7225, 7361, 7538, by my ex-husband Mr Imran Ahmed Khan Niazi as a “benami transaction.” After the separation/divorce between me and Mr Imran Ahmed Khan Niazi, I do not intend to keep the land with me.” In the entire affidavit, no amount of money regarding this transaction has been mentioned.

When The News contacted noted lawyer Abid Hasan Manto for comments, he said if something was put on record through a power of attorney, it should be taken as a fact. “When there is a power of attorney and signature of the person concerned, it is prima facie a fact.”

Another leading lawyer Athar Minallah says by declaring that it was ‘benami transaction’, Jemima Khan has denied Imran Khan’s claim reported in the media that he borrowed money from her for purchasing the land and returned it on selling his flat in London.

“She has put him in an awkward position by stating this. The usage of ‘benami transaction’ in power of attorney (a legal document), indicates that Imran Khan paid from his own pocket but chose to register the land in his wife’s name (and it didn’t appear in his tax return details where he could have been questioned about the source of money),” Athar said.

“Also, declaring ‘benami transaction’ means that she was transferring back the property to the real owner without claiming any money (since she was not the real owner),” the leading lawyer said and added: “Once transferred back in Imran Khan’s name, it is not benami. But it was when he transferred it in Jemima Khan’s name.”

Through this power of attorney, Jemima nominated Saifullah Sarwar Khan Niazi, now PTI’s additional secretary general, as her representative in Pakistan during the course of transferring back this land to Imran Khan. Since Jemima was unable to come to Pakistan, according to her affidavit, she had stated: “I do hereby appoint Mr. Saifullah Sarwar Khan Niazi son of Imran Ahsan Khan Niazi...to appear before the Revenue Office/Registrar and get the land transferred...”

As The News approached Saifullah Niazi for comments he neither denied nor confirmed, saying it was difficult to remember something that happened long ago. However, he confirmed that the full name appeared in the affidavit is his.

By mentioning ‘benami transaction’, the ex-wife of PTI leader has raised questions about Imran Khan’s claim that he never had any ‘benami transaction’ (nameless deal) in his dealings, private or public.

According to the definition, ‘benami’ is a transaction wherein a person buys a property in the name of another person or gratuitously transfers property to another person without any intention to benefit that other person.

In a ‘benami transaction’ the property is purchased not in the name of the real beneficiary, but someone who is his/her unofficial representative (benamidar). Many politicians and bureaucrats are understood to have purchased lands and kept accounts this way.

For example, Moonis Elahi’s bank accounts/property was in the name of his wife and a servant in the NICL scam so it does not appear in his personal details, as he has to show the source of income and how the assets were amassed.

Legal experts say benami transactions are resorted to by some people either to commit fraud on creditors, to evade taxes and thus defraud the state or to avoid certain political and social risks. It also provides an opportunity for putting black money into more productive use.

In the PTI context, why Jemima used this word remains a mystery. When PTI spokesman Shafqat Mahmood was asked about this document, he responded: “The purchase of land in Bani Gala was initially paid for by his wife Jemima Khan. Imran Khan paid her back after his London flat was sold. The property was in Jemima Khan’s name and after their divorce was gifted back to Imran Khan in 2005 by his ex wife.” “It was not a benami transaction and all relevant taxes were paid. Please contact Yusuf Islam Associates in Lahore who are Mr Khan’s tax advisors if you have further questions,” the PTI leader said. When Yusuf Islam was contacted, he said he was not allowed to disclose property details. Yusuf said the PTI spokesman had already taken up this query with him and that he refused to help.

Why Jemima Khan entered into a benami transaction with Imran - thenews.com.pk

Soo What??? We will still vote for Imran Khan bcz he is the only hope, he is our hero..he is blah....blah....blah..........:hitwall::hitwall:

Law itself is never to be blamed, the point is the misuse, ImranKhan and PTI has always maintained that misuse of the law should not take place, in this case it is not used to hide corruption...

ImranKhan borrowed money from Jemima, paid off with his London flat (all documented). The borrowed part is not mentioned as it was a matter between husband and wife. (not between ImranKhan and a bank)

whats the fuss?

Law itself is never to be blamed, the point is the misuse, ImranKhan and PTI has always maintained that misuse of the law should which is to hide corruption...

ImranKhan borrowed money from Jemima, paid off with his London flat (all documented). The borrowed part is not mentioned as it was a matter between husband and wife. (not between ImranKhan and a bank

whats the fuss?

They are getting desperate, they can't find any dirt on Imran Khan so they are making up lies and going back to old lies.

