What's new

Why Izumo-class and F-35B is a great couple ?

BoQ77

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
While Izumo-class carrier has the length 814 feet similar to USS Wasp ( 844 feet ), the F35B has amazing short take off ( less than 550 feet ) and provide vertical landing ability ( and vertical take off ) too.

How they could achieved that amazing result? F-35B has a powerful, reliable engine.

It takes few sec, the proven powerful P&W F135-PW-600 engine already launched a F-35B into the sky without any external support from a flat-top like Izumo-class.

F35-B on Izumo class would be seen as soon as the first F35Bs delivered to Japan. They could accommodate 12 F35-B on each Izumo ( USS Wasp could provide room for 20 F-35B )

Wasp-Izumo-Compare.jpg

Last edited:
How much load and how many weapon F-35B can bring when launched from izumo?
How izumo bring it into her hull?

I've watch 2 of the video.

I need credible data, not video made by random people.

If you dont have the data, then how come you claim they are good couple

Which video you watched? what you learn from them?
The main reason because F-35B require less support from flight deck.

How much load and how many weapon F-35B can bring when launched from izumo?
How izumo bring it into her hull?

1. F-35B could utilize just like what they could in land airstrips
2. If you mean "it" as F-35B then Izumo could move them down by 2 of its own big elevators.

Which video you watched? what you learn from them?
The main reason because F-35B require less support from flight deck.

LOL. Again you fail to address my challenge/question.

I've told you that I watch the video, and there is no data of the carriage about F35B when launched from Izumo. You should be ashamed to have ask people watch video when you are asked the data/info - more over there is none the questioned data in the video. LOL.

Another blunder of you is equating izumo (helicopter carrier) with wash (aircraft carrier). Both are different type of carrier. Wasp should have longer place to take off + catapult, and bigger lift to carry aircraft into its hull.

It seems you are joking with this tread :laugh:

1. F-35B could utilize just like what they could in land airstrips
2. If you mean "it" as F-35B then Izumo could move them down by 2 of its own big elevators.

With your logic, then Izumo should be able to launch Rafale with full weapon and bring down with its lifter too, since Izumo length is only 13 m shorter than Charles de Gaulle.

:lol: :laugh: :lol:

Last edited:
I've told you that I watch the video, and there is no data of the carriage about F35B when launched from Izumo. You should be ashamed to have ask people watch video when you are asked the data/info - more over there is none the questioned data in the video. LOL.

Another blunder of you is equating izumo (helicopter carrier) with wash (aircraft carrier). Both are different type of carrier. Wasp should have longer place to take off + catapult, and bigger lift to carry aircraft into its hull.

It seems you are joking with this tread :laugh:

With your logic, then Izumo should be able to launch Rafale with full weapon and bring down with its lifter too, since Izumo length is only 13 m shorter than Charles de Gaulle.

:lol: :laugh: :lol:

1. When you compare CDG with Rafale and Izumo with F-35B, it's not perfect match. Rafale must be compared with F-35C. The difference is the design and at least 10 million dollar cost more on F-35B
2. USS Wasp and Izumo are exact identical types. As you watched F-35B doesn't require full length of USS Wasp to take off, only about 2-third. It's more than enough fight deck length Izumo could provide to them. And you seem just designed the catapult to USS Wasp.

About lifters, is it not enough ?
above : Hyuga
under: Izumo
gachar22ddh.jpg

This is how they put an Osprey into Hyuga hull
nn20130616a8a.jpg

Last edited:
1. When you compare CDG with Rafale and Izumo with F-35B, it's not perfect match. Rafale must be compared with F-35C. The difference is the design and at least 80 million dollar cost more on F-35B

This is idiotic reply.

I am not comparing the plane (f-35 vs rafale), but comparing carrier (izumo vs CDG).
Of course F-35 totally different with Rafale.

But Izumo should be nearby CDG in term of length.

Dont pretend to have dementia, it is you that claim izumo equal to wasp due to the similarity of LENGTH!

You are here claiming that Izumo should be able to operate F35B just like Wasp, due to their (izumo & wasp) similarity in LENGTH!

By your logic, Izumo should have similar capability in launching Rafale with CDG - due to its almost similarity in LENGHT.

2. USS Wasp and Izumo are exact identical types. As you watched F-35B doesn't require full length of USS Wasp to take off, only about 2-third. It's more than enough fight deck length Izumo could provide to them.

Does Izumo also has catapult like Wasp?
Does Izumo taking off platform has the same lenght as Wasp?

About lifters, is it not enough ?
above : Hyuga
under: Izumo
View attachment 197833

This is how they put an Osprey into Hyuga hull
nn20130616a8a.jpg

V-22 Osprey has wing that can be twisted, while F-35 has FIXED wing.

Whether it is enough or not, it is you who is obliged to prove, as you are the one making the claim. Bring here the dimension of the lifter here.

Last edited:
This is idiotic reply.

I am not comparing the plane (f-35 vs rafale), but comparing carrier (izumo vs CDG).
Of course F-35 totally different with Rafale.

But Izumo should be nearby CDG in term of length.

Dont pretend to have dementia, it is you that claim izumo equal to wasp due to the similarity of LENGHT!

By your logic, Izumo should have similar capability in launching a/c with CDG - due to its almost similarity in LENGHT.
My argument about aircraft type, while F-35B depends less from flight deck, F-35C and Rafale depend more.
F-35C couldn't take off from USS Wasp or Izumo but F-35B could

Does Izumo also has catapult like Wasp?
Does Izumo taking off platform has the same lenght as Wasp?