I told you PMLN trolls before, please keep your lies interesting at least. Boring lies are no fun, make up some fun lies so we can have a good laugh. :lol:

It was a 'benami' transaction all right but it was revealed as such and the land was eventually transferred in his name which he has declared in his assets. This 'benami' thing is part of our business culture which encourages corruption.

Doing a 'benami' transaction and then declaring the asset is okay but keeping 'benami' assets as has Zawaz Sharif and other corrupt politicians is actually a way to conceal reall assets.

last time i checked IK said he will quit politics if it is founded that he is involved in BENAMI transaction

and you know the funny thing it is his personal matter and there is no proof of any corruption in this benami transaction as he later declared all his assets compared to N League and PPP who have done countless benami transactions with the public money.

its really pathetic to target some ones personal life ...

Next time dont ask about Zardari assets then
Law itself is never to be blamed, the point is the misuse, ImranKhan and PTI has always maintained that misuse of the law should which is to hide corruption...

ImranKhan borrowed money from Jemima, paid off with his London flat (all documented). The borrowed part is not mentioned as it was a matter between husband and wife. (not between ImranKhan and a bank)

whats the fuss?

my dear check the news. It is an affidavit and there is no mention of borrowing money. Only mention is of Benami transaction

And if people have any question they can ask the writer how much money NS paid him

https://twitter.com/#!/UmarCheema1

To all Pti fan Yes we hate you yes we are moron

but the problem is IK himself said he will leave Politics if found guilty of Benami so plz can IK clear this or plz leave politics :D

A question for Tammem, You want Pakistan to be ruled by a party who has fake degree holders? jail breakers? Friendly oppositions? Who didn't introduced a single LAW beneficial for the people of Pakistan on National Level? They blocked the accountability bill? They would bring the same Team of 1999 who was loathed at that time when Musharraf kicked their A$$es and you whole neighbourhood thanked ALLAH that Ganja was kicked out?

I think this thread shows how clean IMRAN KHAN is. If his detractors cannot find anything on him and have to go to a husband wife deal, they are clearly grasping at straws. These desperate people think Pakistanis will be fooled by their tricks. Imran Khan's wealth is well documented. It is the wealth of the Master Thief Asif Ali (Baba) Zardari that is unaccounted for.

Actually the entire shosha is from one guy alone who mentioned various things but falls short on facts without mentioning any documents or proof of this benami transaction. He has mysteriously found a confession by Jemima and also mysteriously knows that Lawyers are breaking their head upon it - this chap is Umar Cheema

Just in march he made a false claim against PTI and had to issue a retraction when the PTI legal team threatened litigation - so you can be sure he has a personal axe to grind. Notice how he starts the article...

You will not find a person who has done nothing wrong, you have to choose someone who can be tolerated.

Actually the entire shosha is from one guy alone who mentioned various things but falls short on facts without mentioning any documents or proof of this benami transaction. He has mysteriously found a confession by Jemima and also mysteriously knows that Lawyers are breaking their head upon it - this chap is Umar Cheema

Just in march he made a false claim against PTI and had to issue a retraction when the PTI legal team threatened litigation - so you can be sure he has a personal axe to grind. Notice how he starts the article...

I think PTI should go to courts then because this is a serious claim. He is providing dates + para numbers etc
In the sworn-affidavit, Jemima Khan says Bani Gala land measuring 300 kanals and five marlas was transferred in her name by ex-husband Imran Khan as ‘benami transaction.’

In Para-3 of her general power of attorney dated September 21, 2004, Jemima Khan had stated: “The land was transferred in my name through mutations No. 7056, 7225, 7361, 7538, by my ex-husband Mr Imran Ahmed Khan Niazi as a “benami transaction.” After the separation/divorce between me and Mr Imran Ahmed Khan Niazi, I do not intend to keep the land with me.” In the entire affidavit, no amount of money regarding this transaction has been mentioned.

I think PTI should go to courts then because this is a serious claim. He is providing dates + para numbers etc

In a legal document they use the term benami transaction? Moreover they end up making a quote within a quote?

Sounds like a botched up attempt.

The reaction of insafiyans here is not different to what we usually see. and this is not good for Pakistan

zeeshan-23-5-12-580x1618.jpg

In a legal document they use the term benami transaction? Moreover they end up making a quote within a quote?

Sounds like a botched up attempt.
thats what i am saying go to courts. This news was all over twitter but no one from Pti replied ( i am sorry if i missed )

This non-professional journalist is also claiming that he contacted concerned people from Pti but they didnt gave any comment.

Its not that I want IK to be hanged all I want is IK should clarify the situation because a year ago if insafiyans remember they were campaigning against Benami Transactions and IK said he will do this and do that. Now is the time.