Yeah the most serious conclusion can't base on wrong initial data.
Wasp doesn't have catapult. So does Izumo
Izumo could offer the same length for F35B to take off.

Probably the hyuga lift is designed for osprey too.
Whether it is enough or not, it is you who is obliged to prove, as you are the one making the claim.

I gave you the clip before, but it seems that you didn't/couldn't watch it. So this time I offered the photo for sure.
See again the clip. I just want you to have a visual comparison on dimension of elevators.

16ddh-22ddh.jpg

Last edited:
My argument about aircraft type, while F-35B depends less from flight deck, F-35C and Rafale depend more.
F-35C couldn't take off from USS Wasp or Izumo but F-35B could

Who said F-35C could not take off from USS Wasp?
Wasp is true aircraft carrier, just like CDG.

See, assuming is your nature.

Wasp doesn't have catapult. So does Izumo
Izumo could offer the same length for F35B to take off.

As per expected, you are ignorant who like to drag claims.

Wasp facilicities including: 4 × hydraulic catapults (2 flight deck, 2 hangar deck)
USS Wasp (CV-7) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I said : Wasp is true aircraft carrier, just like CDG.

:lol:

So could you see now that Izumo and Wasp are totally different carrier? even if both have almost similar length.

So Stop making any claim if you are too ignorant :laugh:

I gave you the clip before, but it seems that you didn't/couldn't watch it. So this time I offered the photo for sure.
See again the clip. I just want you to have a visual comparison on dimension of elevators.
16ddh-22ddh.jpg

What do you intend to say with those picture above?

I exactly know both Osprey and F-35B can land on izumo, hyuga, even small ship.

But could Izumo launch F-35B with full of weapon? or at least how much load/weapon F-35B can bring when launched from Izumo?

That is the question that you FAILED to answer until now.

If F-35B launched from Izumo can only bring so small weapon load, then it will not be effective and at much disadvantage againts other a/c.

I hope you read and discern carefully what I am trying to explain you, so that you wont repeat the same stupidity, otherwise this thread will be hall of shame for you. :lol:

Last edited:
Who said F-35C could not take off from USS Wasp?
Wasp is true aircraft carrier, just like CDG.

See, assuming is your nature.

As per expected, you are ignorant who like to drag claims.

Wasp facilicities including: 4 × hydraulic catapults (2 flight deck, 2 hangar deck)
USS Wasp (CV-7) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I said : Wasp is true aircraft carrier, just like CDG.

The reason you probably don't understand what @BoQ77 is saying is because you are conflagrating two different concepts.

This is USS Wasp CV-7, Essex Class, in commission from 1940-42:

USS_Wasp_(CV-7).jpg

This is USS Wasp LHD-1, Wasp Class LHD, In service from 1989-present:

1024px-USS_Wasp_(LHD-1)_Osprey_2.jpg

@BoQ77 is talking about the Wasp Class LHD, not the Essex Class ship Wasp (CV-7). The Wasp and America Class (and to a lesser extend Tarawa Class) are analogous to the Izumo Class (Hyuga is more akin to the Tarawa Class), hence the comparison. Also, nothing BoQ77 has said is wrong, everything he has noted is feasible with the F-35 and Izumo.

The Japanese Izumo was designed knowing the F-35 would be used on it, though the design is being reinforced to ensure the safe operation of the F-35 and V-22.

The US intends to US the F-35 on its Wasp Class and America Class ships.

"The USN plans to deploy Wasp to the Asia-Pacific region in 2017 with a squadron of 16 F-35Bs."

USS Wasp (LHD-1) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even the pictures he gave are of the Wasp Class and not CV-7 Wasp!!!

But could Izumo launch F-35B with full of weapon? or at least how much load/weapon F-35B can bring when launched from Izumo?

The answer that would be given to you by the US Navy will equally apply to the JMSDF and its Izumo Class.

Last edited:
The reason you probably don't understand what @BoQ77 is saying is because you are conflagrating two different concepts.

This is CV-7, Essex Class, in commission from 1940-42:

View attachment 197841

This is USS Wasp, Wasp Class LHD, In service from 1989-present:

View attachment 197842

@BoQ77 is talking about the Wasp Class LHD, not the Essex Class ship Wasp (CV-7). Also, nothing BoQ77 has said is wrong, everything he has noted is feasible with the F-35 and Izumo.

The Japanese Izumo was designed knowing the F-35 would be used on it, though the design is being reinforced to ensure the safe operation of the F-35 and V-22.

The US intends to US the F-35 on its Wasp Class and America Class ships.

"The USN plans to deploy Wasp to the Asia-Pacific region in 2017 with a squadron of 16 F-35Bs."

USS Wasp (LHD-1) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Sven for the clarification. Noted that the wasp we should refer here is the LHD, not the Essex Class.

Then again with my question: "How much load that F-35B can bring when launched from Izumo?"

Maybe you can help him too?

This is essential question, because without enough weapon carried F-35B could be at disadvantage against other modern a/c fighter with full weapon.

Of course I believe any a/c with similar T/W ratio as F-35 (A/B/C) can also be launched from izumo too, but of course with very minimum carriage.

BoQ77 logic is only about similarity in Length.
In fact invincible class has shorter length compared to izumo, but invincible has ski jump deck.

As an effective a/c carrier, the ship need either ski jump or catapult. Otherwise some large LHD probably can only launched empty a/c fighter.

jap will get f35a more early than f35b
DDH is too small to take many f35b
China and jap are too close, f35a's range is enough
So, obviously, DDH with f35b is a amphibious assault ship's type without amphibious capability,not an aircraft carrier.

Back
Top Bottom