The reaction of insafiyans here is not different to what we usually see. and this is not good for Pakistan

zeeshan-23-5-12-580x1618.jpg

thats what i am saying go to courts. This news was all over twitter but no one from Pti replied ( i am sorry if i missed )

This non-professional journalist is also claiming that he contacted concerned people from Pti but they didnt gave any comment.

Its not that I want IK to be hanged all I want is IK should clarify the situation because a year ago if insafiyans remember they were campaigning against Benami Transactions and IK said he will do this and do that. Now is the time.

One lame duck guy, out of the entire media of Pakistan... One that was made to retract his early statement on PTI and so now he holds a grudge. Last time legal action was taken, this time it will too.

One lame duck guy, out of the entire media of Pakistan... One that was made to retract his early statement on PTI and so now he holds a grudge. Last time legal action was taken, this time it will too.

now we are talking. :D i hope the matter is cleared ( bcz IK said he will leave politics if found guilty of practising Benami Transaction)

one more message to insafiyan. There are many thread where people raise question over NS but when IK's acts are questioned you people label it as pathetic and desperate. why???

last time i checked IK said he will quit politics if it is founded that he is involved in BENAMI transaction

my dear check the news. It is an affidavit and there is no mention of borrowing money. Only mention is of Benami transaction

but the problem is IK himself said he will leave Politics if found guilty of Benami so plz can IK clear this or plz leave politics :D

Yes the hypothesis Umar Cheema alleged is since the borrowing of money is not mentioned (which I said is between husband and wife) in the general power of attorney and that affidavit says its a "baynami transaction" therefore, it must be that ImranKhan never actually borrowed money from Jemima... whereas ImranKhan has clarified that he wanted to purchase this property and didnt buy in his own name since the lender was Jemima, therefore untill ImranKhan didnot pay off Jemima, he didnot transfer the property to his name, and once he did it, he got general power of attorney to Saifullah Niazi from Jemima as she didnt wish to take this property (which was a gift to Jemima after ImranKhan paid off his debt to Jemima), but out of good faith she transferred rights to saidullah niazi to look after the legal affairs, as she left.

like you said found guilty of baynami, now let me know where is the misuse of the law in all this?

just for your and other readers understanding will you register a loan from your wife on a stamp paper so that its documented? begin thinking with this point and you will start to understand that there is neither anything hidden nor illegal in this.

They are getting desperate, they can't find any dirt on Imran Khan so they are making up lies and going back to old lies.

I told you PMLN trolls before, please keep your lies interesting at least. Boring lies are no fun, make up some fun lies so we can have a good laugh. :lol:

If we implement libel laws, it will do hell lot a good favour to Pakistan, not only that these false allegations are put to rest, but original documents be produced before court of law to prove innocence unless muk muka adalat say bahir hi ker liya jaye :D

Yes the hypothesis Umar Cheema alleged is since the borrowing of money is not mentioned (which I said is between husband and wife) in the general power of attorney and that affidavit says its a "baynami transaction" therefore, it must be that ImranKhan never actually borrowed money from Jemima... whereas ImranKhan has clarified that he wanted to purchase this property and didnt buy in his own name since the lender was Jemima, therefore untill ImranKhan didnot pay off Jemima, he didnot transfer the property to his name, and once he did it, he got general power of attorney to Saifullah Niazi from Jemima as she didnt wish to take this property (which was a gift to Jemima after ImranKhan paid off his debt to Jemima), but out of good faith she transferred rights to saidullah niazi to look after the legal affairs, as she left.

like you said found guilty of baynami, now let me know where is the misuse of the law in all this?

just for your and other readers understanding will you register a loan from your wife on a stamp paper so that its documented? begin thinking with this point and you will start to understand that there is neither anything hidden nor illegal in this.

What????? Politicians use this benami formula for their benefit and IK said if given power he will make sure this Benami is banned and if he is found to be guilty in such activity he will quit

CAN YOU PLZ READ THE ARTICLE BEFORE COMMENTING???? No one is saying its illegal. All we want is IK to prove this was not a benami transaction or LEAVE POLITICS AS PROMISED :D

The educated political parties like PTI & MQM has become sore in the eyes of propagandists & feudals of ANP, PPP, PML-N etc etc.

Dall kesay batay gi jab corrupt ANP, PMLN aur PPP awaam ko lootnay mein masroof hogi. Poora mulk tou tum logo nay tabah kardiya ab khudara Pakistan ki jan choro aur Pakistan ko parhay likhay logon ko chalanay do.

Look who is talking :angel: lol lol Jo un he ( PPP ANP ) keh guud main baite hain :lol:

Back
Top Bottom